Noisy 2F fuel pump...but its new! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update: More noise with old pump - Noisy 2F fuel pump...but its new!

Just put in a brand new Kyosan fuel pump and it chatters and knocks like crazy. Do these things needs to break in at all or is mine just junk right out of the box? Old one was a Kyosan as well and barely made any noise at all. Just decided to replace since I do not know how old the old one was. Side by side they match perfectly and I did include the spacer when installing.

I do have a MAF rebuilt 2F with the RV cam...could the lobe that actuates the pump be out of whack or something? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Kyosan FP for FJ60

My experience was when i changed my old kyosan fuel pump to a new one. It worked for 2 weeks then it suddenly stop. The spacer was installed. I removed and inspected the pump, it's collapsed, it was not pumping. I had to install the old fuel pump back. The store i bought the new kyosan fuel pump replaced it with a new one. Now i have a spare.

Make sure to bring with you your old fuel pump, just in case the new breaks down. :)

Yeah, I installed the spacer just like on the old one. It was installed in the exact same way. I wonder if these Kyosan pumps are just bad quality? Strange thing is the old one is also Kyosan and looks to be fairly old...like 4+ years old maybe.

I guess I'll get an OEM...hope Kyosan doesn't make those!

Kyosan is just fine if not actually OEM. unless you got a bum unit which is possible as mentioned.

One thing to check: I have heard of the rocker on the fuel pump being installed where it rides wrong on the cam...(how is your fuel delivery?) when you pull the pump, look on the pump rocker and see if its damaged or hasn't developed a tell of a small shiny spot on the outside of the rocker where the lobe contacts

FWIW: I replaced mine about a year ago with Kyosan and its been just fine ~3,000mi.

FWIW, I had a junk one out of the box - took it back and got a new one. Wasn't noise, it squirted oil from the weep hole...

Spike...sorry yours was junk. I am having a strange issue now. I put the old one back and now it makes the same noise that the new one did. I'm not losing my mind...I know they didn't make that racket before. Truck runs fine otherwise. This is so weird. Did I install it incorrectly even though I used the spacer?

Is it kicked off at an angle ? Did you get it on straight ?

If you pump it outside the vehicle by hand does it make the same noise ?

There's really only one way the pump can go on, besides the with or without a spacer. The mechanical pumps are a little noisy, maybe you just didn't notice it before?

There are some differences, too, within the FJ60 range. Note Jim's post at the end of this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/482883-fuel-pump-fyi.html

First thing I did was actuate the pump by hand and it seemed to go through the range of motion with no dragging other than normal. It shot gas a long ways until it was dry. Same for both the new and used pump. I got it on as straight as it can go and there seems to be very little room for it to be mounted crooked anyhow. Even the lines for the fuel hoses were the same length and angle. One thing to note, the wear marks were in the same place on both old and new pumps and were of similar length on the pump arm.

I had both pumps side by side and looked at all angles. Every line and angle looks to be the same. BUT, I did notice there was a number that was different on the sides of the pumps. The old one had a 7-1 and the new one had 8-1. I assume these are rev numbers??

I know the mech pumps make a little noise...kinda of a wumpa wumpa noise. Now it makes that noise PLUS the noticeable clackety clack that changes with RPMs.

Dunno. Mine's a little noisy with the clacking, too, but it just sounds normal to me. Less than 5K miles on the pump.

:meh:

It's getting worse...

Ok, this thing is killing me. It is REALLY noisy now. Old pump is back on, bolts torqued to spec. The noise is still there and now even worse, especially when the motor is warm. I am starting top suspect it is NOT the fuel pump, but something else more serious. It is coming from the front of the motor and sounds internal. About 4 weeks ago I had my valves adjusted by a local cruiser "guru" and, honestly, I am starting to question his work quality. My truck had to go back to him multiple times for mis-routed vacuum nonsense and botched timing. That all got fixed, but now I wonder if he did the valves correctly and tightened everything back up.

The noise sounds like a rod knock when the motor is good and hot. Is something working its way loose?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom