Newbie to Winches - Recommendation please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been reading this forum trying to figure out what a good first winch would be.

I have a 200 series land cruiser, and just picked up a used Trail Tailor hidden winch mount (the seller upgraded to a full bulbar bumper). It is made for a ComeUp 12.5rs, but should work with others (max size 24"w x 8.1"h x 6.3" d).

I'm skeptical that the ultra-cheap will be reliable, but also don't want to pay a fortune for the super high end. I'd like something that is reliable, but middle of the road cost wise. I don't expect to use it much, but like any tool, need it to work when I do.

What do people recommend?

I'm skeptical that the ultra-cheap will be reliable

Me too, though some folks swear by them. :meh:

... but also don't want to pay a fortune for the super high end. I'd like something that is reliable, but middle of the road cost wise. I don't expect to use it much, but like any tool, need it to work when I do.

What do people recommend?

A good winch (especially a big one for a truck as heavy as a 200-series) isn't going to be cheap. I would put Warn in the category of reliable but not on the super high end price-wise (Warn is what I have on both of my current trucks). If you are handy at all and want to save some money, you could buy a used Warn and clean and re-grease it yourself. My favorite winch is a 42-year-old Warn that I paid a few hundred dollars for and rebuilt myself.

The other thing is, if you're not going to use it a lot, then you could probably get by with a smaller (less expensive) winch and a snatch block or two. The Warn 9.5XP for example. A 12.5K winch would be a powerhouse, but expensive and heavy.

Buy once, cry once.

one day when your really going to need it you want it to work. Another Vote for Warn 👍

they have the years of experience and there warranty/customer support when you got problems is awesome!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It is very helpful.

I've been looking for a used winch (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay), but everything I find is much lower capacity, or beat to hell.

I don't think I can justify the cost of the nicer Warn Zeon, is their lower end stuff any good? I see they have a VR EVO line, which looks like it is made in China, but has a standard Warn warranty. Are they any better than the Harbor Fright or Ironman type winches?

Last edited:
I don't think I can justify the cost of the nicer Warn Zeon, is their lower end stuff any good? I see they have a VR EVO line, which looks like it is made in China, but has a standard Warn warranty. Are they any better than the Harbor Fright or Ironman type winches?

Sorry, can't help you there; I've never even seen one of their budget-line winches.

I would bank on the lower end Warn before I would anything from Harbor Freight. Look into the ComeUp winches, seem to have a decent following, Trail Tailor reps them. Didn’t you mention your bumper is made for a ComeUp?

@Skniper yes, it is a Trail Tailor hidden winch mount that I got used from another mud member, and is made for the ComeUp 12.5. They're pricy though, and I wonder if I can get something decent for less money.

Can't really help with brand recommendations - there's a Ramsey REP 9.5 on my K5 Blazer, a Harbor Freight 12k on the '93 80, a used Warn M8000 on the LX450, and a used Warn 8274 on the FJ40. The Ramsey is the oldest and has seen the most use over the last dozen years; the HF has one pull in ~6 years of ownership (pulled someone else out the drink, bottom of the drum, line all the way out, worked just fine), and the others haven't seen action while in our possession. But the one thing I'd say is to go with synthetic line, and not bother with steel cable - I certainly won't go back to cable. Synthetic line is much easier to handle, not nearly as heavy, generally thought to be safer in operation. I've got most of my lines from Southeast Overland; the latest addition is 90 feet of extension acquired from Amazon. On that one I re-did the splices for the loops at each end, and it has done its job.

For your truck size, anything in the #9500 range would be ideal. The Warn 9500 XPS would be
my first choice. Trail Taylor has the Come Up, obviously a quality winch as well. I’d shy away from used
only that you don’t want to ‘save’ money on a fundamentally obsolete 4 solenoid control box.
Recommend new. #1 concern, make sure you clean and set all the ground connections and coat
with some kind of dialectic or protective product. They sit up front forgotten, and when you hit that
control switch, huge amps and huge heat happen. But a bad ground won’t make it through if it’s corroded
and you’ll curse and blame the winch. It won’t be the winches fault. Maintain it like anything else.

I also suggest a quality canvas bag with snatch block, a pair of shackles to connect. Get a good
tree saver/wrap strap at least 10’ long. Get a 30’ snatch strap or recovery rope too. Keep all this stuff in the truck all the time. Small recovery shovel to dig under to access attachment points or clear things binding up to the bottom of your truck.

I guess what I’m saying is, there’s more to buying a winch, than buying a winch.

Thanks! I have a recovery shovel, axe, steel shackles, rated anchor points at front and rear, snatch straps, tree straps. soft shackles, etc. I also have recovery boards and bog outs, which have been my savior before having a winch. I'm just looking to take the next step. I plan to also get snatch blocks too. I'll make sure the connections are solid and well maintained.

Last edited:
Unless you are loaded up on your 200 a ComeUp 9.5s or 9.5rs is where I'd point you.

Excellent warranty, service and reputation. Other than a shipping damage claim, never had a issue in the years I've sold them.

Still to this day I use a 1.5 : 1 weight ratio on my rigs and never had an issue. @cruiserpilot is on the money with weight and I shy away from used winches unless I know who the owner was and how they treat equipment. Seen too many that are trashed out due to improper and uneducated usage.

As always ComeUp winches from Trail Tailor are FREE SHIPPING.

Jason

I just purchased a hidden winch mount from @TRAIL TAILOR myself and will be installing a Warn 9.5XPS. I have the same winch mounted on my 100-Series and have never had an issue. I had a M12000 on my 80 Series and it was a bit of overkill. I've found the 9.5XPS to be a good mix of weight, line speed, and reliability. I have no experience with ComeUp winches, thus no commentary on them. If you want high-end go Red Winches - they are hydraulic and fast.

I will be installing my winch this week - well, depends on when the mount gets here. Looking forward to some 1st hand experience with Jason's product. We will put it to the test and when Expo events start back up - we will be using the LX as a class vehicle.

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom