Nut size needed for valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm headed to Napa in a few minutes and wanted to know the nut size for the adjusters found on my rocker assembly. I want to buy that nifty little valve adjustment tool.

Is it a 17mm??? 1978 2F engine.

ADDED LATER: who sells these wrenches with the crewdriver thingy on them, Napa no longer sells them in my location. any advice on a decent vendor? I don't need super snapon quality and price as I do one of these a year at max.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mine is 17 mm. Heck, even if it isn't, you should have a 17 mm wrench for your rig anyways.

:cheers:

edit: I just read the Birfield link. Did the adjuster nut change size at some point? I'm pretty sure mine are 17 mm on my 71. I have a special box end wrench just for that purpose. Anybody know?

WAIT!

Did it change for a 2F? Despite what morgan and jim say, Ed's F 1/2 takes a 17.

:flipoff2:
IMG_1589 (Large).jpg

Mine's 14mm but it's a B-diesel:
tappetadj.jpg
tappetadj.jpg

Looks like I'm right on the borderline. My engine is a 79', and the rocker shaft is off of????.... Looks like I'll need to look further into this one.

I was at Napa today and they didn't have the wrench I wanted. You know the one with the screwdriver built in?? Anyone have a good source for these?

Also I need to adjust these lifters cold and get them close before I start up and run the engine for tune, timing etc. I plan on a hot adjustment afterward. Will valve lash for the hot setting be close enough until I get her good and hot? Thanks fellas

Also I need to adjust these lifters cold and get them close before I start up and run the engine for tune, timing etc. I plan on a hot adjustment afterward. Will valve lash for the hot setting be close enough until I get her good and hot? Thanks fellas

Yes, you can start with the hot setting, but if you want to add a couple of thousandths (instead of .008 and .014, use .010 and .016) setting it cold, you'll come out plenty close and it will run fine.

I've experimented to see whether clearances in my engine ACTUALLY differ between hot and cold and could find NO difference (despite FSMs always specifying "hot" or "cold").

So unless you've had the head off (in which case "squashing of the new head gasket under heat" may reduce valve clearnaces), I think you should be able to get it pretty well spot on with just your initial cold adjustment.

:cheers:

I had been told to add to the cold adjustment by a few folks, up to 004. Yes the head has been redone and I'm starting over again from scratch. I plan setting a cold valve lash. running the truck, common timing and carb adjustment, get it to peak temp and then pull off the cover and reset the valve lash at the hot setting. Sure wish I could find one of those nifty tools. oh well.

Don't forget to retorque the head and rocker arm assembly bolts after a warm cold cycle, too. That may affect your results slightly.

Yes Dave this is a good observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom