Noisy trans 72 fj40 3speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check all the fluid levels. Tires about the same wear and all the same size. Grease all the u-joints. Turn out the hubs and put it in 2H - drive listen. Kick it neutral, turn off the engine and let it coast. Try Low range.

My 72 didn't have hubs for the first 60,000, the guy I got it from put them on. Turning out the hubs, free the wheel from the drive shaft

Your goal is to isolate as much of the system, so you will know where to look - when the noise appears when you engage some part, that a good place to start looking.

I have run in 4H for 300 miles at a time at like 50MPH

My 72 didn't have hubs for the first 60,000, the guy I got it from put them on. Turning out the hubs, free the wheel from the drive shaft

Your goal is to isolate as much of the system, so you will know where to look - when the noise appears when you engage some part, that a good place to start looking.

I have run in 4H for 300 miles at a time at like 50MPH
Ah! Got it now, thanks.
The growling noise came with the hubs free…
In 4H. But in 2H, just a pleasant wine.

4h would point more towards the T-case not the trans

I try and not use 4H or 4L without having the hubs turned in.
1692329923625.png

I try and not use 4H or 4L without having the hubs turned in.
Thanks

I have taught people to back up in long or tricky places by shifting into low range, for the slow gears - I seldom get out and turn in the hubs for that.

Of course the urning the hubs in is essential for 4 wheel drive.
However, as the truck is new to me, I thought isolating the system in a sequential order would be prudent.
I do agree the issue is in the transfer case.
Is it common or possible to remove it without the tranny?

have you driven other 40’s to compare? They aren’t exactly the most quiet drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom