LC Noob. Excited to start down this trail! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody!
I just bought a 2003 LC with approx 250k on the odo. This is my first LC and I'm a noob at serious off road stuff despite owning all 4wd/AWD vehicles and living in an area with abundant opportunities for offroad exploration!
IMG_20231117_155525_850.jpg

The Good: The cruiser is really clean and good to great condition for a 20 year old vehicle. Frame and body very clean with (what I think) little rust and very clean engine compartment. Lots of service records via Carfax and the cruiser was a California truck until it migrated to Inland Northwest (my AO) about 5-6 years ago... The truck is bone stock as far as I can tell and rides butter smooth at highway speed. Engine feels solid and sounds good. HVAC blows super hot and cold. Timing belt and water pump changed at 190k per CarFax record.

The Bad (in no particular order):
-Radio antenna actuator sticks at 1/4 mast and does not extend, but retracts fully at power off.
-OEM front seats replaced w/ unknown and seat heaters do not function.
-Steering wheel slight "plasticy" grinding sound while turning.
-Steering wheel cover very worn out.
-Steering wheel tilt actuator intermittent.
-NAV/GPS map is wonky and isn't properly calibrated.
IMG_20231117_154634_376.jpg

The Ugly:
Yesterday, the CEL, "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights illuminated alltogether on second drive after taking possession from the Honda dealer that I bought it from. At first I was worried that this was the dreaded imminent brake failure so I returned home ASAP, there was no ABS light or alarm, so hopefully that's not something that's in store for the future. Truck seemed to function normally on the 2-3 mile return trip home. I'll be searching the site for info on possible cause. According to CarFax, the truck was serviced multiple times at a local shop, so I might drop by there to see if they might be willing to talk about some of the vehicle history. Any thoughts, suggestions, or referrals to links is greatly appreciated!
IMG_20231118_163106_550.jpg

First things first is to sort out the "VSC" issue and baseline the truck. Then, my plan is to run this truck as an alternate daily driver and forest roads cruiser. Not much of a camper these days (my kids are grown), but there are miles and miles of forest roads to explore in North Idaho and I'm excited to get out to some cool places! Not really looking to do serious wheeling or rock crawling, but would like to have some capability, so eventually looking to mod with lift, wheels/tires, sliders, bumper(s), etc.

Looking forward to joining this community and maybe someday contributing with some adventure stories!

-Scott

Welcome!

My 99 has fewer options so I won't be much help with your bad list but hopefully it'll sort out cheap and quick!

You're in the right place :beer:
Thanks, Trapper! I'm definitely going into this truck with an ongoing "project" mindset so I'm not too wrapped around the axle on the minor things on the "bad" list. I already have seen a great thread on the tilt steering right here on the front page!
DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair

This forum is packed full of so much info, I'm just about overwhelmed! Great to be here! 🍻

Congrats on your purchase! In my experience that combination can be something pretty minor think misfire or evap stuff. I would suggest getting over box store and have them check the codes (betting there will be a couple) and then we can help more. As an aside, think about getting a code reader such as Carista or if you are more into it get a techstream set up on a laptop.
Finally, if those service records are from Toyota dealers. It might serve you well to go to Toyota.com or a dealer and pull the service history. It will help get an idea of anything minor that might be needed.

-Radio antenna actuator sticks at 1/4 mast and does not extend, but retracts fully at power off.

This is normal after a battery removal or disconnect. Did you try the antenna switch on the dashboard (with the ignition on) to fully extend the antenna? This feature lets you set your preferred height for antenna extension.

Hey everybody!
I just bought a 2003 LC with approx 250k on the odo. This is my first LC and I'm a noob at serious off road stuff despite owning all 4wd/AWD vehicles and living in an area with abundant opportunities for offroad exploration!
View attachment 3485895
The Good: The cruiser is really clean and good to great condition for a 20 year old vehicle. Frame and body very clean with (what I think) little rust and very clean engine compartment. Lots of service records via Carfax and the cruiser was a California truck until it migrated to Inland Northwest (my AO) about 5-6 years ago... The truck is bone stock as far as I can tell and rides butter smooth at highway speed. Engine feels solid and sounds good. HVAC blows super hot and cold. Timing belt and water pump changed at 190k per CarFax record.

The Bad (in no particular order):
-OEM front seats replaced w/ unknown and seat heaters do not function.
-Steering wheel slight "plasticy" grinding sound while turning.
-Steering wheel cover very worn out.
-Steering wheel tilt actuator intermittent.
-NAV/GPS map is wonky and isn't properly calibrated.
View attachment 3485899

The Ugly:
Yesterday, the CEL, "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights illuminated alltogether on second drive after taking possession from the Honda dealer that I bought it from. At first I was worried that this was the dreaded imminent brake failure so I returned home ASAP, there was no ABS light or alarm, so hopefully that's not something that's in store for the future. Truck seemed to function normally on the 2-3 mile return trip home. I'll be searching the site for info on possible cause. According to CarFax, the truck was serviced multiple times at a local shop, so I might drop by there to see if they might be willing to talk about some of the vehicle history. Any thoughts, suggestions, or referrals to links is greatly appreciated!
View attachment 3485903

First things first is to sort out the "VSC" issue and baseline the truck. Then, my plan is to run this truck as an alternate daily driver and forest roads cruiser. Not much of a camper these days (my kids are grown), but there are miles and miles of forest roads to explore in North Idaho and I'm excited to get out to some cool places! Not really looking to do serious wheeling or rock crawling, but would like to have some capability, so eventually looking to mod with lift, wheels/tires, sliders, bumper(s), etc.

Looking forward to joining this community and maybe someday contributing with some adventure stories!

-Scott
As someone else mentioned getting an OBD II scanner is a good idea to check your codes. I had the same lights come on recently, the truck runs smoothly and I wouldn't know anything was amiss but for the lights. The code I got was P0333 (knock sensor 2 - high bank). The lights have been coming on and off for the past few hundred km - they've been off now for the past 130 km or so. Others with this issue have replaced the gas cap - I did as well but not sure if that's what it was, also checked my fuses. Fingers crossed and hope that the lights stay off. I don't plan on doing anything unless there's indication of a performance issue with the engine. I've read posts where others had this issue and it just disappeared on its own.

I'd say that your "bad" list isn't so bad and more of a slight minor inconvenience. It looks like a clean truck and if the price was right and the chassis is clean I'd say you're well ahead of the curve.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys! I still need to get an OBD scanner, but I took it to the local O'Reilly and it threw P0430 code which looks like catalytic/O2 sensor... the guy reset the code, I replaced the fuel cap and haven't driven enough to see if it returns. Truck seems to be running good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, the "bad" list really isn't all that bad and I'm hopeful that this truck will be a gem with some work and patience.

Had a hard left pull (felt like the truck was driving itself without any input from the steering wheel!) while accelerating downhill on a left bearing on-ramp. Another member suggested the steering rack bushings probably need changing. I love this place! You guys are great!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom