Newish 5 speed leaking bad - edit: TCase leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I got a brand new 5 speed transmission in 2015. It has around 7,000 miles on it and is leaking like crazy. I hate the idea of pulling it, and anyway, then what do I do? Need emotional support here or anyone that has had something similar happen, what did you do?

So, I got a brand new 5 speed transmission in 2015. It has around 7,000 miles on it and is leaking like crazy. I hate the idea of pulling it, and anyway, then what do I do? Need emotional support here or anyone that has had something similar happen, what did you do?

...where is it leaking?

@orangefj45 seals up the 5th gear housing with rtv when assembling.

I’ll get a better look in the morning to see where it’s leaking from. There’s a good sized puddle.

If it is the output shaft seal should be an easy fix? dont know if new is 20 years old, or rebuild with new parts, maybe an additive to make rubber seals soft again works?
Checking if it is leaking internally might also be needed, as it has two fill plugs, one might be full and other empty (oil moving past seal internally)

It can only "leak like crazy" from a couple spots. A primary suspect is the gasket & sealing surface of the 5th gear extension housing. Make sure those bolts are tight. The transmission itself is a "tub" and can't leak oil when standing still. The input shaft seal at the front can leak while driving if the transmission is overfilling because of oil migration from the transfer case. But with only 7000 miles on it, none of the seals or gaskets should leak.

Maybe a gasket got misaligned during assembly and isn't sitting correctly

Brand new from Toyota, or "brand new" rebuild? If rebuild, do you know who did it?

Is it leaking from the bell housing? One guy on the facebook thought it was his transmission, but was his rear main seal instead.

Okay I crawled under today and it’s actually leaking from the front output shaft of the transfer case. When I peeled back the rubber accordion boot gear oil poured out. Well, I need to pull off the transfer case from my Jeep (yes I said it again!) and now the cruiser. I’ll soon become very comfortable with the transfer case rebuilds since I’ll being doing both. I rebuilt once before when I got the new tranny so I’m not sure what’s wrong, it was really easy to rebuild, but it started grinding last winter when I put it in 4wd so I stopped using it. Maybe the two issues are related. I’ll post up what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom