Observations on 35" Goodyear MT/R's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think these things are fantastic!

While I've had my MTR's for a few months now, and while in that time I've gone wheeling once before, today was my first day wheeling with these aired down properly to about 15 psi (prior wheeling trip was more about cruising around the park in the snow, and not really trying any obstacles.)

Now I have not previously wheeled with MT tires--all my prior experience has been with a range of AT tires--but I was really amazed how well these did. I'm not sure if it is the MT tread, the 35" diameter, or the 15 psi (previously lowest I've aired my AT tires down to was 18 psi), but the difference was very noticeable.

I drove around pretty much the entire day with all my diffs unlocked (didn't use my ARB lockers a single time.) This took me through a range of places at Rausch Creek where I had previously needed to lock center and/or front/rear to get across the obstacles. This time, the truck just rolled up and over just about anything. It was a little dangerous, as I was starting to feel a bit "invincible" there for a while (and we know how that ends.) Luckily for me, I made it through the day without my hubris catching up to me.

I know this is very light on any "facts" to support my observations, but from an overall experience perspective I was very surprised how big of a difference there was (prior tire was a 33" BFG AT/KO). Oh, and one more thing... at the end of the day there was not a single "scratch" or sign of damage to any of the tires (I don't know that I made it through a single trip with the AT/KO's without damaging the sidewall on at least one of the tires--I had to replace 3 of them over the course of the prior 10 months.) Big fan.
:cheers:
IMG_9982.jpg
IMG_9987.jpg

Sounds like the first time I went out with my Swampers. It changes things so much you have to find where the threshold is b/c it's not in the same place as at's anymore! Looks great BTW.

so, what DID you break then? :flipoff2:

I didn't "break" anything :)

The only thing that happened (again) -- is that I bent the flimsy ARB splash guard front edge (this is the metal cover underneath the bumper that would presumably keep junk from flying and hitting the winch.)

I continue to contemplate the purchase of some "L" shaped steel that I could bolt on with the existing bolts and would protect the exposed edge.
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg

yea, that ARB flimsy pebble guard likes to turn itself around quite a bit... I pulled the bolts and welded it up. I have bulldozed lots in the past few months and haven't had any issues yet.

c1c451aa.jpg

a910dcef.jpg

yea, that ARB flimsy pebble guard likes to turn itself around quite a bit... I pulled the bolts and welded it up. I have bulldozed lots in the past few months and haven't had any issues yet.

c1c451aa.jpg

a910dcef.jpg

Nice. I saw that one before--looks good, and seems like it's working great!

I was hoping to keep this easily removable. I'm planning on installing a winch, and having access to fix/clean/etc. seemed like a good idea.

I just wish they would put out the MT/R with a black wall in the 285/75-16 size.

Sonk, did u lift your truck with AHC or traditional suspension? What did you do to fit the 35s?

Sonk, did u lift your truck with AHC or traditional suspension? What did you do to fit the 35s?

I have a 20mm body lift, and I'm running stock AHC system with the sensor "lift". In the two pictures the 1st one is with the AHC in "High" mode, and the second one (on my driveway) in "Normal" height.

I have not yet adjusted any bump-stops. Have had minor contact to fender upon full compression--thought on my trip this past weekend I do not recall making contact a single time! I was thinking that perhaps tires have worn a few 1/16's and as such they no longer make contact; I'm not sure by how much they were contacting when brand new.

I'm considering lowering the bump-stops in the rear, but only after I move the shock attachement points so that I can preserve full range of motion on the shock.

Can you add any detail on your body lift? Did you ad spacers and a t bar twist to go with the AHC lift? I am thinking about getting the diff drop and doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom