OBD2 or 1 more desirable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
wuz wondering about the following. If I had to choose between a 95 and a 96, all other issues equal, would the OBD scheme be a relevant issue to take into account in the decision-making process? What I mean is, the OBD2 may help us find out what's wrong with the rig. OTOH, would that not also help the PRK's SEPBFEOEP (Smog Enforcement Political Bureau for Elimination of Evil Polluters) and similar ilks find all sorts of things wrong to deny us our god-given rights to enjoy dino products combustion? (j/k)
Sometimes too much info is not a good thing...
Yes, I know, I think too much. But what do you think? That an issue? Anybody got into trouble with this?
thanks
E

If you want to fully get away from OBD 2, you'll have to go with a '94 or older. '95 is a transition year but is more OBD 2 than it is OBD 1.

With OBD 1 you can pull 'check engine' light codes with a hotwired paperclip, with OBD 2 you need a scanner. You have to use a scanner on a '95.

Don't mean to steal the post, but where do you plug the obd2 scanner plug on a 1997 LX450 to read the code?

Fuse box, instrument panel, left of the steering colunm, (top of box IIRC)

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=7978;start=msg67594#msg67594 date=1069728887]
95 is an abortion of both. Stick with either 94- or 96+. :flipoff2:
[/quote]
Junk, care to elaborate? Did you mean just OBD wise or something else?

But then, again, can the evil guys find stuff in the OBD2 that they should not or that we can't erase as appropriate?
E

e9,
Uh, usually we reserve "the evil guys" for the dealers. :D :flipoff2: :D

If you don't want OBDII, then I'd stick with the 94. If you want OBDII or don't care, then I'd go 96+. Personally, I prefer the OBDII as yes, the mofos at inspection can track down more info, but so can I and the goober mech that I need help from in Bfawkville when I get stranded 500 miles from humanity. (I keep the OTC Mindreader in the truck). 8) :D

Ok, I know I should know better than to listen to Junk but now he's got me going on the OBD1.5 on my 1995 80.

Any issues whit OBD on my 95?

Does it matter which scanner I buy for my 95 and will it work?

Or should I just ignore Junk?

I got both types of vehicles and I prefer the OBD-II equipped vehicles. It's great for "on line monitoring" for such things as O2 sensor readings, tach, volts, manifold vacuum, timing, vehicle speed, etc.. The software and hardware is pretty reasonably priced. I got mine from http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ Junk is correct in that the '95 was a basterdized/transitional year for OBD-II. My '95 Legacy doesn't have all of the OBD-II functionality as the '96 FZJ80.

ali
'96

Ignore Junk. :flipoff2:

95 is nice because you get some of the advantages on OBDII but you can still read the codes with a paper clip and you can still clear them by pulling the fuse. I don't have the Toyota cartridge for my MT2500 so I don't know all of what is disabled, but I can get the codes and read the data through the OBDII port just fine.
The bad part is the smog nazis can't just plug in, they have to run the tests. The good news is if your EGR code has been on for two years, they don't fail you.

So what OBDII scanners do you guys recommend? I saw something on ebay selling for 49.95 called Creader. Is it better to get the whole scanner unit or the OBDII cable that interface with the PC?

LX450,
There have been two or three threads on this forum discussing the various OBD-II readers we have used. Some of the posts have screen shots and manufacturer links. Let us know if you come up empty and someone will find the links for you.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom