OBA for BJ74? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone found a spot in the engine bay of a narrow nose 70 series for onboard air compressor?
I crawled around with a ruler and can't find room for a Viair compressor 11"x7"x4".
I don't want to run heavy gauge wire very far from batteries.

I am curious about this as well. OBA is a down the road plan for me as well. Not sure what the BJ74 has for space around the edges, but I was thinking of using the space in the front right corner where I believe the headlight washer was from the factory:

1644866318563.jpeg

Yes, I looked there first. It’s about 6”x6”. For my BJ74, the aircon pipes run by there and limit options. I am hoping to get a compressor rated for about 2cfm.

I am curious about this as well. OBA is a down the road plan for me as well. Not sure what the BJ74 has for space around the edges, but I was thinking of using the space in the front right corner where I believe the headlight washer was from the factory:

View attachment 2924927

The bj74 has like no room anywhere under the hood :rofl:

@jblueridge my ARB compressor is under the drivers seat. I don’t have suspension seats so that’s a good spot for it.

Yes, I saw your build thread.
I was hoping to avoid more wires in the cabin.

Are you using one of the Viair 24v models or running a 12v through step down converter? I would like to get a continuous duty cycle compressor but that gets interesting for 24 v models. I did reach out to Puma to see if it was possible to get the PD1006 in 24 v; waiting to hear back. Finding a place fore everything is a challenge for sure.

View attachment 2924927

On my old BJ70 I had an earlier ARB compressor mounted there on a bracket made from a scrap of metal plate. It worked fine, but I was happier with it mounted in the cab like i did on my 74. It isn't quiet when it kicks in though.

On my old BJ70 I had an earlier ARB compressor mounted there
I checked dimensions for ARB single. ARB is too big for that spot.

I checked dimensions for ARB single. ARB is too big for that spot.
I’m told (haven’t actually seen one) that NAPA has their own air compressor. Perhaps an option.

Maybe this one from NAPA? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C
They say it is 300 litres per minute which converts to approx 10cfm. Too big for me and I'd like to use 24V.

Right now I have a portable Smittybilt unit which works well plugged in via Anderson powerpole connectors to the front 12V battery. Not ideal but I don't air down as often as I would like to.
1644941387213.png

I never put a center console in.
Thinking I could get a compressor plus decorative cover in that slot.

Hello,

Do you have suspension seats?

If you do not, there is space under the seats for the compressor. As noted above, it is noisy but there is enough space.

Juan

On my old BJ70 I had an earlier ARB compressor mounted there on a bracket made from a scrap of metal plate.
Yes, an ARB single will still fit.
The dimensions I read on Amazon were the size of the box the compressor comes in!

Twin batteries 24V?

I put my 24v ARB single up front where my non functional HL washer jug was. I made a plate to fasten to the inner wall using factory captive nuts. Then the compressor bolted to the plate with the compressor's factory plate sandwiched behind it.
IMG_20220218_152913_201.jpg

Air QC runs through former washer jet hole.

IMG_20220218_182333_186.jpg

Switch is in center floor console, so i can switch it on inside and then hook it up without opening the hood.

Awesome!
That is the plan I am working on.
Nice to see some pics of the final product!

How do you keep mud out of the front-facing air connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom