O2 sensors changed for free by dealers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 1988 Owner's Manual, on p.130 "Explanation of scheduled maintenance items" under "Oxygen sensor" states:

"Replace the oxygen sensor when scheduled. Your Toyota dealer will make this replacement (parts and labor) at no cost to you."

Do they still do that? And I'm the second owner, does that matter?

I'm getting codes 25 and 26 which apparently might be fixed by new O2 sensors, would be nice to get the whole job for free...

I'd think that you're over either the mileage or the time limit on that type of maintenance. But it cant hurt to call the dealer and ask. I'd be curious as to which dealer you use as well, and what your thoughts are on them. I used competition out in LI for the gas tank recall and they left some things to be desired.

I'd think that you're over either the mileage or the time limit on that type of maintenance. But it cant hurt to call the dealer and ask. I'd be curious as to which dealer you use as well, and what your thoughts are on them. I used competition out in LI for the gas tank recall and they left some things to be desired.

They damn well should for charging almost 2 benji's for one$$$$

Doubtful in the extreme that you will get free O2 sensors installed on a 10 year old rig. Regardless of what the owners manual infers.

If O2 sensors, then why not water pumps, pinion bearings, wheel bearings, brake pads and shoes, sparkplugs, cap and rotor, belts, hoses, driver seat foam, brake pedal rubber... anyway, I'm sure you get my drift. Not sure why the manual says that, but the O2 sensors usually last longer than all of the above mentioned components. They're all normal wear items that will always need to be replaced at some point due to normal use of the rig.

Mark...

Mark...

i think this might be worth investigating...over the years toyota has offered some unusual warranties that can only be found in the owner's manual. some years of the camry, (mid 90's) have a lifetime warranty to the original owner for all shock/struts (and associated componentry,) as well as a lifetime warranty on the exhaust system. some VW/Audi products have 10yr/100k warranties that cover everything from halfshafts to every seal and gasket under the hood plus waterpumps, pulleys, etc.; again, this info was only found buried in the owner's manual.

at work i almost got burned on this for i had a camry that needed struts and strut mounts. almost sold the job to the customer but decided to flip through the owner's manual to see what warranties if any were still valid. informed customer that toyota would do it for free and sent him to the dealer. dealer took care of it and customer was happy that we informed him that he could get all of the above taken care of for free. it hurt to not be able to sell the job but in the end he's still a loyal customer.

I have to agree. I'll be surprised, but it's definitely worth checking on.

What the heck, free's free. ;)

I routinely advise folks who contact me with blown 3.0s to talk to the local Toyota dealer before having me fix their engine.

So far all of these rigs have already had the factory supported repairs done. And they're blown again. :(

Mark...

You might call around a bit. I've found that MANY dealers don't know anything. I've never had my fuel tank replaced (under the supposed recall) because NONE of the dealers I've ever been to knew anything about it.

As a matter of fact, I was talking to one of the mechanics at the dealer one time and mentioned my FJ60, he didn't know what one was or who made it!

rhett121,

check out this link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

look up your vehicle and maybe you'll have to print out the recall and present it to the dealer in person.

I think his time limit is up.

O2 Sensors are considered an emmission related component.

In California, under the C.A.R.B. regulations and guidelines focusing on under 25hp engines. The manufacturer has to repair or replace all failed emision related components for a period of 2 years from the original purchase date. This is unless the emmision components are considered a regular scheduled maintenance item.

There is at least one manufacture of Handheld Equipment that has printed in thier owners manual to replace the Carburetor every 6 months and the Cat muffler once a year. Since this printed in their owners manual as a regular maintenance item the manufacturer does not pay for it under warranty.

Doubtful in the extreme that you will get free O2 sensors installed on a 10 year old rig. Regardless of what the owners manual infers.

If O2 sensors, then why not water pumps, pinion bearings, wheel bearings, brake pads and shoes, sparkplugs, cap and rotor, belts, hoses, driver seat foam, brake pedal rubber... anyway, I'm sure you get my drift. Not sure why the manual says that, but the O2 sensors usually last longer than all of the above mentioned components. They're all normal wear items that will always need to be replaced at some point due to normal use of the rig.

Mark...

Mark...

Well if you guys get free O2 sensors...

I am gonna see about about my warranty on the 500 dollar extra rust proofing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom