Noise in front end . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 1991 land cruiser earlier this year had a grinding noise in front end removed drive flanges to discover passenger side was stripped replaced Birfield and drive flanges get in vehicle dissengage cdl still have grinding sound have a friend hold the brake and I get under it he starts it and disengages cdl and front drive shaft goes to turning I’m guessing broken spider gears maybe worse

Bought a 1991 land cruiser earlier this year had a grinding noise in front end removed drive flanges to discover passenger side was stripped replaced Birfield and drive flanges get in vehicle dissengage cdl still have grinding sound have a friend hold the brake and I get under it he starts it and disengages cdl and front drive shaft goes to turning I’m guessing broken spider gears maybe worse
Most likely R&P.

These are known to be weak when doing things in reverse and shelling the R&P. One guy was pulling shrubberies in reverse and broke the R&P, just to give an indication.

I drive this thing almost daily with cdl locked no noise at all
Have you done a drain and refill of the differential?

If that's clear, then you may have an exploded Birf. If it's crunchy when turning, then it would point to a Birf.

There have been a few examples of a PO having removed the birf entirely, then putting it back together and pulling the CDL fuse so it's always engaged and the new owner had no idea until they got stuck.

If that's clear, then you may have an exploded Birf. If it's crunchy when turning, then it would point to a Birf.

There have been a few examples of a PO having removed the birf entirely, then putting it back together and pulling the CDL fuse so it's always engaged and the new owner had no idea until they got stuck.
This weekend hopefully have time I’m going to pull axles and third member

I have both good Birfields and drive flanges removed drain plug on front 3rd member and it had goop running out not dope not grease just a slow blob slowly oozing out so my next question with cdl disengaged the front drive shaft turns no power to rear wheels is that normal I have front end off the ground and on jack stands with cdl disengaged rear wheels do not move vehicle forward or reverse but front drive shaft yoke from transfer case is turning so do these things run front wheel drive basically with cdl disengaged?

First, why would you even try placing the vehicle in gear with only the front on jackstanks? That is the kind of thing that kills people.

In the Fulltime 4WD system used in your 91 100% of the torque will be directed to the axle/wheel of least resistance, front or rear. The CDL must be locked to change that so there is a 50/50 distribution of torque. Remove a driveshaft, break an axle, ring and pinion, or a birfield, remove or strip a drive flange are all going to give a similar result.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom