No start No CEL after snorkel install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a snorkel on my 92 3fe 80. It would turn on for 2 seconds then die out. Now it won’t start at all and no check engine light when key is turned, not sure how to check fusible link but efi relay has been replaced but won’t click. Here’s this too.
97AE44E4-3EB6-4B90-80BE-0D0387B7B853.jpeg
Any help?

70F40531-FC94-4FCB-AADF-6B7C4158FB68.jpeg

Why am I looking inside your AFM?
Why did you remove the cover?
At any point, did you remove the 2 phillips screws on the AFM connector?
Went through many forums and saw many things, checked many things, screws came off when troubleshooting

Went through many forums and saw many things, checked many things, screws came off when troubleshooting
So basically you destroyed your AFM.
This has been well documented on this forum. There is a small spring clip that gets pushed up on the connector to separate the halves. If you remove the screws and pull, the small wires get torn off the board inside. If you have the skills and a decent soldering iron, you might be able to repair it, depending on the damage you caused.
If not, you can source a good used one from any 3FE equipped Land Cruiser (FJ62 or FJ80).
There is also one from specific Camry that works as well.

So basically you destroyed your AFM.
This has been well documented on this forum. There is a small spring clip that gets pushed up on the connector to separate the halves. If you remove the screws and pull, the small wires get torn off the board inside. If you have the skills and a decent soldering iron, you might be able to repair it, depending on the damage you caused.
If not, you can source a good used one from any 3FE equipped Land Cruiser (FJ62 or FJ80).
There is also one from specific Camry that works as well.
Just checked and wires have been torn, thanks for the help. I’m going to try and solder right now. Will update soon

Just checked and wires have been torn, thanks for the help. I’m going to try and solder right now. Will update soon
I'm interested in the the process that made you think that tinkering with the AFM was part of the snorkel install or was this part of your "no start/no CEL troubleshooting?

What he described as "it would run for two seconds and die" is indicative of the AFM non op.

^^^^^^^^This

I’ve changed the afm and it starts up to 1k rpm and now stays on when I give it gas but dies right after i let go

ECU clear/restart - disconnect the battery for a beer

or pull a fuse or two - EFI one I think.

Or maybe its in the process of relearning if you did one or both already.

What a doozy. I found a crack in the intake tube next to the throttle body. It must’ve cracked when I moved the round filter housing. Got that fixed and she runs fine now. Going to test drive soon thank you for all responses

What a doozy. I found a crack in the intake tube next to the throttle body. It must’ve cracked when I moved the round filter housing. Got that fixed and she runs fine now. Going to test drive soon thank you for all responses
Plenty of threads regarding this as well. If you used tape to fix it, consider replacing the parts with OEM as the tape is only temporary.

ECU clear/restart - disconnect the battery for a beer

or pull a fuse or two - EFI one I think.

Or maybe its in the process of relearning if you did one or both already.
Just an FYI for future reference, VERY few things would cause a 3FE to stall once it fires. There is no "learning" condition on any ECU (3FE or 1FZ-FE) that would allow this. The only "learning" that the 3FE ECU goes through is a slightly higher than normal idle for a few drive cycles until all the sensors are relearned.
Pulling the 15 amp EFI fuse for 10 minutes is all that is needed to clear out stored codes and reset the ECU on either engine. It is less invasive than removing a battery terminal.

Plenty of threads regarding this as well. If you used tape to fix it, consider replacing the parts with OEM as the tape is only temporary.
[URL unfurl
i did use tape and have ordered the kit now, I drove it to work and it feels great. I’ll let it sit until the kit comes in and replace it. Thanks for the help!

[URL unfurl
i did use tape and have ordered the kit now, I drove it to work and it feels great. I’ll let it sit until the kit comes in and replace it. Thanks for the help!

You can certainly continue to drive it. My point was that the tape "fix" is really only temporary until the engine heat effects the adhesive and you're back to square 1.
Wits End has lots of OEM goodies for the 3FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom