Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are any number of ways to get the vehicle into the US. Clearly that has happened. What is difficult is to get a non DOT/EPA/NHTSA approved vehicle approved so that someone can legally and permanently register and drive it as a passenger vehicle (and not just run it through a title mill state and hope that CBP doesn't catch up). Two things trouble me about this: why start the whole venture off with an absurd eBay scam? And if your "mechanical genius" brother truly has invented some black box technology to solve the emissions problem (a chemistry problem) ex post facto, why not spend your time and money patenting and licensing that technology to become millionaires? Does your love of Land Cruisers outweigh your desire to make money that much?

There really are lots of folks who would love to see this happen, but the entire tenor of the way it has been presented is sketchy to say the least. No other vendor connected to this forum operates in this way (at least not anyone who lasts).

This is THE community that matters when it comes to Land Cruisers—play it straight, be transparent, embrace it and you will be rewarded.

Land Crusher --

Agreed, there are many ways to get the vehicle into the US; we followed all US legal requirements to do so -- to include very thorough US Customs inspections -- hence the delayed arrival. As LC America is based in Colorado -- not a title mill state to my knowledge -- it will be permanently titled in Colorado with a regular license plate. Not a Government Vehicle, not a Farm Vehicle, not anything other than what all of our customers out there will be able to register the vehicles as. In Colorado that is:

Regular License Plate
Light Truck Regular
(42-3-306(5))

As far as why we are doing this, as I have said before, it was never just about the money. Being able to do something that no one else has been able to do was always the challenge. If we sell 10 a year or 1000 per year, it wont matter -- I will be more than happy.

v/r,

John

And sorry, I did forget to address your sentiment that "This is THE community that matters when it comes to Land Cruisers—play it straight, be transparent, embrace it and you will be rewarded." That is the only reason I take as much time as I do trying to satisfy curious minds!

All --

If there is anyone local to the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, you can come touch and feel and smell -- I think that was the phrase posted earlier -- the FIRST and ONLY NEW Toyota 70-Series LC79 Land Cruiser in America at the "Night in the Country" event tomorrow afternoon / evening in New Tripoli, PA. Night in the Country sponsors a car cruise, and while we will not be cruising, the truck will be there for all to see. The address is 6493 Route 309, New Tripoli, PA 18066 and the event runs from 4pm to 10pm. It's not exactly Pebble Beach or the New Your Auto Show, but you have to start somewhere I guess, yes? If you attend the event, please post pictures here.

Have fun,

John

So a day went by already, please tell me that there is someone on Mud within an hours drive of this place and went there today?

It's here! Thanks for posting @InTheKnow. I'll say it again, YOU NEVER LIKED MY MOTHER! Hopefully the proper paperwork will be in order and sales can begin in earnest this fall. @John Papp is this one spoken for yet?

All --

If there is anyone local to the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, you can come touch and feel and smell -- I think that was the phrase posted earlier -- the FIRST and ONLY NEW Toyota 70-Series LC79 Land Cruiser in America at the "Night in the Country" event tomorrow afternoon / evening in New Tripoli, PA. Night in the Country sponsors a car cruise, and while we will not be cruising, the truck will be there for all to see. The address is 6493 Route 309, New Tripoli, PA 18066 and the event runs from 4pm to 10pm. It's not exactly Pebble Beach or the New Your Auto Show, but you have to start somewhere I guess, yes? If you attend the event, please post pictures here.

Have fun,

John

It isn't the first and only new 79 in America. Anyone that's been to Salt Lake knows this. Although, you'll be the first to have a road "legal" that can be driven more than 1km a year.

Now, where's the pictures of the customs forms?

My guess is that he is talking about the mining trucks but I didn't think the mining trucks had the diesel V8.

I've been to Salt Lake City recently and I didn't know this. Can you please elaborate?

LCHM has a GRJ76 and a GRJ79, with something like 5 kilometers on them. Both legally imported, but titled as museum vehicles, can't drive any more than 1 km a year or something like that.

I'm just pointing out that you are not the first or only person to have imported a 79 series. Although, they did it legally.

Look at the link jfrench posted.

very cool that you guys are making progress my favourite vehicle out there and even the right colour! Not that I can afford one but curious what the price point is going to be?

Doughboy --

I appreciate your engaging on this, but to claim that importing for museum use is anything like the process that we need to follow to import new 70 Series Land Cruiser for legal onward sale here in the US is a bit misleading. I suspect most anyone can probably import for farm or church or museum or off road use -- though I am not sure, as we have never looked into it. So 100 percent stand behind our claim -- but maybe I need to elaborate / expand just a bit to avoid confusion like yours. LC America was able to import legally, straightforwardly, without needing any loopholes, without skirting any regulations -- however you would like to phrase it -- and display the FIRST and ONLY NEW Toyota 70-Series LC79 Land Cruiser in America that meets all legal US requirements for legal onward sales, registration and titling with a regular state license plate (as described above) in the state of purchase.

v/r,

John.

As an aside, does anyone know if the SRS (airbags) on current model 70 series trucks meet NHTSA requirements?

Last edited:
It isn't the first and only new 79 in America. Anyone that's been to Salt Lake knows this. Although, you'll be the first to have a road "legal" that can be driven more than 1km a year.

Now, where's the pictures of the customs forms?

@John Papp, see @doughboy quote above. He wasn't making such a claim. As soon as appropriate EPA, DOT, etc compliance is demonstrated you'll sell 5+ of these immediately based on previous posts in this thread from myself, @beno and @SteveJackson.

Again, looking forward to meeting you and inspecting in the Springs in a few weeks

Well, I'm excited to see what comes of this and I'm glad someone has explored this further. Good luck and I look forward to seeing a product on the market. I too have my hesitations and have been waiting for 'proof of life'. Everything looks promising. Congrats on getting the first one through. That definitely would be a nice replacement to my 200 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom