no mo funny noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think you guys might have saved me big time...After reading the thread on "bad u-joints" I promptly went out and shot some grease in mine.I initially recognized that the fitting had not been touched in quite awhile. So I start pumpin grease in them and notice it takes several pumps until I finally hear some popping cracking noise and the grease finally starts comin out the joint area.Is it normal to take 5 to 6 pumps to get grease to be visible?And the popping crackin noise like air being pushed out?Also when pumpin grease into the driveshaft fittin I noticed it was being elongated as I pumped it in and recessed back to normal position when I stopped ?I pumped about 10 to 12 shots in the drive shaft fitting and have no grease oozin out but I stopped since I'm not sure if it is suppose to ooze out or not.Anyhow here is the good part...I use to have this clunking sound occasionally like slop in the drivetrain somewhere when I would come to a stop and take off.IT'S GONE. So whats your guys take on this scenario?Any input would be appreciated.......Vince

Vince,

It sounds like your u joints and slip joints were dry. You may have overdone it a bit on the slip yokes. Usually it is not good to get them too full as they then act like a hydraulic ram. I usually put 2 or 3 pumps in or until I see the yoke barely move. You will probably be ok If the slip joint was very dry. You may want to keep an eye on the insides of the "Y's". There is a steel core plug in the end that can pop out from excessive hydraulic pressure.

Thnx Dan, The "y" is the piece that slides into the shaft and holds the u-joint itself? And the cap is in the crotch of this "y"? And what if I do find its missing,then what? thnx again,Vince

Yup, that's it.

If it's gone, to fix it Mr T's way requires you to buy a new yoke. You could probably find one (freeze plug) at NAPA or the like and drive it in. I don't see that happen very often. I think they do it that way as a method to allow excess pressure to escape.

You can trash the input bearings on the transfercase if you put to much grease into the driveshaft slip joint. Remove the grease nipple and drive it around like that over some rough terrain to get the suspension to cycle. That way any excess will be pushed out of the hole. Then re-install the grease nipple.

Excelent idea Christo.

I didn't think about that one ::). I agree completely.... ;)

whoa,will do that 1st thing tomorrow..dont know what I would do without u guys...thnx again,Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom