Next Gen Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why would you think they can build a high-quality reliability 200 series in China have you ever seen one driven one I doubt they are as good as the ones made in Japan just like comparing vehicles made in the United States to ones manufactured in Japan JMHO
I've seen them come down the build line in the Changchun Assembly Plant in China. And I've driven them all over China and Mongolia. I would not get hung up on Japan versus US Manufacturing. Every American-made Toyota Camry / Corolla / Tacoma / Tundra / Highlander / Venza / Sienna is every bit as good of quality (fit for purpose), reliability (will it start?), and durability (how long will it run?) as a Land Cruiser. It's all down to the Toyota engineering, supply chain, and manufacturing processes.

Last edited:
I've seen them come down the build line in the Changchun Assembly Plant in China. And I've driven them all over China and Mongolia. I would not get hung up on Japan versus US Manufacturing. Every American-made Toyota Camry / Corolla / Tacoma / Tundra / Highlander / Venza / Sienna is every bit as good of quality (fit for purpose), reliability (will it start?), and durability (how long will it run?) as a Land Cruiser. It's all down to the Toyota engineering, supply chain, and manufacturing processes.
Thanks for sharing 👍

We took choice not chance.

The 2021 silver Land Cruiser with brown leather interior we bought 11 March 2021 was built in December 2020.

We have a LRA 12.5 gallon auxiliary tank coming along with Firestone coil spring airbags (manual operation) Will fit a Tuson DL 200NE trailer brake controller so we can tow our 2015 Airstream 23D International Serenity out on BLM and wilderness roads. We are adding a 3” lift kit as part of new 3,600 pound axles with hydraulic disc brakes to the Airstream for better off road capability.

Which engine will hold up better, the current V8 in our 200 or the possible new TTV6 expected in the 300? How is Toyota on making turbos. I’ve had negative experiences with my previous Bimmers. The previous one I had, the turbo died...under warranty thank God.

Like any new-to-the-market drive line or vehicle there are bound to be issues or bugs to work out but Toyota's past performance suggests they won't put something into their Flagship that isn't well sorted from the get go right? 👊

I harken back to their early NASCAR days...if you recall, as they always have; they did their due diligence, they started in Trucks, they paid the right teams to switch and they smoked everyone. :shifty:

New technology, forced induction in this case, checks all the boxes. Ford, GM and Dodge have been running twin turbo V-6s for some time. Ford's GTs are running against Aston Martin, Covette, Ferrari V8s and V12s the results are out there for all to see. V-6s are lighter, twin screws reduce turbo lag, intercoolers are the bomb (forced cool air is significantly more dense) and let's not forget the old adage; "Racing on Sunday Sells on Monday"... 😏

Oh, and if you can find a way to keep from matting the long skinny pedal, your MPGs will improve too...but who cares about MPGs when you buy a Flagship. :rofl:

Considering the turbo diesel 60, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 200, the turbo has never been a weak spot and usually problem free for 400-500 000km, but definitely an additional point of failure compared to a NA petrol.

Which engine will hold up better, the current V8 in our 200 or the possible new TTV6 expected in the 300? How is Toyota on making turbos. I’ve had negative experiences with my previous Bimmers. The previous one I had, the turbo died...under warranty thank God.
Toyota has been making turbocharged Land Cruiser for decades. Not to mention other performance engines like the 2JZ-GTE which is considered one of the best turbo engines of the 90's.

Ford now boasts the best towing crown with power coming from their twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 engine with 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Maximum towing on the Expedition is 9,300 pounds. By comparison, the LC still makes it's power with a 5.7-liter V8 engine with 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission. Maximum towing on the LC is 8100 pounds. Analysis; The future is a six pot with intercooler twin screws and a reduced weight up front me thinks. :cool:

Ford now boasts the best towing crown with power coming from their twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 engine with 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Maximum towing on the Expedition is 9,300 pounds. By comparison, the LC still makes it's power with a 5.7-liter V8 engine with 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission. Maximum towing on the LC is 8100 pounds. Analysis; The future is a six pot with intercooler twin screws and a reduced weight up front me thinks. :cool:

*Best towing in it's class.
The engine is only one factor in towing capacity of a vehicle. The Expedition also has IRS, we don't want that too do we?

*Best towing in it's class.
The engine is only one factor in towing capacity of a vehicle. The Expedition also has IRS, we don't want that too do we?
I was hoping the Expedition was the closest of the Americans SUV Class to the LC. You are absolutely correct on towing capacity factors. My attempt was to suggest the V8 trains may be leaving the station and the Bigs are already leaning/weaning all of us off the V8 teat.

I was a Ford guy, through and through, but they can't touch the LC/LX in dependability and value. MUD has been a great place to learn from some of the best and brightest. ;)

Cheers mate,
G

I am fond of straight six turbo diesels from Cummins. Peak torque of my 6.7L is at 1,650 rpm which is 65 mph. With the upgraded 54 gallon fuel tank underneath, the range is at least two bladder fulls. (Over 600 miles) with a 9,200 pound 31’ Airstream Classic behind.

These small gasoline V6 twin turbos have to run really hot so long term life is not a good bet. The towing story is displacement to have the castings that will last under load. Thus my LC’s V8 has a chance for longevityn towing a 6,000 pound 23’ Airstream.

Took first mountain drive in our LC today with the wife. Set the speed and it was maintained going both up and down mountain with no change to the quiet cabin. I was really quite impressed.

Hybrids for serious towing are probably beyond my future being aged 76.

Last edited:

The V8 for sure. I don't think the V6tt will be unreliable, but it sure won't hold up for the long run like the under-stressed 5.7. The V8 will run forever, it's not very complex compared to today's stuff. I'm guessing you could abuse and neglect TF out of the 5.7 with no big consequences. Can't say I feel the same for a ttV6.

Depending on how the twin turbos are connected, repairs can shoot out of sight if one is feeding the second one. After the warranty, if the first turbo has a failure, pieces go to second turbo and the wallet vaporizes in your hip pocket.

A tried and true naturally aspirated V8 will almost always outlast a TT V6 in any form, full stop. When the TT V6 starts to have issues, they become catastrophic and very expensive very quickly. Not something you'd want to have happen out in the bush for sure.

I get why Toyota would be doing this but it does seem to contradict the legend of simplicity, durability, and reliability that Toyota has tried to build around the LC. We shall see.

Just a note - the diesel 200 series (1VD-FTV) has been twin turbo V8 for like 13 years now and while it has it's problems, it's very rarely the turbos.
I had to laugh as I wondered if the die hard I6 guys made a stink like this when the V8 was making it's entrance on the scene? As @Moridinbg advised, turbos have come a long way...heat used to be a major problem but today's advances in ceramics have paved the way for increased turbo life under extreme temperatures.

The issue with my 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI V6 3.0L turbo diesel was the gaskets for the oil cooler at the back of the valley. They failed about every 75,000 miles due to extremely high heat. This is a known defect for the 3.0L Mercedes V6 turbo diesel in all applications. Repair cost was in excess of $3,500 to replace gaskets. While there, I replaced all other parts since the engine was torn apart. Third occurrence was manifesting at 205,000 miles so the Mercedes was traded in on a 2020 Platinum Highlander. Lovely vehicle but no way I could massage the suspension for the 23D Airstream, so it was traded for the 2021 Land Cruiser.....

Last edited:
I had to laugh as I wondered if the die hard I6 guys made a stink like this when the V8 was making it's entrance on the scene? As @Moridinbg advised, turbos have come a long way...heat used to be a major problem but today's advances in ceramics have paved the way for increased turbo life under extreme temperatures.
Maybe. But they had reason for making a stink.
The 1HD-FTE made the same power as the 1VD in single turbo form.

As for the 1FZ vs 2UZ, that's apples to oranges.

Right but it’s just physics. The under-stressed 5.7 will outlast whatever turbo motor replaces it. My beater GMC with the simple 5.3, it’s still on original coolant and plugs. Starts up and revs out beautifully. I just don’t see a turbo motor standing up to abuse and neglect like that after 18 years.

This Yukon has been driven into the ground since it was new. The only maintenance that has been done is transmission fluid.

Less complex = less stuff to go wrong

That said I don’t think the Toyota ttV6 will be unreliable at least not for the first 100k or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom