No, You Can't Swap Seat Bottoms, and Other Butt Stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many others, the left side of my driver's seat bottom is badly collapsed. So much so that it quite literally made my butt hurt from driving. I've been dragging my feet on doing a seat swap (probably Celica seats to gain some headroom), largely because I'll have to actually drive to pick them up. The final straw was when my lower back started hurting when walking the dogs.

I thought it might be possible to swap the seat bottoms. Most passenger seats I see are comparatively pristine. Short version: nope, you can't.

It sure looks tempting, though. There are four bolts holding the sliders on:

20180204205717-0c8d79a0-me.jpg

20180204205724-c598fe66-me.jpg

You have to keep the sliders in their original positions, since they're asymmetric. The swapped seat bottoms seem to bolt right up at first, until you realize that there are only three threaded holes under the seat bottom. The fourth slider bolt actually attaches to the side bracket, which bolts into the side of the seat bottom using a partially concealed bolt. Oops.

20180204205635-5a5986df-me.jpg

If you wanted to put in the effort, you could probably make something work. Fabricate a bracket extension. But I wouldn't vouch for its safety. Besides, it turns out that the sides of the seats are shaped differently. Get the seat into place and the seat bottom interferes with the center console. In retrospect, this is painfully obvious from the first picture. Look at how far out the metal "hoop" goes on one side, compared to how the side of the seat cuts in closely on the other side.

Well, whatever. I swapped the seat bottoms back again. At least I had a chance to blow out 20 years of accumulated dust and crap. But the seat is still godawful uncomfortable, so I made a stab at improving it. Worst case it's still less uncomfortable than the collapsed foam.

A few minutes with some pliers, taking out maybe five hog rings, and I could pull the seat cover back. It was compressed and torn. I used a flap disc to grind out the worst of it:

i.php

I have no idea what made this hole:

20180204195833-7de106cf-me.jpg

The only foam I could find is the carpet underlayment I've been using to insulate the floors. I cut out several shaped strips, ground off the water resistant backing, and started laminating the layers on using Super 90 spray adhesive. I think it ended up being three layers on the top, a chunk filling in that missing section, plus one along the side. I feathered the edges of each layer, particularly on the inner side.

Rounding it all off with the flap disc and it was hugely improved:

20180204195843-ac2a909d-me.jpg

It's definitely not perfect, but wow is it ever an improvement. I can drive without a weird lean, and my back (and butt) feel better already:

20180204195816-993caa53-me.jpg

I'm still going to do a seat swap, but this is a big improvement for about 1.5 hours of work.

The grey factory fabric is good looking and astonishingly durable. I like the factory seats so I went ahead and put new oem foam on my frames. They are like new again.

The grey factory fabric is good looking and astonishingly durable. I like the factory seats so I went ahead and put new oem foam on my frames. They are like new again.

I was thinking about doing the same, but I have exactly one finger width of room between my head and the roof. Well, actually, the outer edge of the sunroof opening. So far, Celica seats have the lowest seat-bottom height I've found. But it is amazing how well the original fabric holds up!

No clue if they fit an 80, but Prelude seats were all the rage in my mini-truck days.

They rode 4-5" off the floorpan, but I do recall they bolted to a flat floor.
Not sure what the tin crossmember serves under front of our seats, and you're talking full rear heaterbox removal too.

But, if you're banging your head on the headliner it may seem a reasonable swap.

Does anybody know if the mechanical seat bottoms will swap with the power seat bottoms?

Does anybody know if the mechanical seat bottoms will swap with the power seat bottoms?

Common solution is just to source some complete manual units.

I want to say -if it's cloth, it's the lower / manual seatbase- at least from the factory I believe that to be true.

I doubt you can interchange bases because the seatback is motor driven.

Cool I have a cloth seat I want to give to my upholstery guy. hoping I can stick a ragged out leather one on it while it’s at the shop

There are some leather manual seats floating around, my 95 has them. According to Beno and Cdan those were reupholstered at the dealer with a leather kit as Toyota never made a manual leather seat for the 80.

Sure wish I had the cloth covers still...:frown:

Here's how the side plates attach to the driver's seat:

20180205122356-b6f43da9-me.jpg

20180205122347-a0fd17f2-me.jpg

You can just see the 'hidden' bolt that goes through the side of the seat, connecting the rail to the seat.

So, if the holes on your leather seat bottom look similar, then it's worth a try. I've read that the leather seats sit higher, but I don't know if that means there would be interference with the seat back.

I see your problem cloth seats suck, I have never sat in a 80 with comfortable cloth seats :worms:

A set of manual leather seats in any condition would be a very welcome addition to my cruiser...

I see your problem cloth seats suck, I have never sat in a 80 with comfortable cloth seats :worms:

Really? The leather is soooo cold up heah in the wintah that {insert dirty joke involving things shrinking here}. I wish I could afford to get mine redone in tan velour like the Sequoias. Well, maybe someday...

I’d get rid of the stupid moonroof before I’d get rid of those seats...

Really? The leather is soooo cold up heah in the wintah that {insert dirty joke involving things shrinking here}. I wish I could afford to get mine redone in tan velour like the Sequoias. Well, maybe someday...

Uhhhh how about get it heated, $40 for the pads, BTW it's not sunny SoCal here either :flipoff2:

Nope. If that leather ever comes off it's staying off.

I hate leather seats. YMMV.

Nope. If that leather ever comes off it's staying off.

I hate leather seats. YMMV.

The only thing worse than leather is vinyl. I have vivid memories of peeling my though off the vinyl bench seat in a family car as a kid.

One of the nicer materials for interiors these days is Alcantara, which is basically the cooler, new name for Ultrasuede. I always find that rather humorous.

The only thing worse than leather is vinyl. I have vivid memories of peeling my though off the vinyl bench seat in a family car as a kid.

Yup.

Still remember the blistered second degree burns on the backs of my thighs from sitting on a black vinyl bench seat that was in the sun. Only made THAT mistake once.:crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom