No Power in my stereo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I searched and yes, I found a ton of articles. The problem is, im an idiot and still don't know exactly what to do.
Ive attempted to do probably the simplest install and can't even seem to get that right. sigh.

Installing a pioneer double din unit.
The guys at Best Buy tossed me this harness.
So I wired it up and to be honest, not sure what im doing exactly.

I get absolutely no power. Doesn't turn on at all.

I know I should bypass factory amp which I have NOT done.

But either way, I should at least see power, right?

Factory radio worked previously right before I pulled it out.

Can someone take a look at the photo and tell me what Im messing up on?

Thank you all so much

Harness.jpg

Not sure which wires you have spliced together in the pic but you can buy a harness that will plug directly into the pioneer head unit and into you’re factory harness. I think I got one on amazon for about $8.

No expert here either, but that doesn’t seem like enough wires.
Metra 70-1761 is a harness that works.
There’s a really good write up in here somewhere...

First of all you haven't stated what model and year of vehicle you have. The LX450 is much different from the Land Cruiser.

On the new radio you have the audio outputs routed as pre-amp RCA plugs that require the use of an amp. The factory amp is not going to give you good results. Most new head units have sufficient power from the built-in amplifiers that an external amp is not required and will simplify your installation to wire directly to the existing speaker connections. The proper harness for the Land Cruiser is not what you have shown in the photo. The proper harness has two plugs that plug into the two white connectors in the dash. If you have a LX there is a unique write up that you need to search for.

What @ppc said. Plus, here is a good thread with pictures. It may or may not be appropriate, but it has nice pictures of the whole harness we need in the 80 series when NOT using factory amp.
I think BestBuy possibly gave you the wrong harness.
dang it, how do I link a thread? Grrr

cripes. Search "new stereo and factory amp bypass"

Without meaning to completely hi-jack this thread. My ‘93 had an aftermarket single DIN head unit installed by the PO. It’s never had power since I’ve owned it. it appears to have some sort of plastic surround installed in the OEM slot, with slots for two single DIN units, but only a one unit installed

I’ve always assumed I would need to drop the whole dash, to look behind at the wiring and start working through why no power.

Is there usually some way to release these head units and pull it out, without removing the dash ?

You don't really have to drop the entire dash. The lower dash below the steering wheel is just a few screws. No need to disconnect the hood release or fuel door release. The center section again is just a few screws, removal of the ashtray and then unplug all the switch connectors. After doing it a few times I can do it in less than 15 minutes.

We had issues with power on our stereo install on the 92. Start with the right harness, as stated. We ended up with 2 blown fuse and a clipped wire at the clock. Yes, the old stereo worked fine before it was removed. Patience, a multi-tester, and wire tracing. One fuse was in the engine bay, another in the dash.

Ok, I had the wrong harness. Im never listening to anyone at Best Buy again and treating the internet and ih8mud as the bible, no exceptions. Ha.
Got the same harness that Crutchfield offers and connected the other two harnesses and voila, all good. No blown fuses. Sorry for all the commotion.
Hijack away @aktundra :)

Ok, I had the wrong harness. Im never listening to anyone at Best Buy again and treating the internet and ih8mud as the bible, no exceptions. Ha.
Got the same harness that Crutchfield offers and connected the other two harnesses and voila, all good. No blown fuses. Sorry for all the commotion.
Hijack away @aktundra :)

Did you end up bypassing your factory amp or not?

Did you end up bypassing your factory amp or not?

I did not. I just wired everything up and shoved it back in. I still have to install a pair of new front speakers. Everything works fine but couldn't tell you about the quality of everything just yet since the front speakers are sorta busted.

Got it. I just replaced my stereo and replaced all 4 door speakers. I struggled big-time with the stereo and had to take it somebody to bypass the factory amp.. way too many wires.

Good luck on the door speakers! They were a pain for me. Had to 3D print spacers and lots of rewiring as some of the wiring was shot.

Got it. I just replaced my stereo and replaced all 4 door speakers. I struggled big-time with the stereo and had to take it somebody to bypass the factory amp.. way too many wires.

Good luck on the door speakers! They were a pain for me. Had to 3D print spacers and lots of rewiring as some of the wiring was shot.

Ugh. Im battling a CEL issue and now im wondering if its due to my stereo install. So now, im thinking, maybe its fine without the new front speakers. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom