Non-OEM Rear Frame being welded in, would it affect value THAT much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was recently rear-ended by a jeep and my frame is pretty messed up. (see pics below) Honestly, I'd like to just get some strong and thick metal welded in, without a bunch of holes in it like the OEM frame. I'm also gonna go with a custom rear bumper after this as well. Anyways my question is just how much does it matter if the frame isn't OEM? I know it's a bad thing when rust is the cause and pieces have been cut out and welded back in, but if it's a good weld job that looks OEM, clean, etc etc, would it affect the value of my troopy? If so I'll just buy the rear frame cross member off of partsouq or something but I just wasn't TOO impressed with the strength of my frame in this crash, and I'm assuming all the holes in it didn't help with the structural rigidity. Anyone's opinions or info is appreciated, Thanks!

IMG_7303.jpg
IMG_7278.jpg
IMG_7291.jpg

How bad was the Heep? 😊
Honestly nowhere near as bad as I thought it would have been. I'm amazed that the airbags didn't go off since he hit me going 25-30 mph, maybe when it's in 4wd the airbags are a bit more relaxed? The passenger side light was bent, same with that fender being bent upward, front bumpers plastic was cracked, and the grille was a bit bent and scratched with my paint.

IMG_7246.jpg
IMG_7240.jpg

I just wasn't TOO impressed with the strength of my frame in this crash, and I'm assuming all the holes in it didn't help with the structural rigidity.
I don't know for the value but the non-rigidity / flex of the rear cross member may be like that for a reason. If you strengthen it, maybe be next time it's your main frame that may bent.

It's like half shaft that are the first thing to break in a transmission, if you beef them up you will break something bigger and harder to change.

I have no precise knowledge of this but just a though about it.

I don't know for the value but the non-rigidity / flex of the rear cross member may be like that for a reason. If you strengthen it, maybe be next time it's your main frame that may bent.

It's like half shaft that are the first thing to break in a transmission, if you beef them up you will break something bigger and harder to change.

I have no precise knowledge of this but just a though about it.
woah... didn't even take that into account. Actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your input!!

First question is this an insurance claim or not?
If yes, the repair may be cost prohibitive and insurance co could total the old truck out plus you get a carfax curse and salvage title.
seriously old cars and sourcing the vintage parts can be cumbersome. As a interchange expert, we know that a 2006 rear frame member works and is still supplied by Toyota but a non import part. The 1989 frame member -90K00 could be discontinued.

I would rebuild off the insurance books with improved fabrication and incorporate a solid bumper.

parts are available without any problem , via usual web stores .
I am not an expert , but if you haven't bent the main frame , you are talking just 3 frame parts , can't cost that much .
the bumper is a different story ,many parts and the sum will be costy .

Personally I don't think they are going to total it because you have this wonderful resource Bring a Trailer that shows crazy prices, along with classifieds all over showing crazy troopy prices right now. If it's insurance your vehicle has to be repaired/valued to replacement cost. Troopy's are super valuable so I wouldn't worry about a total from insurance. You will have to fight a little because they will say late 80's Toyota and try to value it.

As for value, thats really only dependent on if you want to sell it.

I'd get the OEM crossbar, they are cheap enough and slap one in. I'm not surprised it caved in. Jeep bumper hit in the middle section of that crossmember/bumper and easily folded it. There's 25+ years of safety/crumple zone advancement between that Jeep and the Troopy. That said, a big honkin Kaymar or 4x4 Labs bumper would have had a completely different outcome.

Make sure the frame is good, fix the crossmember, get them to replace doors and get a nice new bumper out of the deal.

first, I don't know the victim truck. Assume BJ75.
51209-60100 is the rear crossmember 1984-1989 for troopie.
Claims adjuster needs to find US delivered parts not Amayama etc.
No stock, discontinued etc. 51209-60101 the 1990 update is still not in US system.

none were on a US truck. Remember, Toyota does not like us.

Frames on a 7* series are not meant to be tank like , they are very flexible. Rigidty is the weak point. Another possibility is that it has been damaged and repaired in that area before. Ive personally witnessed the aftermath of 5-6 troopies in front and rear enders and usually, they really mangle the other vehicle.
But it looks like yours copped it in a weak spot from the jeeps hard spot

Hello,

70 Series frames are indeed flexible. It is the reason why you can open the doors when the truck is flexing its drive train off road.

I guess your rear cross member was repaired some time in the past. You may want to straighten it but the next time, G-d forbid, the damage may be worse.

This part is available new from Toyota.

The proper part will keep the frame as flexible as the designers intended. It helps a lot both on- and off-road. Ask me how I know.

A non-OEM member can (and will) mess the frame's behavior under load.

It is better to keep the truck original. Properly repaired 70 Series hold their value, and provide years of reliable service.

I would negotiate the insurance-covered repair using the OEM cross member. Then I would fit either the OEM bumper or an aftermarket one.

An OEM frame with a good bumper will protect you from future incoming Jeeps.

Juan

First question is this an insurance claim or not?
Nope, he's a friend of a friend or like an associate if that makes any sense, decided for the both of us that it would just be better for him to pay out of pocket instead of getting insurance involved.
parts are available without any problem , via usual web stores .
I am not an expert , but if you haven't bent the main frame , you are talking just 3 frame parts , can't cost that much .
the bumper is a different story ,many parts and the sum will be costy .
From what I can tell the actual frame isn't bent, still gonna put it on a frame jog just to make sure though. The bumper will probably just be custom made out of some crude steel.
An auto body shop with a frame machine can probably straighten that out no probs.

Cheers
The frame is split and cracked apart in a couple of areas, plus I don't really like the idea of bent metal being bent back, just will make it even weaker I would believe. Thanks for the advice though!
IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

Personally I don't think they are going to total it because you have this wonderful resource Bring a Trailer that shows crazy prices, along with classifieds all over showing crazy troopy prices right now. If it's insurance your vehicle has to be repaired/valued to replacement cost. Troopy's are super valuable so I wouldn't worry about a total from insurance. You will have to fight a little because they will say late 80's Toyota and try to value it.

As for value, thats really only dependent on if you want to sell it.

I'd get the OEM crossbar, they are cheap enough and slap one in. I'm not surprised it caved in. Jeep bumper hit in the middle section of that crossmember/bumper and easily folded it. There's 25+ years of safety/crumple zone advancement between that Jeep and the Troopy. That said, a big honkin Kaymar or 4x4 Labs bumper would have had a completely different outcome.

Make sure the frame is good, fix the crossmember, get them to replace doors and get a nice new bumper out of the deal.
Yes exactly what I was thinking if we went down the insurance route, thank god troopys are selling for +40k. Definitely will get an OEM cross-member after reading what everyone else has said.
first, I don't know the victim truck. Assume BJ75.
51209-60100 is the rear crossmember 1984-1989 for troopie.
Claims adjuster needs to find US delivered parts not Amayama etc.
No stock, discontinued etc. 51209-60101 the 1990 update is still not in US system.

none were on a US truck. Remember, Toyota does not like us.
Yes, 1987 BJ75. And yeaaaa sadly the US never gets any of the cool cars Toyota makes... or just the worse models of them. Thank you so much for the part numbers!
Frames on a 7* series are not meant to be tank like , they are very flexible. Rigidty is the weak point. Another possibility is that it has been damaged and repaired in that area before. Ive personally witnessed the aftermath of 5-6 troopies in front and rear enders and usually, they really mangle the other vehicle.
But it looks like yours copped it in a weak spot from the jeeps hard spot
Noted. After reading everyone's comments its clear the OEM frame was kinda meant to crumple in this kind of crash to prevent more damage. Definitely getting and OEM cross member.
Hello,

70 Series frames are indeed flexible. It is the reason why you can open the doors when the truck is flexing its drive train off road.

I guess your rear cross member was repaired some time in the past. You may want to straighten it but the next time, G-d forbid, the damage may be worse.

This part is available new from Toyota.

The proper part will keep the frame as flexible as the designers intended. It helps a lot both on- and off-road. Ask me how I know.

A non-OEM member can (and will) mess the frame's behavior under load.

It is better to keep the truck original. Properly repaired 70 Series hold their value, and provide years of reliable service.

I would negotiate the insurance-covered repair using the OEM cross member. Then I would fit either the OEM bumper or an aftermarket one.

An OEM frame with a good bumper will protect you from future incoming Jeeps.

Juan
👍 Appreciate all the info. Definitely gonna get some beefy rear bumper for the next jeep that rear-ends me.
Some flex is good, too much flex can crack the body.
If this happened last year, I would have had a chopped piece of my old Troopy frame for you.
I'd snag the OEM part, have the frame checked on a jig, and have the new one welded in. Call it good.
Aw, thank you for the offer! Shipping would probably be much sooner as well than getting it from the middle east haha.

It looks like rust has weakened the frame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom