No roar from fan. Should I replace or repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I couldn't care less about the fan roaring. I care more about what it's doing to cool the fan-dependent engine behind it.

I've had a blue hub with 35k in it and the valve turned all the way down (found that out after the fact, it was on ALL the time) and an Eaton with the vale tuned by Tools R Us that I put 30k in. I prefer the Eaton as the blue hub tended to get hot when wheeling, the Eaton isn't nearly as bad.

If you are not happy with your Eaton, please PM me and I will gladly take it off your hands.

I couldn't care less about the fan roaring. I care more about what it's doing to cool the fan-dependent engine behind it.

I've had a blue hub with 35k in it and the valve turned all the way down (found that out after the fact, it was on ALL the time) and an Eaton with the vale tuned by Tools R Us that I put 30k in. I prefer the Eaton as the blue hub tended to get hot when wheeling, the Eaton isn't nearly as bad.

If you are not happy with your Eaton, please PM me and I will gladly take it off your hands.

Sadly the eaton was taken by the recycle man long ago.

I don't necessarily care for the roar either but it's an indication of the fan clutch engaged properly and moving a lot of air to cool the engine. The startup roar really helps with summer time heat soaked engine, for eaton it has to wait for it to get hot enough to engage which could take a while. When I make short stops at store or something the coolant temp can quickly jump to 200 or 210 or more but with the startup engagement I can literally watch the temp drop to 190 by the time I exit the parking lot.

If your fan isn't roaring when it's hot then it's not working, my fan roars constantly when it's about 95 degrees and up.

The roar sound itself isn't important, it's what it's doing that is. We got a new engine at work and that thing roars more than I've ever heard. When it kicks in the engine temp will go from 215 to 185 in just 28 seconds sitting stationary ( I know cuz I timed it!).

Did this to my blue clutch
Pulled a camp trailer and a rig with 5 people in it from near sea level to 8000 feet. Engine temps stayed at 209 or less. Traveling was done with OAT at about 100 near sea lvl dropping as we went up in elevation. Pedal was to the floor pretty much the entire time.

I am going through lots of baseline/PM items right now including the fan clutch. Currently draining my Eaton and am planning to fill with 15K CST oil based on what I have seen posted. Typically 50ml is listed as the proper fill amount for an Eaton. However, I was wondering if any one has ran a Eaton with the advised 50ml fill and then ran the same clutch with a higher fill level using the same viscosity of fluid? If so what were the before and after results and how much total oil did you use when going beyond the advised 50ml?

Thanks to "Tool R Us" for all the fan clutch research you have posted. Searching through the info you have provided has been a huge asset.

I am going through lots of baseline/PM items right now including the fan clutch. Currently draining my Eaton and am planning to fill with 15K CST oil based on what I have seen posted. Typically 50ml is listed as the proper fill amount for an Eaton. However, I was wondering if any one has ran a Eaton with the advised 50ml fill and then ran the same clutch with a higher fill level using the same viscosity of fluid? If so what were the before and after results and how much total oil did you use when going beyond the advised 50ml?

Thanks to "Tool R Us" for all the fan clutch research you have posted. Searching through the info you have provided has been a huge asset.

You opened the valve on the eaton so that the fluid can completely drain, right?

Summer Desert Temp Readings

I'd go higher than 15k. More like 25-30K.

Last edited:

I might be the only one but chuck the pile of eaton and get the blue fan clutch and fill it with 20-30k fluid then adjust the valve opening screw and be done.

I literally taken the damn eaton out 6-7 times and put in different weight fluid and different amount. At the end it would never engage or always engage. Wasted tons of time and finally got the blue hub clutch and got it right the first try.

If you really want to try eaton you need at least 60ml for it to do anything at all.

I will give the Eaton one shot with the 15k cst fluid. If it works great, if not I will just get a blue hub AISIN and refill like you said. I figured it was worth the $7 gamble (the price of the silicon oil) to try the Eaton at least once.

I had the same experience as qball with my Eaton didn't get enough in it.I put a blue hub on and it works like a charm.I did drain the aisin and put 20,000 cst in it plus a very small amount of 50,000 cst for s***s and giggles.doesn't run all the time works like it should just more force

I will give the Eaton one shot with the 15k cst fluid. If it works great, if not I will just get a blue hub AISIN and refill like you said. I figured it was worth the $7 gamble (the price of the silicon oil) to try the Eaton at least once.

Sure, but don't say we didn't warn you. :)

To save you some time just unbolt the 4 bolts on the fan clutch, unbolt the 2 bolts on top of the fan shroud and you can slide the fan clutch and fan between the radiator and shroud carefully from the passenger side.

The only silver lining to my wasted time with eaton is that I can get the fan/clutch in and out in 15 minutes now.

Update. Looks like I will be using a new AISIN blue hub clutch.

I drained my Eaton fully but noticed the valve did not open soon enough. So before filling it with my 15k cst oil I decided to adjust the spring, that did not go so well. I ended up ruining the spring. Found a new blue hub for about $60 shipped so I am going that route now with 20k to 25k CST oil.

Update. Looks like I will be using a new AISIN blue hub clutch.

I drained my Eaton fully but noticed the valve did not open soon enough. So before filling it with my 15k cst oil I decided to adjust the spring, that did not go so well. I ended up ruining the spring. Found a new blue hub for about $60 shipped so I am going that route now with 20k to 25k CST oil.

What are you planning on doing with that Eaton? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom