"OFF DUTY OVERLAND" teardrop trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think tongue jacks are overkill and too much weight in the wrong place. With a little practice you can set the rear stabilizers to level the trailer side to side as you use the tongue jack to level fore/aft.

Got the 100w renogy solar panel (hinged on top so can tilt up if needed), charge controller, and a 100ah battery installed.
All I'm running is a handful of led lights, and a couple fans. I have a lot to learn about solar... all I know now is that I can run everything I have now from dusk till bedtime and have plenty of battery left. What I used at night, the panel tops up the battery by mid morning. Going for a second camping trip this weekend for 2 nights. Going to run an inverter for the 19in led tv and bluray player during this upcoming trip and see how it all does. Only plan on one movie at night for the kids.

Got the rtt for the kids, too. Tepui Kukenam 3 Sky. Got a good deal on craigslist. Looks like it was never used, and the kids love it!
20180708_180919.jpg

Just curious about some of the details. What's the weight of the setup, not including rtt? Any issues with the weight transfer after removing the 2'?

I'm really liking your setup, but would want to do some kind of poptop style roof (westfalia or similar). Your trailer is giving me tons of ideas for what I want to do with mine, eventually.

Just curious about some of the details. What's the weight of the setup, not including rtt? Any issues with the weight transfer after removing the 2'?

I'm really liking your setup, but would want to do some kind of poptop style roof (westfalia or similar). Your trailer is giving me tons of ideas for what I want to do with mine, eventually.

I haven't been to the scales to weigh this thing yet, but I would think it's under 1500#'s ready to camp. My 100 series LX pulls it easily, and stops fine, even without trailer brakes (soon to be added).

No I'll effects removing 2' off the rear, but the trailer frame served as a material/ trash trailer for the past 12yrs, and can't really compare it. The way its setup, I have the battery, bbq, stove, ect under the galley. I dragged it going 65/70mph and it tracks smooth and straight, even after dodging some lettuce boxes in the highway..

For a diy setup, I'm really happy with it. Were actually out camping in it right now. If you can build one, do it! Theyre so much fun to build. The mrs is meeting us tonight for her first stay in the drop. It'll be the final test for this thing. Just hoping it passes! Lol!

Great job on the build. Wonderful fit and finish. I am currently building a similar trailer and Am wondering how you attached interior wood panels to the steel frame.

IMG_3194.JPG

I used sikaflex 252, and a few self drilling screws here and there. I put some wood filler putty over the screws and stained the panels. You cant see where I put screws unless you look for them. Seems to be holding up so far.

Thanks! The thing is a blast to camp in.

The skeleton is .065 1x1 square tubing, and side panels are 20ga galvanized sheet metal.

It was a pretty basic build. I was concerned about using the old big tex utility trailer. Ive dragged it well over 1k miles on and off road, and so far so good.

Let me know if you have anymore ?'s. I'll do my best to answer them.

Tepuifest 2019
20191019_184351.jpg
20191018_175532.jpg

Thanks! The thing is a blast to camp in.

The skeleton is .065 1x1 square tubing, and side panels are 20ga galvanized sheet metal.

It was a pretty basic build. I was concerned about using the old big tex utility trailer. Ive dragged it well over 1k miles on and off road, and so far so good.

Let me know if you have anymore ?'s. I'll do my best to answer them.

Tepuifest 2019View attachment 2156029View attachment 2156028
Dave this build is fantastic, over here in the UK there is very little info on diy trailers like this, I’m just about to embark on a project very similar to yours! I was wondering if you had any pictures of the entrance door construction & finished I’m interested how the hinges and locks are setup.
Thanks and I’m so happy I found your build to provide some inspiration!

Tom

Dave this build is fantastic, over here in the UK there is very little info on diy trailers like this, I’m just about to embark on a project very similar to yours! I was wondering if you had any pictures of the entrance door construction & finished I’m interested how the hinges and locks are setup.
Thanks and I’m so happy I found your build to provide some inspiration!

Tom
tom, welcome to this asylum we call mud. trust you'll start a build thread on your little endeavor :flipoff2: (official mud welcome)

Hey Tom, welcome to mud!

Thanks! They're definitely fun to build. The door/ rear hatch was the biggest PITA part of the build. Figuring out how to frame, hinge, latch, and keep out water took a couple weeks trial and error. It ended up being a pretty solid, inexpensive and keeps the water out.

I'll send you some pics I have on this phone to your mailbox. I'll charge up my old phone and look for some more pics that might be useful to you.

-Dave

Hey Tom, welcome to mud!

Thanks! They're definitely fun to build. The door/ rear hatch was the biggest PITA part of the build. Figuring out how to frame, hinge, latch, and keep out water took a couple weeks trial and error. It ended up being a pretty solid, inexpensive and keeps the water out.

I'll send you some pics I have on this phone to your mailbox. I'll charge up my old phone and look for some more pics that might be useful to you.

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Oh that’s great to hear its not just me that’s putting allot of time into something that should be pretty simple haha, Thank you so much that would be amazing!
Cheers

Tom

Great build.
Mine is going to be very similar to yours. I was going to buy my doors until I saw yours. Would you share some of your details with me. Those look to be within my skill level.

A few friends keep bugging me to build them one.
Man, if you do build more of these, I'd love to see you document your process on YouTube or something. I'd even pay for it if it was behind a paywall. I'm very interested in building one in this style and it would be great to see some of the finer details in construction.

Great build.
Mine is going to be very similar to yours. I was going to buy my doors until I saw yours. Would you share some of your details with me. Those look to be within my skill level.

Sure thing. Unfortunately I got wrapped up in building this thing, and didnt take too many pics of the process. Just let me know what need, and I could draw up a plan. I might have a couple pics, too.

First camping trip was a success! The Pinnacles is our close go to camping spot. Trailer did great. Monterey county roads are horrible. Pretty sure the trailer was airborne a time or two after hitting some rough sections of asphalt. After leaving the paved road, we hit miles of washboard dirt road. I thought for sure something would come apart, but all stayed solid. As we were headed up the grade, we watched the outside temp go from 80* (home) to 102* at the Pinnacles. Glad I insulated the trailer.

Overall, it had to have been the most comfortable camping experience I had. Kids were happy, and a nice comfortable bed to sleep on at night. Galley is critter proof, so no messy disaster in the morning.

View attachment 1730087

View attachment 1730082

View attachment 1730104
So, how is this trailer holding up? I am researching to start my own build soon. After many searches I am narrowing it down to at style like this. Gerry

So, how is this trailer holding up? I am researching to start my own build soon. After many searches I am narrowing it down to at style like this. Gerry

So far so good! Other than check the hubs, I haven't had to do anything to it. Its been solid. I did have to lube the door latch.... haha

Good luck with the build! I had a lot of fun building mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom