Odd issue with my 91 3fe!! HELP!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there,

I am having a issue starting my land cruiser. When the engine is hot or warm, it takes quite a few cranks to get it going. Seems like it is over fueling to me. I have read the FPS(fuel pressure regulator) and the FPD(fuel pulsation dampener) are known for causing problems. But i also have a strong fuel smell when it is hot outside and when I go to open my gas cap I have to let it vent for upwards of 30 seconds. If I do not vent the tank I can hear a bubbling hiss coming from the charcoal canister under the hood. Not sure if it is related.

Horrible fuel mileage. 6mpg... and I am easy on it. I get about 200-250km to a tank full.
Should I start with the FPR??? FPD!?? not sure what to begin with. the FPR is expensive is there a way I can test if it is working? same with the FPD?

HELP! this is getting expensive!!!

Thanks!

If the 3FE works like the 1ZFE, the vapors coming out of your gas tank may mean your vapor canister is toast. At least that is what is was on mine.

I had issues with starting my 92 3FE when it was hot or warm. It was the igniter. I didn't have the hissing noise that you mentioned. I replaced it with a used igniter I got from a mud member for $15. That was 5 years ago. Haven't had the issue since...

Leaky injectors can cause bad mileage, gas smell, and long start ups. After you turn engine off, they slowly leak, dripping gas into intake and you can smell it. No pressure in fuel rail on start ups and cold start injector doesn't shoot it like its supposed to. Bad milage cause they never stop dripping. Its like the clap

With the engine hot i performed a fuel pressure drop test and found the fuel injectors and cold start injector not leaking at all. i used 3 cans of injector cleaner over the course of a month and it cleaned them right out.

i will look into a replacement charcoal canister on Monday :)

what about the fuel pressure regulator and dampener? could those two cause issues? i was reading that they can cause off fluctuations in the fuel pressure and various running and driving complaints. Mine is mainly to much fuel pressure. i am going to test the fuel pressure with a gauge on Monday and see what my fuel pressure is at idle. just getting sick of this mileage and extreme lack of power. :mad:

is there any way to test the FPR and FPD? to verify if one or both is faulty?

Your truck is 24 years old and items with diaphragms in them are going to fail or have already failed. Get used to the idea that parts wear out and need to be replaced.

The FPR is known to cause hard starts when hot. If it has never been replaced then it is past due.

While the FPD is also suspect, it's job is to dampen the pressure changes in the fuel rail as the 2 banks of injectors fire. Think of it as a pressurized expansion tank. It can impact fuel mileage, but shouldn't be the cause of hard starting. However I would replace it as PM.

A faulty FPR can lead to problems with the check valve in the fuel pump. If the fuel rail is over pressurized, the check valve can become sticky and the only action is to replace the fuel pump.

There are tests in the FSM for the charcoal canister. Perform the tests before replacing and make sure there are no damaged vent lines that run just south of the fuel filter on the right side frame rail. You'll want to replace the fuel filter by this point anyway.

There is a pre-filter on the fuel pump that also clogs over time and should be replaced every 100K or so miles.

EFI relay.

I am well aware my truck is 24 haha. My other rig is 34 years old, I just wanted to make sure if there is a way to check the FPR and FPD to verify operation. I am well aware parts wear out and need to be replaced. not my first or last 20+ year old Toyota.

I will see availability of the FPR and FPD. Does not look like they have ever been replaced and my rig has 210,000km on it.

Thankyou!

Is your manifold cooling fan working?

Not to sure what you mean. If you mean the cooling fan for the radiator yes it it.

The 3FE came with a carryover carb cooling fan from the 2F. It blows air on the intake manifold and is controlled with an exhaust manifold mounted thermistor and relay. The squirrel cage fan motor is mounted behind the left headlight and there should be a plastic plenum that directs airflow to the intake.

York[1].jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom