No Power when off - fuse issue? Something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some odd behavior. When the car is off there is no power - so the fob does not work, the power door locks do not work, the dome light inside the truck does not come on when a door is open,etc. When I turn the key to get the truck power or turn on the ignition all the power items work - the locks, the light, etc. I have no idea what is going on. Any help? This is a pain because locking the doors requires old school locking of every door.

There is no issue with the truck when driving other than the wipers on auto do not seem to work - they often will not wipe when there is rain and then days later when the winshield is bone dry they will come on as if the windshield is wet - but I have no idea if this is related to the power issue.

have you tried, using the key in the driver door and turning twice in 1 direction, that will either lock all the doors or unlock all the doors
battery in FOB?
there is a sensor on the windshield that senses moisture for the auto wipers to work, it may not be installed with a correct gel pak to the windshield

This is a 2003 that I bought a year ago. The behavior started about 2 months ago. The battery in the FOB is new - it is not the FOB as the other issues like the dome light, etc. also don't work.

I have not tried turning the key twice - did not know that trick.

On the wipers - they worked correctly for 10 months. Now they seem to work sporadically and at the opposite time they should. Does the gel need to be reapplied?

Check the ECU B fuse, or something similar. On my 01 LX it is located in the fuse box under the hood. Mine is a 7.5A flavor.

Did you find a solution to this? I have this exact same issue for my 1999 lx470. I've checked the fused a few times over and seems to be okay. I've speculated three things for my case but still unsure about it.

1) When a previous owner deleted his AHC, he could have failed to plug something back in.

2) A previous owner had a dual battery setup, perhaps powering accessories to the second battery when the car is off.

3) There could be an issue with the ignition.

So far you are the only person I've found with the exact same issue.

Update: I finally figured it out, and I'm really disappointed.

So I narrowed it down to the ECU-B fuse, but I was confused as the manual I have been using didn't show it anywhere (I could only find a 98 OM for my 99). The fuse box did show an ECU-B1 fuse on the diagram so I took one last look and found the previous owner had put a 15A fuse in the ECU-B fuse, which was meant to be 20A. 🤦‍♂️

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, that the previous owner put the wrong fuse in or that I missed that small detail after checking the fuses multiple times before.

Hey - I never figured this out so curious as to your explanation. What happened to me most recently suggested it was NOT a fuse - but maybe? After months of the behavior described, suddenly, out of nowhere, things worked for about 6 hours. I came into the truck one day and noticed the wheel all the way in the "up position. I then tried the fob, and sure enough, it worked. Everything worked. Which suggests it was not a fuse - a blown fuse does not suddenly start working. Then, 6 hours later, all dead again and back to the same behavior.
Are you saying a different volt fuse will fix it?

Hey - I never figured this out so curious as to your explanation. What happened to me most recently suggested it was NOT a fuse - but maybe? After months of the behavior described, suddenly, out of nowhere, things worked for about 6 hours. I came into the truck one day and noticed the wheel all the way in the "up position. I then tried the fob, and sure enough, it worked. Everything worked. Which suggests it was not a fuse - a blown fuse does not suddenly start working. Then, 6 hours later, all dead again and back to the same behavior.
Are you saying a different volt fuse will fix it?

I was saying that the previous owner had a 15A fuse instead of the factory required 20A fuse. Since 20 amps wasn't able to pass through a 15A fuse, it wasn't able to complete the circuit. I
found this out by using the diagram on the fuse box instead of the older 98 owners manual.

I agree its unlikely to be a blown fuse. If your issue is intermittent, I'd imagine it could be an issue with the fuse box itself. I wouldn't suggest putting a higher amperage fuse as that would be dangerous, but check and make sure it is the correct amperage, and that it's seated correctly. Also make sure the connections are cleaned and inspect for any noticeable wear or damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom