No Master Key... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't think I have a master key...it has the 3 buttons, remote unlock works, but when I put it in the ignition...it takes about a second or two for the security indicator to go out...it is the ONLY key I have right now...I have a 1999 LX 470.

My question, can I convert this key to a Master? If not...what are the ramifications on just getting another key made that works the same?

I tried to read the threads, but I just didn't get it.

If anyone knows of a locksmith or tech in the Northern Virginia area that can help with this (if it is a big deal), please pass the information on.

I don't think I have a master key...it has the 3 buttons, remote unlock works, but when I put it in the ignition...it takes about a second or two for the security indicator to go out...it is the ONLY key I have right now...I have a 1999 LX 470.

My question, can I convert this key to a Master? If not...what are the ramifications on just getting another key made that works the same?

If anyone knows of a locksmith or tech in the Northern Virginia area that can help with this (if it is a big deal), please pass the information on.

"Locate and Observe the Security light in the center stack of the dash board. The Security light should be blinking. Now insert your key into the ignition, Do Not Turn!, and simultaneously observe the Security light, 3 results are possible:"

1. Security light continues to blink = The key is not recognized
  2. Security light stays on for 2-3 seconds = Valet key
  3. Security light goes off immediately = Master key

To determine if your key is 'cut' as a Master or Valet, simply try in all the locks. IF it will open the doors but NOT the glove compartment, it was 'cut' as a Valet Key. IF i will open everything it was 'cut' as Master.

IF your security light does not immediately go off when the key is inserted into the ignition, then chances are good that key is also 'programmed' as a Valet Key. Meaning it can not be used to program/create another key that is a Master Key.

IF you have no Master Key, you can have the ECU reflashed (your 1999 model) and have Master or Valet keys made and programmed to it.

I had a similar issue, as I bought my Cruiser and was only given the grey valet key. Ended up having to buy a new transponder key online and call a mobile locksmith to the tune of $500. At the end of the day though, it was worth it because it only took him about 30 minutes and now I've got multiple backup master keys so I never get into this issue again.

Good luck!

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with computers/linux/taking things apart but you can probably clip on/solder onto the flash chip inside the immobilizer, dump the contents, add your key to the master list in a hex editor, then rewrite the dump back to the chip. If you have a Raspberry Pi or Beagle Board, you can likely use something like flashrom (iirc) to do this. This guy did something very similar with his truck: DIY: Immobilizer Hacking for Lost Keys or Swapped ECU

I haven't seen the innards of the ones for our trucks but I doubt they're much different. Look for the flash chip and get the part number and google for a data sheet. Another example of how to flash a chip would be here (obviously VERY different goals but the flashing part is pretty similar): Libreboot – Flashing the T500 with a BeagleBone Black

I called a local locksmith this week and they said "we are getting a new machine next week and should be able to do this..." I will keep everyone posted...

The shop is in Arlington, VA FWIW.

This issue seems to come up on a regular basis and I'm surprised it's not a common service to reprogram the ECU - however difficult it may be. With what the dealers charge to set everything right, it seems there's a big gap for a third party to fill, short of a $500 locksmith call.

Perhaps I should investigate what investment is required to offer the service and expand my key offerings...

Toyota had a "free" ECU replacement program to address this issue. When I looked into it three years ago, the dealership said that Toyota was no longer supporting that program. I don't know for sure if that is true or not but you might want to double check with you local dealer. To qualify, you had to pay for two new master keys to get it. In my case, it was cheaper to sent the ECU off than to buy two master keys from the dealer.

I will keep everyone posted on what I figure out...had a dead battery this morning, so...different set of problems. Truck only sat for 5 days without being started ('99 LX470 114K).

I just went through a few weeks of trying to get replacement keys for my 2002 LC. Basically, when I recently purchased it, I had two keys that worked to start the car: one key with the lock/unlock remote functions, and one plain black key. Each of these could start the car--however, I wanted extra key(s) to hide on the vehicle and have as back up because this LC is parked at a lake cottage part of the year, where other family members would drive it--so, needed additional keys. I visited multiple websites, watched you tube videos, the IH8MUD forums, etc etc. I ordered a key fob from the internet and went through the gyrations to get the remote lock functions to work (open and close door, lock/unlock 5 times, etc.......) and got the REMOTE to work(!). HOWEVER the procedure to program the immobilizer would NOT work no matter what I did. The car cranked, but would not start. Plus the indicator light on the dash continued to blink indicating that the key was not programmed to start it. I read where Toyota "only allowed up to 5 keys to be programmed"...so I tried to delete any other keys....however that did not work either. I called and was ready to visit a dealer.........until I heard from a colleague that my local hardware store could program it. I did not think that was possible, based on everything I had researched and read. MY SOLUTION: I visited my local hardware store, where they had a ChipKey program (www.chipkey.com). The said they could program a key to start the car. I was of course skeptical, because of everything I had read. They looked up my vehicle (2002 TLC), and found the key blank...and proceeded to program it right there at the counter. They used the "TOY-100" blank, and it's programmed with the "I-Tool' that they use. Then he cut the key to match the other key so it would fit into the ignition. We both went out to the car, and IT STARTED RIGHT UP. The dash indicator notes that it is programmed also (blinker stops when key is inserted into ignition. NOTE, this key does not have the remote lock/unlock buttons, but who cares--I was able to program a different key with those functions. MY main concern was to just get the vehicle to start. I went back in and had him program another key to match. Again, it worked perfectly. This must be a franchise that is available to hardware stores that choose to participate. I recommend that you go to the website (www.chipkey.com) and make some inquiries as to where the nearest franchise is to your location. This is NOT cheap ($69 per key) but you can get the key(s) you need without going through all the malarky with ECU programming/replacements, etc etc etc. End the madness!!

I just went through a few weeks of trying to get replacement keys for my 2002 LC. Basically, when I recently purchased it, I had two keys that worked to start the car: one key with the lock/unlock remote functions, and one plain black key. Each of these could start the car--however, I wanted extra key(s) to hide on the vehicle and have as back up because this LC is parked at a lake cottage part of the year, where other family members would drive it--so, needed additional keys. I visited multiple websites, watched you tube videos, the IH8MUD forums, etc etc. I ordered a key fob from the internet and went through the gyrations to get the remote lock functions to work (open and close door, lock/unlock 5 times, etc.......) and got the REMOTE to work(!). HOWEVER the procedure to program the immobilizer would NOT work no matter what I did. The car cranked, but would not start. Plus the indicator light on the dash continued to blink indicating that the key was not programmed to start it. I read where Toyota "only allowed up to 5 keys to be programmed"...so I tried to delete any other keys....however that did not work either. I called and was ready to visit a dealer.........until I heard from a colleague that my local hardware store could program it. I did not think that was possible, based on everything I had researched and read. MY SOLUTION: I visited my local hardware store, where they had a ChipKey program (www.chipkey.com). The said they could program a key to start the car. I was of course skeptical, because of everything I had read. They looked up my vehicle (2002 TLC), and found the key blank...and proceeded to program it right there at the counter. They used the "TOY-100" blank, and it's programmed with the "I-Tool' that they use. Then he cut the key to match the other key so it would fit into the ignition. We both went out to the car, and IT STARTED RIGHT UP. The dash indicator notes that it is programmed also (blinker stops when key is inserted into ignition. NOTE, this key does not have the remote lock/unlock buttons, but who cares--I was able to program a different key with those functions. MY main concern was to just get the vehicle to start. I went back in and had him program another key to match. Again, it worked perfectly. This must be a franchise that is available to hardware stores that choose to participate. I recommend that you go to the website (www.chipkey.com) and make some inquiries as to where the nearest franchise is to your location. This is NOT cheap ($69 per key) but you can get the key(s) you need without going through all the malarky with ECU programming/replacements, etc etc etc. End the madness!!

Obvious spam post, but I looked it up, and my local independent Ace Hardware had one of these machines. 5 min and $79 later I now have a second valet key for my 2002 lx which will reduce my stress level until I figure out how to get a master.

A local key programmer was able to program a master key for $60 with 3 button that I bought on Amazon for $25. He copied the mobilizer from the valet and programmed it to the new key.

A local key programmer was able to program a master key for $60 with 3 button that I bought on Amazon for $25. He copied the mobilizer from the valet and programmed it to the new key.
Are you in OC? Can you pm me the contact info of your key programmer?

Sorry for resurecting an older post. I have no master key. The dealer was able to cut one that operates the glove box and doors but the engine won't start because there is no chip. Why not just use this key to cut a chip key then clone the rfid from my valet key over to the newly cut key. This would be a hybrid valet that could operate the glove box. Any disadvantage to this? I know I would still not have a true master key but does this matter? Should be way cheaper than sending the ecu out to be reflashed.

Question: Do you have a key (any key, not necessarily the "master" key) that can start the engine?. I assume you do. If the answer is YES, review my post above (Dec 2, 2017) where I outlined my experience with the local hardware store that had the "Chipkey" program. They were able to clone the key that I had (it was certainly not a "master key") several times-- I think I got 3 keys made---($69 ea so not cheap but worth it for me to have extra working keys). These keys do not have the remote function for door locks; I don't care about that because I programmed a key separately just for that. I just wanted extra keys to start the vehicle and that I could hide on the chassis, etc. Not sure if I answered your inquiry, but again I assume that you must have a key capable of starting the engine.....regards!

I will keep everyone posted on what I figure out...had a dead battery this morning, so...different set of problems. Truck only sat for 5 days without being started ('99 LX470 114K).

I noticed that you are local.

I had the same issue. No Master key when I bought my 2000 LX470. Stealership wanted close to $1100 to cut and program a new master key. They also said they couldn't cut me valet key that would start the car. Just unlock and lock. Total BS! I understand there is difficulty with the master key but the Valet? Found a local shop in Fairfax VA that had no issue cutting me a new valet key and programming the chip. I plan on going with a remote start/alarm and calling it day. This is just my trail rig.

The key I'm starting with is a valet key. I'm proposing to clone the valet key chip onto a key blade that is the same as the master key so that the end result would be a valet key that opens the glove box. Any disadvantage to doing this?

The key I'm starting with is a valet key. I'm proposing to clone the valet key chip onto a key blade that is the same as the master key so that the end result would be a valet key that opens the glove box. Any disadvantage to doing this?

Valet key were never meant to open the glove box. Thats why that call it a valet key.

I think you would need master key that might have a few extra teeth to turn the glove box lock.

Yes I was able to obtain a master key blade that opens the glove box from the dealer, cut based on the vin. I was going to copy the valet key chip onto a key with this blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom