Nothing of interest here, #2 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KIMG2544.JPG

KIMG2543.JPG

KIMG2546.JPG

KIMG2545.JPG

KIMG2542.JPG

I got the firewall grommet fished off the original engine harness and back on to the rz harness, and got the engine harness landed inside the cab.

KIMG2554.JPG

KIMG2550.JPG

KIMG2555.JPG

KIMG2551.JPG

Pulled what was left of the interior and started installing the new carpet. I had to take a moment to marvel at how clean the floor is in this truck. Initially I was pretty unimpressed with the carpet, it didn't appear to fit well and I should have gone with a darker gray. After a ridiculous amount of time and test fitting along with some cutting and trimming I believe it will be acceptable. I'm going to let it sit and relax for a while before I cut in the rest of the holes for seat bolts and belts.

KIMG2556.JPG

KIMG2552.JPG

KIMG2557.JPG

KIMG2553.JPG

I personally think that 2 wheel drive toyota pickups are awesome.
Yes I have a 4x4 toyota but most of the time I am not four wheeling. Most of the time I just need something to get me to work and maybe haul some cans in to recycle. The 2 wheel drive toyoder excels at just that, while getting unbelievable fuel mileage. Parts are cheap, gas, insurance and registration are cheap and it keeps the miles off of the landcruiser, not that my landcruiser is afraid to put in miles...
It's much much more efficient to drive a small light truck for basic daily tasks...
Cool truck and cool swap.

I personally think that 2 wheel drive toyota pickups are awesome.
Yes I have a 4x4 toyota but most of the time I am not four wheeling. Most of the time I just need something to get me to work and maybe haul some cans in to recycle. The 2 wheel drive toyoder excels at just that, while getting unbelievable fuel mileage. Parts are cheap, gas, insurance and registration are cheap and it keeps the miles off of the landcruiser, not that my landcruiser is afraid to put in miles...
It's much much more efficient to drive a small light truck for basic daily tasks...
Cool truck and cool swap.
You just hit pretty much every key point on the list of reasons I came up with to convince myself I needed to build this truck. I've driven nothing but Toyota pickups my entire adult life. I've currently got 2 4x4 pickups tagged and insured- a 06 doublecab Tacoma "good truck" and a 93 xcab "not so good truck" for beater duties. Thing is, neither get spectacular mileage and 95% of my driving is to and from work on dry pavement. (My work commute recently became 45 miles round trip instead of 12) Enter my current daily driver-a 87 Celica with 112k on the clock that was essentially abandoned at my house. Ended up buying it for next to nothing and a few hundred bucks later I've got a fairly solid(but ugly) little shltbox getting 30+ mpg. It's already saved me more in fuel than I've got into it and tags and insurance are basically free(antique). Smart money is to keep driving it till the wheels come off but it doesn't have ac (never equipped with it) and...it's just not a truck. I already had this project truck and the donor truck in my crap collection so i decided i could/should build this rig and I would likely get around the same mileage as I do with the Celica but would gain ac and be in a truck again. It's gonna take significantly longer to pay back my investment in fuel savings than the car did but, it'll be cool not driving a P.O.S. car every day. -and im committed at this point.

Got a little ground covered on the bed today, stripped the pinstripes off it which was a giant pita- they were all cooked on. Also removed everything that needed to come off for paint. Finished up by giving it a good bath with dawn soap.

KIMG2580.JPG

KIMG2578.JPG

KIMG2579.JPG

KIMG2581.JPG

KIMG2582.JPG

While I was at it, I pushed the truck out and washed it too. She cleans up pretty nice, with a little buffing it'll look great.

KIMG2577.JPG

KIMG2575.JPG

KIMG2576.JPG

Did some metalwork on the bed this weekend, there were a s***load of holes to weld up from a old button type tonneau cover, in addition to some mangled up wheel wells.

KIMG2590.JPG

KIMG2591.JPG

KIMG2593.JPG

KIMG2589.JPG

KIMG2592.JPG

There was also damage at the front bed corners, I think the bed had a roll bar mounted (poorly) and the truck it was on was rolled. The front bed corners are pulled up and tore loose several spotwelds. The series of small holes around the edges are from when po of this bed "fixed" this area with self tapping screws.

KIMG2593.JPG

KIMG2595.JPG

KIMG2594.JPG

A little cutting, welding, and grinding later and it's looking a little better.

KIMG2603.JPG

KIMG2604.JPG

KIMG2607.JPG

KIMG2606.JPG

KIMG2605.JPG

Got out the stud gun and did some dent pulling, along with hitting all my weld repair areas with a layer of 3m panel bond adhesive. I use this for anywhere a weld repair has been done in case I've missed a pinhole. It's a direct to metal product, is waterproof, and sands/feathers better than kitty hair/duraglas/allmetal or any of the other waterproof fillers I've used. It's also pretty expensive so I just use enough to cover the weld area, with very little build.

KIMG2613.JPG

KIMG2610.JPG

KIMG2615.JPG

KIMG2616.JPG

KIMG2611.JPG

Blocked out the bedsides to kill the pinstripe lines and bring out the problem areas.

KIMG2614.JPG

KIMG2615.JPG

One of the few gripes Ive had about these trucks as I've driven them over the years is what in my opinion, is a insufficient amount of time down points. Many times I've found the location of the factory tie downs don't allow for strapping cargo to my liking and end up hooking under the bed rail which honestly isn't up to the task. I believe I'm going to add anchor points as pictured. Thoughts?

KIMG2617.JPG

KIMG2618.JPG

I've spent the last few weekends doing bodywork on the bed. I also bought a new tailgate, which showed up mangled.

KIMG2627.JPG

KIMG2626.JPG

KIMG2628.JPG

KIMG2625.JPG

Knocked out the repair work on the tailgate and managed to get the whole works in primer this weekend. I didn't remember to take any pics throughout the bodywork, it looks pretty much the same the fourth time you sand it as it did the first. I'll still have more block sanding in my near future but at least it's on the downhill stretch.

KIMG2637.JPG

KIMG2638.JPG

KIMG2640.JPG

KIMG2639.JPG

Ordered spray in bedliner, I've used this brand numerous times in the past and always have had good results. I want to spray it before I put the bed back on the truck so I can avoid masking the cab. Hopefully the next couple weekends will see this thing painted and lined. I'm stoked to see it all one color and back to resembling a complete truck again.

Screenshot_20230918-222229.png

Screenshot_20230918-222202.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom