Newbie 80 Intro & Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have been in lurk mode since last fall.

4-5 years ago I purchased an ex-husband's FJ40 from a divorced widow for $300 (it's a long story). And for the last 3-4 years I have been bulding the FJ40 and looking for an FJ80.

Well the FJ40 is about "finished" and this last fall I finally found my 80 series. A 1995 with Leather, elocker, 95k on the OD, and owned by a retired fireman. Due to a lifetime of training he kept his vehicles spotless inside & out, and under the hood. (there is even a bill from his mechanic to "waterproof the ignition" cause he kept washing the engine compartment so much !!!).

The weather here in AK is finally starting to warm up a bit so I can get started on the mod's I have been planning. The ARB went on the front today, parts for the snorkel & 7 pin mod are here but will have to wait until after my taxes are filed, the JD bulbs are on order, and Georges' LED's are on the way (just in time for 24hrs of day light !!).

Still trying to arrange a business trip through Denver to pick up a lift kit from Slee to take back as checked baggage !!

I have been in lurk mode for so long, please be patient for the stream of questions over the next few weeks. To be honest I have not been to successful in my queries of the archives. I seemed to be better at pulling info from LMCL's archives than MUD's, but I am sure I will get the hang of it over time.

Enough blather, my real reason for posting, today's question:
Shortly after I got the 80, a wind storm blew something ino the antenna and bent it. The PO had a FSM but the FSM just says "See antenna R & R", but I cannot find "antenna R&R" anywhere in it. Can anybody tell me how to replace just the antenna? Do I need to unbolt the motor & everything inside the wheel well, or is there a "topside" approach?

Any help would be appreciated, (pic's are best !!). Thanks in advance for helping me build my second "classic".

Happy Easter Everybody

Last edited:
Welcome.

Since you have a 95, it's a FZJ80 designating the newer engine.

Pics!

Welcome :flipoff2: , pics?

Welcome to your new addiction The Mud Forum.
Oh and some pics would be nice!
:beer:

Post pic's ? Must mean the FJ40, the '80 is still pretty plain jane.

Remember, still a Newbie and not at all technical enough to post pic's.

let' see how this goes & hope the moderator will allow the FJ40 in the furom !

the first pic is the $300 dollar beauty. the PO divorced his wife & years later died, without taking her off the title. He was gone & she thought it was junk. The Tub was rusted beyond repair, but it had been parked for about 6 years and the drive train is one of the strongest stock 2F drive trains I have seen.
40e (Small).jpg
FJ40a (Small).jpg

Hey, did you ever think about lifting that 40? :flipoff2:

Welcome

To be honest I have not been to successful in my queries of the archives. I seemed to be better at pulling info from LMCL's archives than MUD's, but I am sure I will get the hang of it over time.

Any time that someone has said they have attempted to search and have come up empty, people will jump in line to help with the query string. Basically, you'll want to select the proper keywords that someone would use in writing the article, which isn't necessarily the same as how you would describe the repair.

For example, if you enter "Fix Antenna" as keywords, do an advanced search you will get ~150 responses and they will be all over the map including GPS antenna posts. Adding the keyword "mast" and changing "fix" to "repair" (Antenna mast repair), select "posts" instead of "threads", and restrict the search to just the 80-section brings that number down to ~20.

In looking at those 20 results they appear to be exactly what you would want regarding how to fix your broken antenna.

If you are still having a problem, ask and we can usually give you an author which will almost certainly get you exactly the threads that we intended for you to research.

Good Luck and welcome to non-lurking status!

-B-

Aktundra? Is this my fellow rafter Steve?

Give me a hollar or drop an email if you need help, I bought mine with a broken antenna too.. IIRC it helps to have extra long skinny arms around to help with that repair...

:cheers: welcome to the mud madhouse..

Hey Joe !!!!

Yup, it's me

I guess I am going to have to behave myself on the forum, now that someone can come over to my house & kick my a#$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom