No longer pristine... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of weeks ago I let my son take my beloved "Patience" while I was off for a few days of RnR with my wife. Well, the fickle finger of fate got him. He got smacked with some very unfortunate Toyota on Toyota violence and now I need to pick up the pieces on my baby. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you see it), attacker's insurance is ready to pay up, but nobody locally is in a position to source all the parts for such a unique vehicle. My local body shop will replace and paint if I get them the parts. So here I am...reaching out to the experts.

I have been in contact with different outlets with varying success looking for what I think I need. Here is what I need help with...can any of you see something I am missing in my diagnosis and what other parts I may need to put this back to original condition?

I'm having particular difficulty finding the correct original grill and turn signals as these were definitely replaced before she got to me. I've found the upper fender but not the flat one. Also, the steering was perfectly straight before and now has to be turned 90+ degrees to the left to go straight. Shackle bolts or leaf springs? Body mounts?

I can do a bit on cars, but body work is not my forte. Any thoughts you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

scene 3.jpg

Front left.jpg

Turn signal and grill.jpg

bumper and mounts.jpg

suspension bent.jpg

I'm so sorry, man.

Your side markers are new style, which sit further forward. This means your grill is also new style (the sombrero grill), which has less lip to accommodate the forward side markers. So, the grill you need is new style, unless you replace your side markers as well. I think Cruiser Outfitters stocks both. Here's a comparison.

Just make sure you get new/new or old/old so your grill matches your markers when you replace it all.

1665351575385-png.3140239

Best wishes on the rest. I have never dealt with ordering body components on a 70 and hope I never have to. I'm glad your son is OK.

Hello,

I am sad to see this.

You can order the front bumper and the fender. Both can be disassembled and replaced.

Order two gussets for the front bumper.

The fender has three parts. An inner apron, the fender and a "panel" that goes over the fender. All three bolt on with the rest of the body.

If you replace the fender, you just have to get it painted. No body work needed.

The fender has a seal where the panel seats.

As mentioned above, grill and indicators are separate parts. The indicators are bolted to the panel.

Your indicator is from a post-1999 LX spec model. Check the parts catalog for a 78/79 Series. It looks unaffected. Same for the grill, but it looks unaffected.

Front bumper: 52101-60100.
Left gusset: 52116-60020.
Right gusset: 52117-60010.
Fender: 53802-90K04.
Panel: 53304-60060.
Apron: 53702-6A200.
Fender liner/seal: 53879-90K00.
Indicator: 81520-60410.

Take the chance to install a license plate, p/n 75111-60050.

Disclaimer: these part numbers are from a post-1999 model, because older parts may have been discontinued.

Check the shackles, shackle mounts, leaf springs, steering linkage and wheel hub for repair/replacement.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Thank you both so much. This is just the info I need! I'm talking with Cruiser Parts now. They are out of a few things, mainly the flat fender and indicators. I'm a little concerned about ordering big body parts from overseas as well. I guess there is a first time for everything. Thank you again and I'll report back on the process.

I'm so sorry, man.

Your side markers are new style, which sit further forward. This means your grill is also new style (the sombrero grill), which has less lip to accommodate the forward side markers. So, the grill you need is new style, unless you replace your side markers as well. I think Cruiser Outfitters stocks both. Here's a comparison.

Just make sure you get new/new or old/old so your grill matches your markers when you replace it all.

Best wishes on the rest. I have never dealt with ordering body components on a 70 and hope I never have to. I'm glad your son is OK.
I'm so sorry, man.

Best wishes on the rest. I have never dealt with ordering body components on a 70 and hope I never have to. I'm glad your son is OK
Thank you for the wishes. My son knows how much I love my truck and that he had to be the one in it when he got smacked even though there was nothing he could have done. She drove through the parking area, through a hedge, over the curbs and across the road with enough force to push him 6' to the right. I suppose that says something about the strength of the old LC.

I have a spare bumper down in Everett if you need/want it. It was chrome and painted black at one point and might need a bit of work, but its free.

1675361227444.png

I really appreciate the offer. So kind of you. I am going to try and go with brand new everything since her insurance has assumed full liability.

Nice rig though!

If you want new everything, you may want to be careful using cruiserparts. However I am sure you will be ok with 70 series parts. I have used them before without any issue.

It is the 40 and 60 series guys that seem to get surprised not getting exactly what they expected such as used rusty parts.

I really appreciate the offer. So kind of you. I am going to try and go with brand new everything since her insurance has assumed full liability.

Nice rig though!
That I totally understand. And thanks, likewise! Hopefully yours will be back to looking great in no time.

I would go with Kurt @cruiseroutfit and see what they can do for you.
Partsouq.com can also be a option.

I Second be careful with Cruierparts !

Sad to see. I feel with you.
Apparently the truck got hit on the wheel.
I recommend to disassemble the knuckle, steering box and steering linkage, springs. Inspect those carefully for internal damage.
Have the frame and mounts professonally laser measured (the opponent's insurance will pay) to make sure nothing is bend.
If your steering wheel is not straight any more evidently something in your linkage got bend.
Good Luck Ralf

First, thank you all for your help with numbers and parts. I have almost all the parts in. The last issue is a bumper. I am having a bear of a time trying to get one shipped in from overseas. I have looked at all the standard overseas places. They either don't want to ship it or want as much as the bumper in shipping. Does anyone have a line on an OEM NEW chrome bumper 52101-60100 in the US or Canada?

First, thank you all for your help with numbers and parts. I have almost all the parts in. The last issue is a bumper. I am having a bear of a time trying to get one shipped in from overseas. I have looked at all the standard overseas places. They either don't want to ship it or want as much as the bumper in shipping. Does anyone have a line on an OEM NEW chrome bumper 52101-60100 in the US or Canada?
You may have mentioned it somewhere in this thread and I simply overlooked it but have you considered adding a brushbar in lieu of a factory bumper?

I'm so sorry, man.

Don't want to hijack this thread, just wanted some clarification with regards to the new-style/old-style, Sombrero/Toyota badge grill issue:
I have, what seems to be new style grill if we consider the badge, but looks like old style considering dimensions of the skirt and the horizontal divisions....
What gives....?

16844286864014188048691213037471.jpg

Standard overseas places include Stedman? Dave is a packaging/shipping wizard.

Well, balance was restored to the force yesterday with the arrival of the last part. "Patience" got a big beautiful piece of chrome. Special thanks go out to Dave Stedman who sourced the bumper that, in his words "is so shiny you can see all your life's disappointments in it". You are the man Dave!

My final question to all is this. It appears that in the crash, the front end soaked up all the force and transferred it to the steering box that now has a twisted shaft. My body shop aligned it well enough given the circumstances, so that it tracks straight and the steering wheel is pretty well straight up and down. However, it is all a little off, two turns to the left and one and a half on the right on the steering to compensate.

Any thoughts on trying to rebuild the steering box and realigning everything? Maybe replace the pitman arm just in case? A whole new unit is pretty pricey.

On a side note, there were a couple parts that the shop was able to save so I have some parts that I can't send back. Anyone interested DM me. I'll add pictures in the classified thread as soon as I can. Front Fender Apron left 53720-90K96 (figured out that this is for a 12v battery tray, not a 24v) Has a coat of 040 on it, Left hood side panel 53304-60060 (unpainted), Lamp unit, turnlight (R and L) 81520-60410 and 81520-60520, Rubber seal for the fenders 53879-90K00, and a couple other bits and brackets that I'll add later.

IMG_5649.jpg

The steering box should be totally rebuildable and should be before you start driving it regularly if it has twisted sector shaft.
This is a common issue on the 80 series and once the shaft is twisted it can snap off at any time leaving you with no way to steer the vehicle.
You may be able to source the parts from Partsouq.com, go to there site and type in your vin
Or reach out to RedHead Steering Gears redheadsteeringgears.com a favorite in the 80 crowd

PS the rig look really good !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom