Nitto Ridge Grappler vs Toyo Open Country AT3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ocLC200

SILVER Star
Threads
Have a 2017 LC and looking to upgrade my stock tires to LT275/70/18. I have it narrowed down to either the Nitto Ridge Grappler or the Toyo AT3. Both are very well respected tires and guessing one can't go wrong with either one. However, the Toyo AT3 is a newer design and 5# lighter. I live in Southern California and not exposed to snow and very little rain. I was leaning toward the ridge grapplers, but the 5# weight savings of the AT3 seems significant. Will be going to LCDC this summer and want to get more appropriate tires. Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

5lbs per corner, you won't feel a single difference.

Do the Toyo AT3s in LT275/70/18 fit without any rubbing or modifications? If so that's probably the route I would go, but that's solely based on feedback I've read in other posts.

Have a 2017 LC and looking to upgrade my stock tires to LT275/70/18. I have it narrowed down to either the Nitto Ridge Grappler or the Toyo AT3. Both are very well respected tires and guessing one can't go wrong with either one. However, the Toyo AT3 is a newer design and 5# lighter. I live in Southern California and not exposed to snow and very little rain. I was leaning toward the ridge grapplers, but the 5# weight savings of the AT3 seems significant. Will be going to LCDC this summer and want to get more appropriate tires. Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

I think the distinguishing choice here is level of aggressiveness in off-road performance that you're looking for. In trade to some better street performance qualities and efficiencies.

The Toyo is classified as an AT tire. NRG is classified as a hybrid tire meaning it's between a mud-terrain and all-terrain. So more aggressive than ATs as a group. With Toyo's not even representing necessarily the most aggressive of ATs. That should tell you most of the story depending on where you want to be on the spectrum.

Agreed, that 5lbs isn't even worth considering as a distinguishing factor.

If you're looking for something in between the Toyo and Nitto, I'd highly recommend Falken AT3Ws - great aggressive yet all around excellent tire on par with the Toyos.

ocLC200,
I had the same thoughts, narrowed it down to your two choices, and tried to buy the Toyo. The local tire shop could not get them and Discount Tire says they are on backorder with no ETA. So, yesterday I had my new Nitto RG's installed. Ultimately, I wanted new tires now and RG's were available now. So, maybe check your supplier and buy what's available.
Best of luck,
Robert

We just purchased our LC with Ridge Grapplers already installed on it. I've had trucks with both AT and MT tires on them, and I would put these Ridge Grapplers on the quieter side given their aggressiveness.

We haven't put too many miles on them yet, but we do drive 80 miles/day work commute, and they feel like great tires to me. I have nothing to compare them to but we are happy with them.

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard that they are quiet which is a big plus, and I really like their aggressiveness. Also good to know that 5# doesn't make a bit of difference.

I've run both and recommend the Ridge Grappler. the Toyos were noisy for an "all terrain"
the ridge grapplers aren't the best sand/mud tire, but they are amazing on every other surface*.
(disclaimer, i live in AZ so i do not have experience with ridge grapplers in snow/ice)

I've been running 275/70R18 Ridge Grapplers for a week now and have been thrilled with them. Even though it's only been a week we have been on a road trip so they've seen about 1000 miles with 800 of that on the highway. They are very quiet at speed compared to my KO2's that I ran on my 4Runner (although it may not be a fair comparison given how loud that car was).

Just placed the order for the RG. Sold out locally so it will be 10 days before I can get them installed. Can’t wait. Thanks for the feedback.

Do the Toyo AT3s in LT275/70/18 fit without any rubbing or modifications? If so that's probably the route I would go, but that's solely based on feedback I've read in other posts.
Yes. I have that combo on my 200.

Same as experience as many here. The RG's are a fantastic tire, and even in a 305 18 size, they are still quieter and balance better than the smaller 285 18 BFG's I had on this 2014 LC200 before I put on the RG's. I had Toyo OC AT2 on my 100 series, and while not an apple to apple comparison to the AT3, I continue to think that the Ridge Grappler is the best set of tires I have ever mounted on any of my cruisers.

My prior experience with Nitto was with their MT and I was highly disappointed so I avoided the Ridge Grappler for a long time. We've had the RG's on the GX for 30k miles now and they still have 12/32" of tread depth left so tread life is amazing for this category. I expect to get 50-60K miles out of this set. They are quieter than the BFG KO2's at speed (another of my favorites) and they perform better in every area except for sand, but they are by no means poor performers in the sand. The Toyo RT is right up there with it but they are less aggressive, heavier, more expensive and harder to find. You can't go wrong with RG's and I think you'll be extremely happy with them.

Couldn't get the colors to match properly, but here is a before and after with the new RG installed...what a difference!
Before and After.jpg

Nice look. Do you have the stock suspension, and if so no rubbing issues or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom