Normal Interval for Packing Front Wheel Bearings? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start by saying that my 1997 FZJ80 is my fifth different Landcruiser, but my first 80 series. I’ve owned this particular cruiser since 2006 and have needed to have the front wheel bearings retightened and repacked at least five times now. The bearings have been loose at times, and at other times the outer seals have leaked. Is this normal for the 80 series? How often should I expect to need to go in there and do this?

Supposedly you should only need to repack and retighten the bearings every 30k miles in optimal conditons.

Now if you have worn spindles or bad races/bearings and leaking axle seals you may need to rebuild the front and recheck all parts for wear especially the spindle where the bearings ride on.

I had to repack/tighten my wheel bearings once or twice after rebuild and then have been tight for 6-7k miles now.

Wheel bearings, according to Toyota, are "life" items if properly serviced on the "severe" schedule.

Most previous owners neglect front axle work till absolutely necessary and then when they hear the price tag, they trade in their rigs.

Most bearings--especially rear bearings--are good for well north of 90K miles.

Official Toyota technical information posits wheel bearing repacks (just the hubs) at 30K; full front end rebuilds at 60K. Repeat as necessary.

Personally, and based on my usage, I go in every year. Replace bearings every other year. All consumables are replaced every year based on the type of wheeling and usage I engage in. That's me. And I stare at parts all day long, so that's my caveat.

My other caveat: I intend to keep my 80 chassis forever. The body will change, but the chassis will be a forever item for me.

Good luck.

Next time you tighten them try the tighten till you can tighten no more then back the inner nut off and torque to 14ft/lb. Thats what worked for me the second time I did it and theyre still tight 7 months later.

D

Beno thanks for the info. My truck has almost 170,000 miles on it now. I drive it a lot, as I’ve been averaging over 20,000 a year since I’ve had it. So, maybe these repacks and tightening reoccurrences are perfectly normal for this type of wheel and axle. I think I’m going to have the bearings replaced soon because I think that will be the safer bet, and I also plan to keep driving this truck for at least a couple of more years. It’s got regular maintenance requirements, but it’s still a great built and designed vehicle.

nelwen89: What Beno said. My front wheel bearings had over 200,000 miles on them when I did the front axle service which had been neglected for a long time. They probably could have been reused except maybe for one but I replaced them all while everything was apart. The trunnion bearings were toasted however as some of the rollers were broken and chipped and the races showed brinelling. Apparently these are often forgotten by some shops.

Official Toyota technical information posits ... full front end rebuilds at 60K. Repeat as necessary.

Can you post this document? I have heard this, but have never seen a "full front end rebuild" mentioned in the maintenance schedules that I have seen? The closest is something about checking the knuckles at 20K for severe service, my guess is it is referring to checking/filling the grease?

Tools
I’m not sure what the specific maintenance intervals on these front wheel bearings are supposed to be either. That was part of the reason I posted the question to begin with. I didn’t see an answer in the owner’s manual either. Though, I’m convinced that I should have had my bearings replaced this time. With the amount of miles I rack up on this truck annually (more or less my everything vehicle), and lot of that is stop and go traffic in the DC metro area the bearings are probably worn more than the average set would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom