Nothing of interest here, #2 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got all the sanding done and got the bed painted this weekend. I'm happy with how it came out. Hopefully next weekend I can get the spray in bed liner done and maybe even set the bed back on the truck.

KIMG2672.JPG

KIMG2674.JPG

KIMG2673.JPG

I got tied up with house projects and haven't been able to get anything done on the truck for a couple weeks. This weekend I finally got to get back on it. Did a ridiculous amount of super tedious sanding. Used a d/a where I could but lots of it was by hand. While I was doing this marathon sanding session I saw the factory seam sealer was dried out and cracking loose/falling off. I scraped it all out and hit all the seams with some 3m heavy bodied seam sealer, part number 08308 before spraying the liner. No pics of the work along the way but here's a few shots of the finished product. Can't wait to get to put this thing back together.

KIMG2688.JPG

KIMG2687.JPG

KIMG2689.JPG

KIMG2690.JPG

I got tied up with house projects and haven't been able to get anything done on the truck for a couple weeks. This weekend I finally got to get back on it. Did a ridiculous amount of super tedious sanding. Used a d/a where I could but lots of it was by hand. While I was doing this marathon sanding session I saw the factory seam sealer was dried out and cracking loose/falling off. I scraped it all out and hit all the seams with some 3m heavy bodied seam sealer, part number 08308 before spraying the liner. No pics of the work along the way but here's a few shots of the finished product. Can't wait to get to put this thing back together.

I have not forgotten you sir. There is a “wee bit“ O Uncle Chunga‘s magic elixir (Preston County Branch Water) with your name on it…Aging nicely. I’ve been busier than a one armed man with the hives all summer. But, as promised, I‘ma hook you up cuzz.

I have not forgotten you sir. There is a “wee bit“ O Uncle Chunga‘s magic elixir (Preston County Branch Water) with your name on it…Aging nicely. I’ve been busier than a one armed man with the hives all summer. But, as promised, I‘ma hook you up cuzz.
I understand fully, seems like often life is straight from solving one problem on to the next two, or three...and can be damn near impossible to get to the things we WANT to do. Every now and again though, we're rewarded with a little shop time. Maybe good things do come to those who wait. Speaking of which, it's nice to see the mule is getting a (well deserved) spa day! At the rate I'm going we may finish about the same time and can have a celebratory long distance drink! 🥃🥳

I was finally able to get some shop time in today, pushed the truck out and wheeled the bed into the lift bay. The lift made short work of lifting the bed and setting it back on the chassis. Rigged up a fancy push block on my s***box car and used it to get the truck back in the shop, it beat the hell out of pushing it by hand.

KIMG2701.JPG

KIMG2697.JPG

KIMG2693.JPG

KIMG2698.JPG

KIMG2695.JPG

Once the bed was back in place I put all the clips, hardware and linkages in the new tailgate and got it hung. Painted the new bumper and got it mounted along with taillights and bed anchors. Reinstalled all the interior trim pieces I had removed to put the carpet in, with the exception of the passenger kick panel since I'm not done needing access to the ecm. I hope to see this thing move under its own power in the next few weekends...I'll get it running just in time for winter to hit and I won't want to drive it. Hopefully I'll get to put it on the road a time or two before snow flies and salty roads keep me from taking it out.

KIMG2715.JPG

KIMG2713.JPG

KIMG2704.JPG

KIMG2703.JPG

KIMG2716.JPG

Last edited:
Did the fan shroud make it in this weekend?
Not as far as I'm aware, but I had you ship it to my dad's place since he's just a couple miles from me and shipping companies never seem to be able to find my house...could be that my unmarked driveway looks like a pasture entrance if you didn't know otherwise. I'll check with him and let you know. Thanks again!

Spent some time this weekend tinkering, knocked out a bunch of little nick knack things that needed finished up. Got my upstream o2 bung placement finalized and welded in, oval shaped a section of the exhaust downpipe to make it easier to slip between the torsion bar and frame so i could actually remove it later should the need arise, tied in fuel return at the tank, modified the lower control arm tie bracket to clear the oil pan and fabbed a small skid plate for it to make me feel better. Ran power from the battery to the original underhood fuse block which gave me the ability to operate some of the lights and electrical accessories- which are the first signs of life I've got out of this rig since i got it several years ago. Tied alternator charge wire back into the original harness, and extended neg. Body ground lead so it could reach a factory nutsert equipped hole. Also installed the fan shroud I got from @brettk after a tiny bit of modification and adjustment it clears the fan and is a significantly better quality piece than what i had. None of this was really pic worthy but I took a couple anyways.

KIMG1411.JPG

KIMG1412.JPG

KIMG1410.JPG

KIMG0557.JPG

KIMG1409.JPG

Spent some time this weekend tinkering, knocked out a bunch of little nick knack things that needed finished up. Got my upstream o2 bung placement finalized and welded in, oval shaped a section of the exhaust downpipe to make it easier to slip between the torsion bar and frame so i could actually remove it later should the need arise, tied in fuel return at the tank, modified the lower control arm tie bracket to clear the oil pan and fabbed a small skid plate for it to make me feel better. Ran power from the battery to the original underhood fuse block which gave me the ability to operate some of the lights and electrical accessories- which are the first signs of life I've got out of this rig since i got it several years ago. Tied alternator charge wire back into the original harness, and extended neg. Body ground lead so it could reach a factory nutsert equipped hole. Also installed the fan shroud I got from @brettk after a tiny bit of modification and adjustment it clears the fan and is a significantly better quality piece than what i had. None of this was really pic worthy but I took a couple anyways.

View attachment 3492179

View attachment 3492180

View attachment 3492181

View attachment 3492182

View attachment 3492183
Glad it worked for you! Good work as always.

My wiring harness finally made it here on Friday, and today I was able to get in some shop time and got it half assed installed. Still need to finalize some routing and secure the harness to my liking, along with making some more connections for the cruise circuit but I got to a point that I had all the important connections made and it should theoretically crank and start. I was jonesing pretty bad to hear it run at this point so I hopped in and hit the switch. It'd crank but no attempt to fire. Gave it a shot of ether to see what would happen and got a little sputter out of it. Ok, so I'm not getting fuel, great. Pulled the connector apart at the pump and hotwired it to my jump pack. Absolutely nothing. Well s***, I got all excited for nothing. For the hell of it, I left my jump pack connected and gave the bottom of the tank a couple good whacks with a dead blow and immediately heard the hum of a running fuel pump. At this point I'm about to piss all over myself with excitement so I plugged the pump back in to the harness, set up my phone again to video the potential first fire up and once more crawled in and hit the switch. This time it fired! I gave it a few minutes of run time, nothing was leaking and the fuel pump didn't crap out so I hopped in and took it around the block. Stoked!! I've still got a couple weekends worth of work before I can call it "done" but I'm very happy to see it run and to have been able to finally take it on its maiden voyage. Tried to post up the video of the first fire up but apparently I'm not smart enough for that so pics will have to do.

KIMG1413.JPG

KIMG1476.JPG

KIMG1474.JPG

Hell yeah! Such a good feeling. Congrats.
Thanks! I've had many prior projects and have been through the first fire up routine before, but it never gets any less thrilling to hit the switch and hear one spring to life for the first time in many years. I've owned it for 3, and if I remember correctly the guy I got it from had owned it another 3-4 so this weekend was the first time this thing had ran/moved under its own power in at least 6 years. I was still pretty stoked about it today so I drove it to the local carwash and gave it a bath, just because I could!

KIMG1477.JPG

KIMG2204.JPG

KIMG2203.JPG

KIMG1829.JPG

I've not been real great about updating the thread lately so this may be a bit disorganized. Over the last month or so of weekends I've finished up on alot of detail items. Added a 22° bend to the exit on my exhaust to get it to dump further from the bedside. I thoroughly cleaned out all the body cavities, bed stringers, cab floor supports, inside of doors and rockers etc. after everything was squeaky clean and completely dry I literally applied winzer tek-wax to all aforementioned areas along with inside of the bedsides, above wheelwells, and anywhere else that could benefit from being sealed from the elements. If you've not used it before, it's basically aerosol cosmolone. I use a 3' hose with a 360° spray fitting in the end of it for inside of any inaccessible cavities. Used the rubber plugs shown above to seal up the access holes in the rocker panels that were factory sealed with butyl tape.

Screenshot_20240209-192902.png

Screenshot_20240209-193015.png

Screenshot_20240209-192941.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom