OEM suspension question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OME lift kits have been compatible with all '91-'97 LCs so I don't see why the newer OEM springs would have any fitness issues.

OME lift kits have been compatible with all '91-'97 LCs so I don't see why the newer OEM springs would have any fitness issues.

That makes sense, but the OEM parts have different part numbers according to CDan. Unfortunately the spring rates/valve info are not available so not sure what the performance difference would be.

After some more searching, I see a popular alternative is to go with OEM shocks/ OME springs. Usually don't like to mix/match stuff but seems like this would work fine and for less $$$.

Surprised the OEM/OME combo is cheaper than stock.

I know the OEM shocks are only $100.

How much are the OEM springs?

PS - Don't discount suspension bushings in adding to the "new" feel. I've switched them in many older vehicles when doing a suspension makeover and noticed huge results. I suspect the will be due in the 80.

If you have left the Michelin's for a different tire, I know I am not the only one to have done that, the spring rate shock valving discussion gets interresting. I can't imagine that the OEM setup is far superior to all others given the diffrent tires and uses we all experience. I love my OME setup, and wouldn't return to OEM for any reason. The best improvement I had with the OME was onroad performance. My OEM was so worn out at 150k it was dangerous.

Reach for the sky. If nothing else it looks better.

Surprised the OEM/OME combo is cheaper than stock.

I know the OEM shocks are only $100.

How much are the OEM springs?

PS - Don't discount suspension bushings in adding to the "new" feel. I've switched them in many older vehicles when doing a suspension makeover and noticed huge results. I suspect the will be due in the 80.

Yeah, the OEM shocks came out to 127.50, a set of springs from OME was 332 from SLEE, total 459.50

The quote for a set of OEM springs & shocks from a FZJ80 came out to 501.44. CDan mentioned the bushings are included.

Price wise is close, but I think I'm edging towards keeping everything OEM.

hope that helps

If you have left the Michelin's for a different tire, I know I am not the only one to have done that, the spring rate shock valving discussion gets interresting. I can't imagine that the OEM setup is far superior to all others given the diffrent tires and uses we all experience. I love my OME setup, and wouldn't return to OEM for any reason. The best improvement I had with the OME was onroad performance. My OEM was so worn out at 150k it was dangerous.

Reach for the sky. If nothing else it looks better.

My suspension set is getting pretty worn out...feels really sketchy when I take a corner coming off a freeway ramp. I'm sure I can't go wrong either way, I just feel I should either go completely OEM or OME since the spring/shock combo was engineered to go with each other.

will do a bit more research before making my decision.

I just got off the phone with CDan, he informed me the OEM springs for the '92 FJ80 are no longer available/ manufactured. The OEM shocks are. I can either go with OEM FJ80 shocks & aftermarket springs, or OEM shocks & springs from a '95 & up FJZ80.

Would like to replace both on my truck but not sure if using shocks & springs from an FJZ80 on a FJ80 will cause any installation/performance problems.

Any thoughts/suggestions? TIA

if you are looking to return your stock ride to a more safe, better handling feel and are not concerned with overall lift, replace the shocks as a "must". Worn out shocks do not allow the wheels to stay in contact with the ground and are responsible for much of your "body roll" issue etc.

Replacing the springs as well will make the ride "harsher" initially until those new springs are a little broken in - not nearly as important for on-road manners and safety, per se.

I would recommend replacing bushings (per Poorhouse) etc in addition to the shocks and see how the truck rides. Then, if you are feeling the need for some new springs, pick a set of the stock height Old Man Emu springs, which are rated for about the same application use as the stock springs, from what I can gather (without research really).

Getting into the aftermarket stuff will only add cost (and lift) to your truck. I recently installed a OME 2.5" medium kit (did not replace bushings) into my 80. I am super happy with the lift but I also have a bumper on it and I wanted a better ride height and view for living in the mountains with nasty weather and road conditions 10 months of the year. If I had to do it again, I'd do the lift but would get Bilstein shocks instead of the OME shocks - people seem to have great things to say about the ride of the Bilstein shocks over the OMEs. The OME 2.5" lift medium duty shocks ARE great once I put a couple hundred pounds of gear into the truck.

Good luck!

Brian

OEM springs & shocks from a '95 FZJ80 are on their way!!! Will report back when I get everything installed. Thanks everyone for their inputs, final decision was made based on matching the springs & shocks and trusting Toyota matched everything up & made it safe and perform well.

Can't wait to get everything on and go for a long ride :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom