newbie engine tech question for fj60?(89) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been wanting a landcruiser(fj40)since I was young. I finally got one but its a fj60(3f-e) the engine is blown, I pulled the pan to see how the bearings were from the chocolate milk i drained from the engine. All the connrod berngs are good but I need the rod torque specs to tighten em up again.

gonna pull the head soon but i would also need the torque specs for the head and any tips(besides get a book)before I pull the head off. thanks for your help.

[quote author=cruiserka link=board=1;threadid=7290;start=msg60799#msg60799 date=1068382426]
....fj60(3f-e) ....
[/quote]

dont know the answer BUT you FJ60 is a FJ62 being an 89 and a 3fe just a FYI it'll help ya find parts if you have the right modle.... p.s. did you get a haynes or chiltons book yet i bet its in there

I didnt know that my lc is a fj62, it has the same body style as the 85-88, just with 4square headlights. I didnt get a manual yet, I was kinda hoping that someone would help me out and give me some specs. kinda short on cash and I really want to get the truck on the road. thanks for your help.

The square headlights, along with the 3FE, indicate that it's a FJ62. Cylinder head bolts are supposed to be torqued at 90ft-lbs. My Haynes manual recommends having a machinist check out the bolts for wear. If it were me, I'd consider new ones if readily available. There's 14 of them. Head gasket goes on dry, no goop. Designation "TOP" on new head gasket faces up. There is a tightening sequence to the bolts that is recommended to be done in several steps. Basically, you start in the middle and go to the opposite side back and forth working your way to either end of the head. Good luck.

fj62, 1988-1990(all 90's are 89's) 4 headlights, FI motor(3FE), auto trany(A440F) vacumm shift front axle,Different dash, most(like 90+%) have PW,PL,PM. Non have stock cruiser contoll. Last of the Cruisers with a hand throttle(actaully the HT stoped in the early 70s and was brought back for the 62 for some reason, no 60's has a HT stock, but easy to add) Gear ratio is 4.10 fj60 was 3.70, rear axle(maybe front?) has extra gussets compared to a fj60. Rear sway bar on 62(will bolt right on to a fj60) 62's had rear seat headrest, latter(89/90) had 3 point seatbelts in rear) 62's had stock rear speakers. 62 rear heater under center console(60 under seat) Rear springs had 1 more leaf than a 60. No headlight washers like most 60's. Prolly a other stuff I'm not thinking of.

While you have the head off, tap and plug the oil plug on head(above the dizzy) they have a tendence to blow out.....if not cought right away there goes the motor :(
http://www.yankeetoys.org/cruiserfj60/images/Lost oilplug/

John H
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/weephole.html

Welcome to the FJ62 club! :cheers:

By FAR the best Cruiser model to have. Best engine, best tranny, best combination of creature comfort and wheeling ability. :D

Connecting rod cap torque is 43 ft lb

Main bearing cap torque is:
99 ft lb for the 19mm bolt heads
85 ft lb for the 17mm bolt heads

While you have the intake off you should clean it out - it likely has an 1/8" or so of sludge coating its insides. Especially clean out the throttle body really well.

Also take off the side plate (push rod cover) - it gives you access to the lifters and a sludge collection cavity that you can clean out. Push rod cover bolt torque is 35 in-lbs.

I strongly concur with Landpimp about the oil galley plug - pin that thing in because they blow spontaneously. Haven't gotten to mine yet and it worries me all the time.

You NEED to get a Factory Service Manual - it's well worth the money. The Haynes manual is OK, but the FSM is the bible.

PM me if you need more specs - I'll keep my FSM handy!

Also, join the 3FE list on Yahoo - an excellent resource for us 3FE owners and a great bunch of friends: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/ - make sure to go to the files section and read the welcome message.

Another 60-series web site with some good tech info: http://www.slowspeed.com

62's rule dude!
rock.gif

thanks for the help guys and girls?, just the info i needed. any other tips? where can I get the fsm?
Im getting another rustbucket fj60(83) or somewhere around there and I was wonderin if the motor and drivetrain is a direct bolton just in case something hapens with the a/t or the 3fe. I would think that its direct bolt on but just wanted to get your opinion. thanks

Pretty much bolt-on except for the electronics - the 3FE has a bunch, the '83 with a 2F not as much and it's all different. Trannies are different as well (4-speed manual trans in the '83), so you'd have to deal with the clutch and clutch pedal. All bolt holes are there in the frame and body for the different stuff, though.

FSM is available from the dealer, Toyota Publications (I can't find the web site just now), or often cheaper on eBay. The '89 and '90 manuals are complete in one volume. The earlier manuals are broken down into multiple volumes.

Definitely look in the tech sections here at IH8MUD and on slowspeed.com, and in the files section on the yahoo 3FE site look at the "lessons learned" folder for lots of tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom