Occasional No-start on 2006 LC - Long Term Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My 2006 will occasionally not start and has had a starting issue for years. It's currently happening again and the truck is stranded at home.

I've had my local Toyota dealer (great dealership) try to diagnose the issue three times with no luck. It was just at the dealer last Tuesday and Wednesday where they were able to see exactly what was happening. They tried another new battery which enabled the truck to start. They then reinstalled my battery and it also started right up. Now there's nothing for them to diagnose.

Details/Symptoms:
- New Toyota battery and fully charged
- Did a parasitic drain test and the draw measures 36mA. Dealer said up to 50ma is acceptable
- The negative terminal just cracked but is still making good contact. I have replacement battery terminals coming tomorrow
- When I turn the key to start: the dash lights work but flicker and the starter will not engage and makes no sounds
- When the key is turned to the second position: the dash lights flicker, the headlights will not work, and the dash lights go out
- When driving: sometimes the head unit screen will lose all power and restart the system
- Sometimes - when it will not start and all seems dead, I can get it to start by jumping starting it with another battery. This does not always work. The dealership put their jumper pack on and could not get it to start. Seems hit or miss.

Working on this now/today. I'll be disassembling and cleaning the positive battery terminal and connections.

Does anyone have any ideas for grounds to check including their locations? I have checked/cleaned the small body mounted ground wire on the right in the picture below. Any other thoughts are welcomed and appreciated. The next trip into the dealer looks to be expensive as they have no idea what's happening and I'll be paying for hours of diagnosis.

Thanks in advance for looking and any advice!

Cheers!

100 Battery.jpg

-

20221126_153459.jpg

Last edited:
Still searching for the issue.

If the battery is completely disconnected are there any computer or relay resets that may effect starting?
Are there any specific grounds I should check?

The dealership was able to get the truck to start only after completely disconnecting the battery. I picked the truck up and it started fine for 36 hours of intermittent use. Then it would not start again.

Today, I replaced the battery terminals and cleaned all the connections. This resulted in eliminating the flickering dash lights as they stayed on solid...but still would not start. I then disconnected the battery completely again, reconnected it, and it now starts.

The only common denominators I have found that result in the truck starting are:
1. Jump starting - works some of the time
2. Completely disconnecting the battery - has worked 3 times

I'll continue to shoot in the dark! :bang:

Thanks for any thoughts.
20230108_132039.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom