OEM parts in Canada? My experience with Japan 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a few posts on Japan 4x4 and thought it would be helpful to share my experience. I know the forums have a ton of great vendors for OEM parts but up here in Canada we get really burned on the exchange rate, duty, and shipping. This is when I stumbled on Japan 4x4 as a potential option.

First off let me say Dave with Japan 4x4 was an absolute pleasure to deal with. If you are anything like me it's nerve-racking to throw hundreds if not thousands of dollars down on an online purchase and hope everything arrives as advertised. Dave was with me every step of the way and had great communication throughout the buying process and delivery. One of the best pieces of mind for me was that I was getting my parts made to order directly from the Japanese factory.

I sent Japan 4x4 my parts request and Dave immediately reached out to begin verifying all the part numbers I had bombarded him with would actually fit my vehicle. Once we confirmed all the correct part numbers the order was placed and processed through paypal. He waited for everything to arrive in his shop to ensure it was packaged in the most cost effective way possible to ship to internationally. We agreed on a courier and processed the shipping payment. It arrived very quickly and was packaged superbly:
IMG-0718.jpg

IMG-0719.jpg

If you're looking for OEM parts Dave is a great resource. He even managed to find a few parts that were showing as discontinued on the North American sites I was looking at. Now I just need to find some time to install everything!

I've seen a few posts on Japan 4x4 and thought it would be helpful to share my experience. I know the forums have a ton of great vendors for OEM parts but up here in Canada we get really burned on the exchange rate, duty, and shipping. This is when I stumbled on Japan 4x4 as a potential option.

First off let me say Dave with Japan 4x4 was an absolute pleasure to deal with. If you are anything like me it's nerve-racking to throw hundreds if not thousands of dollars down on an online purchase and hope everything arrives as advertised. Dave was with me every step of the way and had great communication throughout the buying process and delivery. One of the best pieces of mind for me was that I was getting my parts made to order directly from the Japanese factory.

I sent Japan 4x4 my parts request and Dave immediately reached out to begin verifying all the part numbers I had bombarded him with would actually fit my vehicle. Once we confirmed all the correct part numbers the order was placed and processed through paypal. He waited for everything to arrive in his shop to ensure it was packaged in the most cost effective way possible to ship to internationally. We agreed on a courier and processed the shipping payment. It arrived very quickly and was packaged superbly:
View attachment 2512828
View attachment 2512833

If you're looking for OEM parts Dave is a great resource. He even managed to find a few parts that were showing as discontinued on the North American sites I was looking at. Now I just need to find some time to install everything!
Contact info for Japan 4x4

Just an FYI, on larger OEM items make sure he double boxes the parts, and ADDS EXTRA padding. I ordered a factory radiator for my 94 Land Cruiser. It was shipped to me in nothing but the original Toyota factory cardboard box.

The factory cardboard boxes are in a word, CRAP. So plan ahead, and spend the extra money to double box, so your parts arrive undamaged.

Below is a photo of the factory box that Toyota shipped their radiator to me in, as you can see there is VERY little padding. So little in fact, by the time my new radiator got to me, the filler neck on the radiator had poked a big hole in the side of the box.
1615259939265.png

Just an FYI, on larger OEM items make sure he double boxes the parts, and ADDS EXTRA padding. I ordered a factory radiator for my 94 Land Cruiser. It was shipped to me in nothing but the original Toyota factory cardboard box.

Mine shipped in the same box and was

The factory cardboard boxes are in a word, CRAP. So plan ahead, and spend the extra money to double box, so your parts arrive undamaged.

Below is a photo of the factory box that Toyota shipped their radiator to me in, as you can see there is VERY little padding. So little in fact, by the time my new radiator got to me, the filler neck on the radiator had poked a big hole in the side of the box.
View attachment 2608054

Mine shipped in the same box and was fine. Go buy from you local Toyota if you don’t like it.

Mine shipped in the same box and was fine. Go buy from you local Toyota if you don’t like it.
You got lucky that your radiator made it to you in one piece, as far as buying from my local dealer. I buy from them from time to time, but on most items they are 25, to 30 percent more expensive then buying from Toyota dealerships that sell on line.

View attachment 2608054
Radiators are a challenge to pack, normally the damage is to the fins and normally I do pull them out of the box and rewrap them with extra padding on the fins. If yours was damaged you should have immediately contacted Jappan4x4 and we would have told you how to make a claim with the carrier. I had no idea that your radiator was damaged and I suspect that by now it is too late to make a claim......

I think I will add that to my standard paypal thing, damage should be reported right away, but you know it sounds like do not insert screw driver in eye and I was hoping not to go that route long term.

View attachment 2608054

That why you buy them from the dealership. No shipping and replaced for free if damaged.

Cheers

Radiators are a challenge to pack, normally the damage is to the fins and normally I do pull them out of the box and rewrap them with extra padding on the fins. If yours was damaged you should have immediately contacted Jappan4x4 and we would have told you how to make a claim with the carrier. I had no idea that your radiator was damaged and I suspect that by now it is too late to make a claim......

I think I will add that to my standard paypal thing, damage should be reported right away, but you know it sounds like do not insert screw driver in eye and I was hoping not to go that route long term.
Thanks for your kind offer to make the damage to my radiator right, the only problem is, i didn't buy it from you. I bought it from a Toyota dealership on line. I buy some items from my local dealership, but they no longer offer a Mud discount. Buying my new radiator on line saved me 25% over what my local dealership would have charged me for the same part. I just wish the on line dealership had taken the extra time to pack it correctly.

Ah I see, the way your original post was written I thought that you order it from me. I ship a few rads every month so I know they are tough to pack. And people that email me do not always tell me they are MadDog40 or whatever from mud so putting 2 and 2 together is not on.

Sorry your experience was not so good. As a note to others always photograph the package and the contents if it is worth anything more than say $100.00. Even when we get a pallet of goods delivered that looks 100% perfect we photograph it from all sides before digging in to the boxes. It has saved my butt more than once. If there is any visible damage ask the driver to note it on the weighbill. If you find damage after unpacking make a claim with the carrier right away, then contact the seller. These steps will make your life a lot easier.

Emailing the supplier three weeks after you get the goods and telling them it got damaged in shipping and you have no photos, have not contacted the carrier and the dog ate the shipping label is not helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom