Odd Cranking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
737C52A2-778E-459E-8792-CFB42F3C2AAA.jpeg
Finally getting back into a Fj40 and have a question about the way it is cranking. May have a bad ignition switch but want to check and see if anyone else has had this problem. When you turn the key and the truck turns over it will continue and not crank until you let off the key. Like the switch is not allowing power to go where it is needed. Make sense. As long as you turn the key it keeps turning over but does not fire up until you let off the key

Thanks

That's a safety feature. Nothing will wear out or break if it doesn't start. Seizing is still a possibility, though. :steer:

Another possibility would be if the ignition wire was on the accessory terminal of the switch.
But only feasible if the Ignition switch was replaced or disconnected for some reason.

I am going to replace the ignition switch and see what happens. Thanks for the help. When I get it replaced I will let you know what happens

I don't know guys, I think it has something to do with the missing passenger door and missing wiper motor cover! OK, I second the ignition switch being the culprit. Thank goodness your bezel was oriented properly.

I had wrong gauge wire running to starter which caused same issue. I know next to nothing bout electrical but seemed like wasnt getting enough juice till i let off key. Change to thicker wire and no more issues.

Are you getting 12v to the igniter when in "start" position. You should be getting 12V there in both "start" and "run". If not then it is probably a bad ignition switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom