nut size of drum retaining nut on parking brake of fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone know the size of the drum retaining nut for the parking brake on a 1974 fj40 located behind the propellar shaft? I was told it was a large 24mm? is this correct? will I need a socket to get to it, or just an adjustable wrench.

I have that well documented issue of oil leaking from the transfer case into the parking brake unit, so I have no parking brakes.

any tips/hints on fixing this? I ordered one of those kits that contains all that is needed to fix the issues (brake shoes, seals, clips, dust cover, etc.). but wonder if I anything I should know. I was going to just park it on my driveway facing downhill, chock the wheels, and this way I do not have to drain transfer case. then, do the repair.

I think it's a 24mm. Did mine last year. If the sleeve on the e-brake drum is grooved up where the seal goes (like mine) it will start leaking again before long. I'm going to get a speedi-sleeve before I do mine again. It seems to be a pretty slow leak. Of course my parking brake doesn't work too hot either.

I just did mine, used one of two SAE sizes in my box--Can't remenber which, but try the 1 1/16, 0r 1 1/8. Whichever it was fit very well.

And, what's a speedi-sleeve?

The nut size is 27mm and you will most likely need a socket to get to it because it sits flush or below the surface of the parking brake drum.

Your plan for changing the seal sounds good. It is not very hard.

Richard

ratchet said:
The nut size is 27mm and you will most likely need a socket to get to it because it sits flush or below the surface of the parking brake drum.

Your plan for changing the seal sounds good. It is not very hard.

Richard

richard - just verified that 27mm is correct. thanks!

BTW, what are the chances of needing the 'speedi sleeve'? how often is it found that the area where the seal goes is grooved and really needs this sleeve?

also, when I pull the parking brake, the cable actuates the parking brakes, but it is just so weak, it is worthless. I then took some slack out of the line up at the firewall adjustment AND adjusted the bolt on the parking brake counter clockwise. a little better I admit, but I want it to dead stop this rig. would you agree that if I have fluid leaking through slowly on to my floor and my parking brake is weak that (a) it is not the cable (b) I need to do this fix as the seal is bad and has fouled the brake pads?

yeah, I see a little up the cable, but you can see where it drips out the bottom of the parking brake assembly at the lowest point.

Nick the Carpenter said:
speedy sleeve new seal lots of greese on seal be done :cheers:

why the speedi sleeve? that is about the same cost as a repair kit, and I am not 100% sure I even need it?

Nick the Carpenter said:
if you can run your finger nail on seal surface and feel grooves it needs to have a sleeve put on the surface [speedy sleeve]

:cheers:

yes, I have read that several places, the question more is, how often is this really needed? rare and in really bad cases? or pretty often? if it is pretty opften, why is it not part of the kits you can buy?

I want to have all items on hand to do the repair, but did not order this as I was thinking it is pretty rare to need that sleeve and more times than not, it is just a bad old seal leaking.

but, I do not not the stats on that?? need someone who works often on them to tell me what they see most often before I pop another unknown 35.00 for the sleeve.

I think it is VERY common to have a grooved surface contributing to the leak. 35 years of that seal riding that surface takes its toll. You have alternatives to fix the problem: speedie sleeves, replacing the drum, double seals. Or, some folks just live with it and keep tossing in more gear oil. SOR sells the sleeves on the same page as the rebuild kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom