No spark.... Igniter Module Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I have an 84 FJ with no spark – I did a compression test [120 across the board on a motor with 500k ! ] and fiddled with idle and vacuum last Friday night and upon reassembly, the bloody thing wouldn’t start.

Did all sorts of test, wiggled and reset connections, tried different wires, straight jumping to the coil, etc. Signs are pointing to a blown igniter module.

I have a few spare modules from old 2f systems [2 wire, smooth black box] vs. my ridged silver, 3 wire module. I am not certain what the extra wire is for - the truck is equipped with AC, and I have heard rumors that there is a connection between the AC and the Igniter Module, so I am presuming this is said connection. The AC is currently disconnected.

So my question is this:
Are there any issues with using the older, black-box 2 wire ignition module, presuming I leave the AC circuit disconnected?

Thanks in Advance,
Crash

I believe the extra wire is to shut off the AC when the truck starts. It allows full juice to the starter so the car can turn over without any parasitic losses.

Thanks,

Ok, so I just need to hack the 77-80 module and rewire it to work with my connectors... any idea on a part number on that one?

I'll check out the FSM to see if i cant find some wiring diagrams to sort out what should go where...

Cheers,
Crash

Part no. for what?

On the 77-80 ignitor there were 2 wires that separately fed power to the coil and the ignitor.
Both of the wires will be powered by the one ignition power that went to the 84 coil&ignitor.

In all cases, ground is supplied by the mounting feet.

I have a box of various igniter / coil assemblies, each of different vintage and condition. I was hoping to use part numbers to determine which was which.

I have the 1980 2F FSM, and the 1983 Electrical Diagram FSM, with the engine FSM showing an igniter but limited wiring diagrams, and the 83 showing an external resistor. I have igniter assemblies of each, both old 2-wire style and external resistors, so I am at a loss as to which use.

This may all be a moot point, as I am on the brink of a 3B-T swap, but I am currently without a running truck while I try and organize parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom