Nothing of interest here, #2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I usually live in the 40 section but I'm on a hiatus from the cruiser and have been occupying my free time with this guy. I know it is of no interest to anyone here being 2wd but hey, it's right there in the title so you were warned. Mainly creating this thread to keep track of pics, prices, parts used, and everything else that is forgotten about in time. Hopefully I'll never need it but could be super handy in a insurance claim(especially a total loss). No pics of when I first got it, imagine this without the bed. Purchased truck a couple years ago so they're on a dead phone.

KIMG2319.JPG

KIMG2320.JPG

KIMG2321.JPG

KIMG2322.JPG

KIMG2323.JPG

I bought the bed several years ago, 500 bucks as I recall. Truck has just over 100k on the odometer. Story is, old guy bought it new and basically never changed the oil. Guy I bought it from had tore it down to do a sbc swap before sort of putting it back together and selling. No explanation of where the original bed was other than it's gone. Bummer, I'm sure it was immaculate. What's there is incredibly clean. I'm not sure what the storage conditions were for the original 22re while it was out of the truck for the never attempted sbc swap but my guess is outdoors, no cover. Check out the sweet oil pan rust holes

KIMG2350.JPG

KIMG2327.JPG

KIMG2328.JPG

KIMG2329.JPG

KIMG2325.JPG

Donor truck is a 03 Tacoma that suffered a little body damage, package deal with another Taco a few years ago. 600 bucks. Bought a transmission/associated pieces I needed to mate the 2rz to my existing trans from a local salvage yard for 350.

KIMG2411.JPG

KIMG2443.JPG

KIMG2444.JPG

KIMG2415.JPG

KIMG2410.JPG

I've read several swap threads both here and elsewhere -big thanks to @liveoak !! Taking tips there, I installed some heat control and re routed some fuel lines, which I robbed from the donor truck

KIMG2444.JPG

KIMG2446.JPG

KIMG2453.JPG

KIMG2447.JPG

Screenshot_20230522-200420.png

Engine does fit, but the oil pan and steering center link are fighting for space. Also had to remove the lower control arm bracket reinforcement. I will rebuild it into a combination skid plate that will actually clear the oil pan. To clear the steering I ended up putting a 1/4" plate between the frame perch and engine mount on both sides.

KIMG2461.JPG

KIMG2459.JPG

KIMG2460.JPG

KIMG2462.JPG

Picked up some more pieces, a manual transmission ECU, a missing rear bumper, missing radiator, and carpet to replace the original which apparently was destroyed by mice while PO had it torn apart.

Screenshot_20230522-195700.png

Screenshot_20230522-195643.png

Screenshot_20230522-195651.png

Screenshot_20230522-195724.png

Had a decent day on the truck today, got all the brake connections back together and system bled so brakes are functional again. Po had taken most of the connections apart for reasons unknown. Also got the clutch hydraulics ran and tied together and bled, so now have a functional clutch. Throttle is all hooked up now, used the original 94 cable and tied into the 03 donor throttle at the cruise module. The cable was the correct length and dropped right in like it was made to go there. Modified the original bracket and mounted the cruise module to the fender apron with some rivnuts.

KIMG2470.JPG

KIMG2471.JPG

KIMG2473.JPG

KIMG2472.JPG

Also got fuel lines adjusted for final fitment and hooked up at both the engine and where the new lines meet the old ones. Re routed my EVAP line to avoid exhaust heat as well. Swapped donor ac compressor in, used original 94 compressor top plate and 03 donor truck compressor. Evacuated and charged the AC. Mocked up my 4 core radiator, original lines from the 2rz line up perfect. Got heater hoses hooked up, again I used the 2rz hoses. Had to cut one for length but they worked great.

KIMG2466.JPG

KIMG2467.JPG

KIMG2470.JPG

KIMG2468.JPG

KIMG2469.JPG

Covered some more ground this weekend. Got the cab bolted down- all hardware was missing. Investigated why the fresh air/recirculate lever wouldn't move... Cleaned out what turned out to be a giant mouse nest from inside the blower motor/heater box. Got the fan/ shroud done, used a 22re fan/ clutch and shroud. Had to oversize the mount holes in the clutch to clear the studs on the 2rz. Also got a battery mount worked up. Used the tray pictured and attached to the fender apron with rivnuts. Also built a bracket to support the portion that hangs past the apron and tied it back in to the vertical portion of the fender apron near the steering gearbox using existing holes. Mounting the batt tray at a slight angle allowed me to retain the original coolant overflow, although I did have to move it a few inches towards the radiator.

KIMG2480.JPG

KIMG2483.JPG

KIMG2482.JPG

KIMG2481.JPG

KIMG2485.JPG

Next up I tackled the air box/ intake tube. I used a metal air filter box from a 85-88 22re truck which I turned sideways. One original mount was able to be utilized as is, one I had to bend slightly and the third I had to cut spot welds and re align/weld back on. Installed rivnuts for all 3 mount points. Bought some odds and ends to build the intake tube.

KIMG2487.JPG

KIMG2488.JPG

Screenshot_20230617-201004.png

Screenshot_20230617-200639.png

Screenshot_20230617-200626.png

Once I knew where my MAF was going to land I set to modifying the air box lid. Plasmaed out a flange and used some more cardboard templates to figure out how is tie it all back together.

KIMG2490.JPG

KIMG2489.JPG

KIMG2488.JPG

KIMG2491.JPG

KIMG2478.JPG

I moved/enlarged the hole in the lid to suit the new maf inlet and set to welding everything up. I'll go over all the seams with 3m panel bond adhesive to ensure it's all air tight before I throw some paint at it. Once I do that and my last coupler shows up and I get some correct sized clamps the intake system is done.

KIMG2495.JPG

KIMG2494.JPG

KIMG2493.JPG

KIMG2492.JPG

I don't know what it is, but for me, most of your pictures seem low quality, almost like a grainy black and white, especially the engine pics. what kind of camera are you using or how are you uploading? I am enjoying this thread otherwise. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 92 2wd pickup

Last edited:
I don't know what it is, but for me, most of your pictures seem low quality, almost like a grainy black and white, especially the engine pics. what kind of camera are you using or how are you uploading? I am enjoying this thread otherwise. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 92 2wd pickup
I'm just using my phone to both take and upload the pics, if I were guessing I probably had greasy fingers smeared on the camera lens again. For future pics I'll try to remember to check that it's clean and hopefully end up with higher quality shots. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I finally got to spend a little time on this project today. I bought one of those mandrel exhaust bend kits hoping to make something work for this rig, I started cutting and welding until I had went about as far as I could without having hangers. It could be better but could be worse. Built one more heat shield, I may header wrap the first couple feet of the pipe as well.

Screenshot_20230709-182701.png

KIMG2515.JPG

KIMG2518.JPG

KIMG2517.JPG

I also got the air box all sealed up, I'll do a little sanding once it dries to smooth out the edges and throw a little paint at it.

KIMG2519.JPG

KIMG2516.JPG

Didn't get to spend as much time or cover as much ground as I wanted on the truck this weekend but I did manage to get the intake and exhaust both finished up. Box in engine pic is clamps used for the intake tube.

KIMG2520.JPG

KIMG2521.JPG

KIMG2527.JPG

KIMG2528.JPG

Got some work done on the truck today, removed the bed and put it on my bed dolly so it could easily be moved around for bodywork and paint. Cleaned up some wiring to rear lamps and installed new shocks front and rear. I believe I narrowed down my low quality pics to the poor lighting in the shop so I've been trying to add extra light for pics when I can.

KIMG2537.JPG

KIMG2536.JPG

KIMG2540.JPG

KIMG2539.JPG

KIMG2541.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom