No Start Help 1982 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well done! This thread deserves more pics after this accomplishment.

When looking for more SA cruiser info, the before restoration pics on the fj companys site was helpful. Plenty of pics for each model.

Oh interesting! I hadn't come across a FJ45 truck resto of theirs...I was always too busy lusting after their FJ45 troopy converted to 4 door (honestly, I really hope to do this some day - modernize a 45 troopy, make it more comfortable, add 2 doors, and have it be a do it all people hauler / camper vehicle. I actually thought about selling my TRD 4runner last year and dumping that money into the project....but I just knew it would prob end up costing the moon, even if I did most of it myself.

I'll definitely post a new, comprehensive thread, linking back to this one when I get her all cleaned up and buttoned up. There is so much negative stigma surrounding SA vehicles and, after buying one basically sight unseen, I get it. Overall my truck is super clean, but there were a couple things fixed in the most negligent way possible to the point where they were dangerous. Still, there was no excuse for the poor state of a few of my vehicles critical components. It had been in this country for 10 years before I bought it last year and was listed at auction several times for $70-80k (lol, I know). I finally purchased it off a dealership in Texas, shipped to me, with no more than an appraisal, a few vids and pics, as required by my insurer. Coming from the bimmer world, I'm big on PPIs. I didn't do one this time, because I chose to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt with all their claims about how they inspect their vehicles. If anyone wants to read my scathing review of Kian Motors and how they sold me a dangerous vehicle...it's a lovely read.

Brian S.'s review of Kian Motors - https://www.yelp.com/biz/kian-motors-plano-3?hrid=vVuXhLMdDNXt_Ysq_A2HrQ&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Anyway, I'll definitely post an update thread with a ton of pics and outlining my journey to get here. I still have a few things to take care of, but overall she seems to be driving great. I was hoping to wait to post pics until I get my custom, acrylic housing / mounts made for my aftermarket amp and sub but that is probably going to be a few months down the road. Hopefully my experiences will provide cautious words of wisdom to anyone looking to buy an SA vehicle, but not just simply writing them off as others do so quickly. At the end of the day...they're available in plenty. I would have been waiting a lifetime to find a clean, mustard yellow FJ45 if I limited my search to US vehicles or imports with US restos. I also didn't want to spend $75K.

Oh interesting! I hadn't come across a FJ45 truck resto of theirs...I was always too busy lusting after their FJ45 troopy converted to 4 door (honestly, I really hope to do this some day - modernize a 45 troopy, make it more comfortable, add 2 doors, and have it be a do it all people hauler / camper vehicle. I actually thought about selling my TRD 4runner last year and dumping that money into the project....but I just knew it would prob end up costing the moon, even if I did most of it myself.

I'll definitely post a new, comprehensive thread, linking back to this one when I get her all cleaned up and buttoned up. There is so much negative stigma surrounding SA vehicles and, after buying one basically sight unseen, I get it. Overall my truck is super clean, but there were a couple things fixed in the most negligent way possible to the point where they were dangerous. Still, there was no excuse for the poor state of a few of my vehicles critical components. It had been in this country for 10 years before I bought it last year and was listed at auction several times for $70-80k (lol, I know). I finally purchased it off a dealership in Texas, shipped to me, with no more than an appraisal, a few vids and pics, as required by my insurer. Coming from the bimmer world, I'm big on PPIs. I didn't do one this time, because I chose to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt with all their claims about how they inspect their vehicles. If anyone wants to read my scathing review of Kian Motors and how they sold me a dangerous vehicle...it's a lovely read.

Brian S.'s review of Kian Motors - https://www.yelp.com/biz/kian-motors-plano-3?hrid=vVuXhLMdDNXt_Ysq_A2HrQ&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Anyway, I'll definitely post an update thread with a ton of pics and outlining my journey to get here. I still have a few things to take care of, but overall she seems to be driving great. I was hoping to wait to post pics until I get my custom, acrylic housing / mounts made for my aftermarket amp and sub but that is probably going to be a few months down the road. Hopefully my experiences will provide cautious words of wisdom to anyone looking to buy an SA vehicle, but not just simply writing them off as others do so quickly. At the end of the day...they're available in plenty. I would have been waiting a lifetime to find a clean, mustard yellow FJ45 if I limited my search to US vehicles or imports with US restos. I also didn't want to spend $75K.
A lot of the south African trucks have been modified with rear side doors; maybe worth a look to get some ideas how they work.
Like this one with Prince Charles in the 1970s (well before he became king obviously).

20230608_010605.jpg

A lot of the south African trucks have been modified with rear side doors; maybe worth a look to get some ideas how they work.
Like this one with Prince Charles in the 1970s (well before he became king obviously).

View attachment 3343340
Hard to tell from the pic, but that miiiiight be a FJ45LV. Those things are crazy expensive if you can find them. I think they only made them in much older model runs too.

Not familiar...got any pics of your vehicle?
This is how I received it and essentially how Meano converted it in the 70s. You'll see that they've extended the pickup bed by about 150mm, and added a permanent hard top

Screenshot_20230210-180232_eBay.jpg

This is how I received it and essentially how Meano converted it in the 70s. You'll see that they've extended the pickup bed by about 150mm, and added a permanent hard top

View attachment 3344845

Hot damn! That's a big boi. Some day I feel like I will end up with a troop carrier style vehicle that also functions as a camper, but with how much time and money I have invested into this truck, I'll hold on to it for now....unless I miraculously come across a killer deal on a restored Capri Blue Troopy.

Hot damn! That's a big boi. Some day I feel like I will end up with a troop carrier style vehicle that also functions as a camper, but with how much time and money I have invested into this truck, I'll hold on to it for now....unless I miraculously come across a killer deal on a restored Capri Blue Troopy.
The bench seat pulls out into a bed which is a touch over 7feet long and about 4ft wide.
My toddler sleeps in a hanging cot in the front seats.

20230524_135036.jpg

Woah, that's dope. Is this much longer than a standard FJ45 Troopy?
A quick Google search tells me that the troopy is about 4.7m long(?), so yes I guess I've got about another 50cm in total. I'm at about 5.2m (about 205" in old money).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom