Noob Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any more info on this cost to own? Just as a pavement princess second vehicle? How *much* of a money pit are we talking?
Well I have spent $8k on armor and roof rack so that’s where a lot of my $$ went

It’s like a boat. Bring out another thousand.

Alternator-1k
Timing belt/ 90k $1200
New brake pads / rotors -1300
I had leaky valve cover gaskets and had them replace spark plugs too $1500

There’s been other things too

But this has been over the course of 10 years /100k miles

I keep my stuff maintained to a T. For a non daily you can probably love with a leaky gasket, let the timing belt go a bit longer etc

Well I have spent $8k on armor and roof rack so that’s where a lot of my $$ went

It’s like a boat. Bring out another thousand.

Alternator-1k
Timing belt/ 90k $1200
New brake pads / rotors -1300
I had leaky valve cover gaskets and had them replace spark plugs too $1500

There’s been other things too

But this has been over the course of 10 years /100k miles

I keep my stuff maintained to a T. For a non daily you can probably love with a leaky gasket, let the timing belt go a bit longer etc
None of that seems too too horrible. Can't be any worse than cost of ownership of any other vehicle, right? It's not like the 4runner would be any cheaper to repair or any less likely to have problems? As you can tell, I'm really trying to convince myself to keep the cruiser.

None of that seems too too horrible. Can't be any worse than cost of ownership of any other vehicle, right? It's not like the 4runner would be any cheaper to repair or any less likely to have problems? As you can tell, I'm really trying to convince myself to keep the cruiser.
Keep the cruiser. Fix as needed…. Do on your own time. None of my issues left me stranded except the alternator.

I might be intersted in your runner. PM me the details please!

That’s a good price you got it for. I’ve owned a 3rd Gen & 5th Gen 4Runner and can tell you that they do not come close to the driving pleasure an LC100 offers. If you’re not a DIYer, find a good Indy mechanic or if you’re lucky a local mudder can knock all the maintenance items for a very reasonable price.

Brake master $1k + lab
Steering rack $500 + lab
… are other bigger ticket items that are probably coming your way in the next 100k. If you don’t have some ready disposable income, or the inclination to spin a spanner, then rather listen to that inner voice that’s questioning this purchase and get rid of her.

That’s a good price you got it for. I’ve owned a 3rd Gen & 5th Gen 4Runner and can tell you that they do not come close to the driving pleasure an LC100 offers. If you’re not a DIYer, find a good Indy mechanic or if you’re lucky a local mudder can knock all the maintenance items for a very reasonable price.
Calling all Central Florida mudders/mechanics!

I really can't do much myself, it'd have to be pretty much all shop labor
In this case DO NOT keep the land cruiser. These things are 20 years old and will require constant maintenance to keep them in good shape. If you are paying shop labor and are concerned about cost, you will be broke before you know it. If you happened to be handy and could DIY the work, I would highly recommend the land cruiser.

The only reason why you think you aren’t mechanically inclined is because you haven’t really tried to learn it yet. If you want to keep this thing and need to do it on a budget then I suggest you buy some basic tools and start with small, simple jobs. It’s just nuts and bolts, not rocket surgery.

If your 4runner is dialed in and you’re even nervous about spending even half of 5k, flip that cruiser asap. You’ll do a basic baseline (timing belt and water pump kit, tires, fluids)…and then something else will need to be replaced. I love my 100 but I miss how low budget my 1999 4runner limited was. Especially just for hitting pavement

The only reason why you think you aren’t mechanically inclined is because you haven’t really tried to learn it yet. If you want to keep this thing and need to do it on a budget then I suggest you buy some basic tools and start with small, simple jobs. It’s just nuts and bolts, not rocket surgery.
This is great advice and I reckon you have a great deal and keep it stock to save money. Yes have the timing belt/ new tires fitted at a shop and they might as well do a full lube service whilst they are at it but the simpler things can be fixed with a good toolbox and more importantly, there is no rush to fix stuff that ain't broke. If you can change a tire you are halfway there!

What kind of DIY work are we talking? As someone else said, I can change a tire, just not a timing belt - so what's an example of some of the in between stuff?

What kind of DIY work are we talking? As someone else said, I can change a tire, just not a timing belt - so what's an example of some of the in between stuff?

Fluid changes, driveshaft lube, sway bar links, fuel filter, coils and plugs, etc. etc. You may not be ready for a timing belt yet but there's no reason why you can't work your way to it if you want. There's how to's for every single task on this forum or on YouTube. If you can follow directions and are physically able you can spin a wrench.

Fluid changes, driveshaft lube, sway bar links, fuel filter, coils and plugs, etc. etc. You may not be ready for a timing belt yet but there's no reason why you can't work your way to it if you want. There's how to's for every single task on this forum or on YouTube. If you can follow directions and are physically able you can spin a wrench.
Hmm, all of that seems reasonable enough. Still trying to wrap my head around this thing, but I think it's obvious which way I'm leaning. Thanks for the info.

Becoming familiar with the platform and DIY'ing what you can is half the fun in owning one of these.

That said, don't go overboard on maintenance - as has been said before, when you sell, you won't really get out what you put in.

Come up with a priority list of what NEEDS to be done. If you can't come up with this list yourself, do more research (read this forum), and/or pay a mechanic $100 - $200 to fully inspect it and give you a list. Tackle a couple items from the top of the list - (DIY if you can). Then, just drive it, for a while (months). Then, re-evaluate how you feel about the vehicle, go back to the list, and take it from there.

I can give you a list of quite a few things I should do to my 100. None of them cause me any hesitation in driving it until I'm able to get to those items.

Becoming familiar with the platform and DIY'ing what you can is half the fun in owning one of these.

That said, don't go overboard on maintenance - as has been said before, when you sell, you won't really get out what you put in.

Come up with a priority list of what NEEDS to be done. If you can't come up with this list yourself, do more research (read this forum), and/or pay a mechanic $100 - $200 to fully inspect it and give you a list. Tackle a couple items from the top of the list - (DIY if you can). Then, just drive it, for a while (months). Then, re-evaluate how you feel about the vehicle, go back to the list, and take it from there.

I can give you a list of quite a few things I should do to my 100. None of them cause me any hesitation in driving it until I'm able to get to those items.
At the moment nothing *really* needs to be done... except the timing belt is pushing it's limits. It doesn't need seat covers or a new head unit to drive, I just figured I'd like to get most of everything I'd want done in one foul swoop so I'm not having to put up with anything else for a while.

I've never been much of a DIY'er... but I do like to browse forums... so maybe that'll change.

A few things have already been mentioned above.

Generally all of it depends on previous maintainance, good or bad luck, mileage, blabla.
Brakes, shocks, springs,…: valid for any car so no difference.

For the older car these things wouldn‘t surprise me and seem to be common for older LCs
Wheel bearings
CV Axle
Alternator
Battery
Fuses/ relays
Sunroof (leaks, not opening,…)
Spark plugs (regular swap needed; every 50k miles?)

But hey: it‘s not a new car. Very similar things can (will?) happen to the 4R I guess…

At the moment nothing *really* needs to be done... except the timing belt is pushing it's limits. It doesn't need seat covers or a new head unit to drive, I just figured I'd like to get most of everything I'd want done in one foul swoop so I'm not having to put up with anything else for a while.

I've never been much of a DIY'er... but I do like to browse forums... so maybe that'll change.

Sounds like you did well then. One owner trucks are pretty difficult to find and that green color is icing on the cake.

Enjoy it, learn about it, work on it, and embrace it as a new hobby. This is a marathon not a sprint.

But hey: it‘s not a new car. Very similar things can (will?) happen to the 4R I guess…
My thoughts exactly. It wouldn't be any cheaper or less frequent on the T4R to replace any of the common issues from a 20+ year old vehicle, correct? It's not like the cruiser is overflowing with excess features that'll need repair... except for the head unit and headrest screens...

Guess so ;) and if the sunroof or seat heating quits… really needs to be repaired right now? ;)

200k 4R vs 200k LC, 2001 vs 2002,… don‘t think it makes a big difference having the „essentials“

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom