Nitto Ridge Grappler vs Toyo Open Country AT3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would be curious to know how the Cooper AT3 XLT compare with the other two in terms of comfort and quietness.

The Ridge Grapplers are noticeable if it’s not your daily. For instance, I drive another vehicle that is whisper quiet for a few days and then drive my 200 with RG’s. I recognize how loud they are once I hit the freeway. Keep in mind, many folks on here are probably half deaf 🤣. I fortunately and unfortunately have seriously great hearing which kind of sucks at times 👩 🗣😒. The hum of the tires is very noticeable. However, you will tune it out after driving for awhile and playing music. It’s the price you pay for an excellent hybrid A/T.

Entirely possible. I either drive my LC or my 21 Vette which is decidedly NOT quiet which may exacerbate the issue. Lots of years of super loud stage volume has taken its toll for sure lol. My 13 Rubicon had Trail Grapplers and that thing was insanely loud and with the Terra Grapplers being louder than the Ridge, maybe I'm just super happy to have something more quiet than those. Either way, they ain't bad :)

I have a 2020 LC HE - all stock, and I'm about to replace tires.

Looks like the Toyos LT275/70/18 will fit stock suspension without modification with only minor rubbing at full articulation.

Do we know if the Nitto RG LT275/70R18 (E) will fit stock suspension without modification the same way? Or would I need to drop down to a LT275/65R18 (E)? Thanks!
Cousin is running the 275/70/18 RG on his stock 200. Gets rubbing when suspension compresses but he's also on +18 offset wheels which exaggerates the problem for him

Is anyone running the RG in the 285/60/18 P Metric? Thinking about these as a more road oriented tire with good off road capabilities.

Entirely possible. I either drive my LC or my 21 Vette which is decidedly NOT quiet which may exacerbate the issue. Lots of years of super loud stage volume has taken its toll for sure lol. My 13 Rubicon had Trail Grapplers and that thing was insanely loud and with the Terra Grapplers being louder than the Ridge, maybe I'm just super happy to have something more quiet than those. Either way, they ain't bad :)
Drummer here…I’ve been using in ear monitors for years now, still, the damage has been done from all of the years prior 🤣

I would be curious to know how the Cooper AT3 XLT compare with the other two in terms of comfort and quietness.
I have these in LT285/75/17 E. I have had this set for 2 years now. They really are silent. Great in the rain too. Nothing bad to say about them.
That being said, my next tire will be a mud tire because I'm tired of being sensible. ;)

I have these in LT285/75/17 E. I have had this set for 2 years now. They really are silent. Great in the rain too. Nothing bad to say about them.
That being said, my next tire will be a mud tire because I'm tired of being sensible. ;)
I have the exact size tire as you and roughly 5k miles on them. You’re telling me you can’t hear them driving down the freeway? I wouldn’t say they are loud but I can’t certainly hear them humming. Nothing like the sound of a Mud tire but they certainly louder vs. the stock tires they came with. Maybe I need to have mine rebalanced or something.

I have the exact size tire as you and roughly 5k miles on them. You’re telling me you can’t hear them driving down the freeway? I wouldn’t say they are loud but I can’t certainly hear them humming. Nothing like the sound of a Mud tire but they certainly louder vs. the stock tires they came with. Maybe I need to have mine rebalanced or something.
Over the sound of my Gobi rack? No I can't hear them. :)

What I find interesting with the RG, is that they seem to float less and not follow the grooves on the freeway as my previous experience with KO2.

The yakima basket on the HE was noisy as hell and I could hear it the whole time on the highway with stock tires. After removing the rack and installing 275/70r18 AT3s the noise has gone down considerably. Even my wife commented how much quieter the ride was.

The yakima basket on the HE was noisy as hell and I could hear it the whole time on the highway with stock tires. After removing the rack and installing 275/70r18 AT3s the noise has gone down considerably. Even my wife commented how much quieter the ride was.
Yeah, removing the Yakima basket was the first mod I made to my HE. It had to come off to park in the garage at home, but the ~20 minute ride home from the dealer with it on the roof was really noisy (coming from someone who had a non-aerodynamic roof rack on a Land Rover Discovery for years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom