Next: '77 FJ45, sure to test my sanity... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I really screwed the pooch when I rolled the motor over. Doing so dropped out some of the lifters and now I can't determine where they belong in the order.

From my low level of understanding, they become "mated" to their respective lobe on the camshaft and not matching them will cause premature failure of the camshaft and/or lifter. As has been described to me...they will wear together again but this wear "may" get through the hardened surface. Once that happens, the wear escalates, causing need to replace both.

The machine shop got back to me stating the head looks fine, intake valves fine, exhaust valves need replacement. They took delivery of the new valves today and I dropped off the valve guides for installation. They are also sourcing cost on new lifters and getting the cam re-ground to match the profile other's have used to do this build.

They quoted $100 for the regrind, seems fair to me. Don't know about the lifters yet, I'll be checking with Chris at Fred Anderson what he might be able to find.

So, tomorrow I take out the cam, getting deeper and deeper into this thing...

Called Chris @ Fred Anderson, he can get them to me for under $28 each as compared to $35 from SOR.

Looks like I'm going all the way with this project. I had hoped to short cut it and not tear it down all the way but, since I've got it all opened up, it only makes sense to take the extra time to ensure a solid build.

And away I go...

Thats the same thing that happened with my 45. Once i dug into it i found more and more, then just said to heck with it and redid the entire thing.

I did get the cam out and plan to drop it off for the regrind. I'm planning in the "Delta 250" grind, focused on torque and low end HP.

The shop (HRT Performance, no longer T.Hoff), said they should be able to find lifters in the $7-9 range. Let's hope my novice mistake only costs that instead of the $300+ range...

Wouldn't you had to replace the lifters anyway, since you are getting a cam grind?

:beer: R

Wouldn't you had to replace the lifters anyway, since you are getting a cam grind?

:beer: R

It would make the most sense yet others posted it wasn't necessary. At that point, I wasn't convinced I would do the regrind but since that horse has left the barn, yes, it would only make sense to do it.

I guess it was more of a sticker shock than anything...

at least it wont cost another arm and leg. Thats a plus

Thats the same thing that happened with my 45. Once i dug into it i found more and more, then just said to heck with it and redid the entire thing.

What ever in the world would you be talking about??? :D

Good job on the continuing breakdown. Looks like your on track to beat the piggy back on the road. I didnt do the crank or lifters b/c i heard these things were robust :lol:

that and i was going for the budget rebuild. 100 is what I got quoted for the crank grind and machinist found lifters for 15 ea so those sound fair.

Most importantly have fun. I wish I would have "played" a bit during the build of mine; it would have likely found its way to the 45 if I did.

I'm still on the fence about breaking it down any further. I'm on a tight budget also, any "toy" money I had is now being spent @ UNC-CH. The head is supposed to be done today and I planned to send the cam out for the regrind also. For $100 plus the cost of the new lifters, seems good money spent with the head just redone.

Looking at adding rod end bearings, main bearings, rings and all the other associated stuff to break it down further to have the block cleaned/checked/honed wasn't on my budget list. Of course, better to find out now if something is out of spec on the block, I really don't want to do this twice. In as much as I know it makes the most sense to do it, I'm still waffling. I've found nothing that would indicate damage other than the weird damage to the end cap.

But, yes, I'm happy to have a nice place to work on it and air tools. I just wish I could find a cheap oven big enough to powder coat it...

I'm still on the fence about breaking it down any further. I'm on a tight budget also, any "toy" money I had is now being spent @ UNC-CH. The head is supposed to be done today and I planned to send the cam out for the regrind also. For $100 plus the cost of the new lifters, seems good money spent with the head just redone.

Looking at adding rod end bearings, main bearings, rings and all the other associated stuff to break it down further to have the block cleaned/checked/honed wasn't on my budget list. Of course, better to find out now if something is out of spec on the block, I really don't want to do this twice. In as much as I know it makes the most sense to do it, I'm still waffling. I've found nothing that would indicate damage other than the weird damage to the end cap.

But, yes, I'm happy to have a nice place to work on it and air tools. I just wish I could find a cheap oven big enough to powder coat it...

EXACTLY!! The motor is out and sitting on a stand, you know how much work it took to get it there. If all is good you can get your crank cleaned and checked , pistons checked and throw in bearings and rings and a hone on the cylinders and you'll be golden.

How many times have you read a build thread and a month after the guy puts the rig on the trail or the road he has to take the motor back out because something he did not do came back and bit him on the azz.

Take a break from the motor, go grind on the frame a while, that'll make working on the motor a breeze. :cheers:

If you look at the beginning of my 45 build you would see that i was not going to go all the way into it because "it had just been gone thru". I said in the least let me go ahead and reseal it and new gaskets. Did that and found out it was really clean but had alot of bad stuff inside, like the bearings and stuff. It was not really in the budget at the time but got worked into it.

Due to the overwhelming endorsement, encouraging me to have some common sense, I did complete the tear down, dropping the block, cam and crankshaft off for cleaning and inspection. I also picked up the head after the work they did on it.

Here are the pics of the newly over-hauled head. They replaced the exhaust valves, cleaned, pressure tested, shaved 0.030 and did a "valve job" on it - $316 after tax...
2f-pistonsetc-07.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-09.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-13.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-17.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-23.jpg

Now for the good stuff. I'm afraid I'll find out it needs to be bored out after looking at some of the pistons. Way to much scoring on piston 1, 4, 5 and 6.
2f-pistonsetc-25.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-25.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-55.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-60.jpg

2f-pistonsetc-62.jpg

Thanks for slapping me into reality. I haven't heard back from the shop yet, I'm hoping it all got got before it needs a re-bore, he was optimistic with the eye-ball inspection. Yet, by the looks of the pistons, I'm betting I'll be sourcing some over-sized pistons and rings in the future.

Lastly, they were unable to find lifters. Looks like I'm either going with the factory units from Chris @ Fred Anderson or buying the "cheap" ones from Cool Cruisers ($162 for the set). I've also sent an email to Cdan to see what they can come up with on availability and pricing...

Well Brother. Hate to say it, but you will be happier in the end for doing this. I was in the end, but it was alot more than i had set aside for my build.

It's the parts finding that sucks. Once I find out if it needs a bore, he advised me to make sure what oversize pistons are available before he does the boring. He felt the crank would only need polishing but won't know until he mic's it.

Regardless, it will be nice to have a fresh motor for sure...

I always have my machine shop down here find mine for me. Never had a problem at all.

Always have them bore least as possible. But you should already know that. Leaves room for another later on.

Lets hope I'm not doing this again with this motor at least.

Seems like there are plenty of +20 piston/ring sets out there. Just need to get the word from the machinist to see what I'm in for...

I'd say these engines are good for 300,000. Thats if they are keep care of though.

I got just around 200,000 on my 60 and when i had the head off it was just fine. Pics are on here somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom