OEM Rear Brake "Un-tighten" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crackdpot

2Cor4:7
Threads
Website
www.jonesdrafting.com
Replaced wheel cylinders & rear shoes, but I overtightened one wheel. Drove 10 miles to town, and it was stinky & smoking hot.

I know it's got the handy-dandy little slot at the inside of the hub....that's what got me into trouble.

Is there an easy method of backing this off a few notches, without removing the drum, because I probably can't get it off right now...

....or should I just let it wear in?

Thoughts?

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

The drum adjusters are loosened by using a small screwdriver. Its a bit finicky.

Don’t drive around with a dragging brake. Fix it.
F9E5D8A1-B2CE-4524-A789-CC9830CE41D1.jpeg

863BCE74-6AFC-487A-A8E7-135DEDB63762.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah...you just turn the star wheel the other direction. I have hand written directions in my paper-based manual to help remember which way to turn. This always confuses me. I also find it is easier to back off the star wheel (loosen the brakes) if you use a second screwdriver and push the auto adjusting lever away from the star wheel.

1670022246883.png

Okay, so, use a second screwdriver to hold the spring-loaded plate off the star wheel, and rotate the opposite direction...(Push the bottom of the star-wheel away from the inside of the hub.) Dunno how easy it's gonna be to get two screwdrivers in there, in the snow, but hey....that's what it's all about, right?

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your time.

:clap:

Okay, so, use a second screwdriver to hold the spring-loaded plate off the star wheel, and rotate the opposite direction...(Push the bottom of the star-wheel away from the inside of the hub.) Dunno how easy it's gonna be to get two screwdrivers in there, in the snow, but hey....that's what it's all about, right?

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your time.

:clap:

Yes. You use one small screwdriver to push the plate off the star wheel while using a screwdriver or brake tool to turn it. It can be tricky and you'll have to get the right feel for it. When you find a good spot on the plate and push you'll be able to feel the resistance of the spring. I have a pick with a right angle tip that I use instead of a screwdriver for pushing on the plate.

Hi, Check drum now for it being warped. Pads replace.

Replaced wheel cylinders & rear shoes, but I overtightened one wheel. Drove 10 miles to town, and it was stinky & smoking hot.

I know it's got the handy-dandy little slot at the inside of the hub....that's what got me into trouble.

Is there an easy method of backing this off a few notches, without removing the drum, because I probably can't get it off right now...

....or should I just let it wear in?

Thoughts?

Thanks & Merry Christmas.
You didn't over tighten. The rear shoes auto adjust every time you pull the parking brake. EDIT: when you put new shoes on don't bother adjusting the shoe tension with the screwdriver in the slot in the backing plate. Once everything is in place simply work the parking lever several times and they turn the star drag to the right tension. They may be over-adjusting on their own. If they are they will again if you loosen them as soon as you pull up on the hand brake a few times. See my post above and read the linked thread about shimming the offending brake shoe.

Last edited:
is 1 of the bellcranks stuck?

Hi, Bell cranks need to be sanded smooth and lubed once in awhile to get rust and dirt off.

Was able to carefully work the drums off. adjusted things back a bit. all is good. No wobble....drums seem solid.

Really appreciate what I've learned here, over the last 15 (Wow!, Ptoonya has been in the family that long!?) years.
Really appreciate everyone who takes the time to answer my questions.

Merry Christmas!
Gobble, Gobble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom