New Windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
It had probably been leaking for some time but with living in Arizona and covered parking, it never really presented itself. lately however, it was very apperent - soaking wet carpet in either the driver's side foot well or the passenger side, depending on the lean of the truck. I read up on all the other posts and ordered the new gasket.

windshield gasket 1.jpg

windshield gasket 2.jpg

I did some research on glass shops in the area to find some place with good reviews. wanted to stay with a smaller local place because i figured they would be more apt to listen to the FSM instructions etc. Unfortunately, none could get replacement glass or if they could, it would have to be ordered and shipped in which made the cost crazy high. The only other place was safelite. i've used them in the past with good luck and really didn't have any other choices. The day before i pulled all the pieces to get it ready and printed out the instructions. Could not believe the old gasket! Never seen such a cob job window install - can't believe it didn't leak earlier

windshield gasket before 1.jpg

windshield gasket before 2.jpg

windshield gasket before 3.jpg

when i went in to the glass shop i was ready for a fight with a know-it-all manager etc but they were all super. very appreciative that i brought in the instructions and willing to listen. they knew these were tricky to install so they had their best guy on the job with a few others to help and learn. came out beautiful - very happy with the results! In the end, should've had it done in Arizona because i had glass coverage with my insurance - none in Tennessee so final tally was $320 for the windshield and $54 for the gasket

windshield after.jpg

Consider yourself lucky. My last OEM windshield replacement cost me $750.

$0 comp deductible from State Farm paid it's worth a few years back when my LX needed a new windshield to pass inspection. 17 years of grit had pitted the glass enough to make oncoming headlights turn into a massive glare.

Anyone with a factory bronze glass package should either buy really solid insurance or start a broken glass fund. The bronze windows are pricey!!

i called everywhere - nobody could get a bronze tint, for any money

i called everywhere - nobody could get a bronze tint, for any money
I just went with whatever my glass place could get. I paid about what you did.

Cliff notes: For anyone who has an aftermarket windshield, I'd get it replaced with factory goods by a reputable/capable installer (esp if you live outside of Socal-like climates).

I wasn't as lucky or maybe I was.

I'm not the first owner of my 80. It came with an aftermarket windshield made by Fuyao. What prompted me to go and research windshield replacements was soaked carpeting on both driver and passenger sides. I live in LA, but a recent holiday trip to rainy Seattle revealed the problem.

Thanks to @midfat's recommendation, I took a new OEM windshield and gasket to Alfredo's Auto Glass Repair in Corona, CA. We discovered a few things:

-Rust spots along the frame
-OEM gasket was used
-FSM procedure was not followed, thus leaks
-The latest green OEM windshield is made by the reputable AGC Automotive USA, but had a big sticker that said Made in Japan

I was lucky in that Alfredo was able to easily remove the rust spots by lightly grinding down to bare metal. He prepped them correctly. The last operator clearly did not and likely cut into the paint causing rust over time because they used a knife instead of a plastic contraption (more work for them) and neglectfully and with integrity failed to treat them appropriately. Furthermore, the idiot didn't even follow proper procedures. I asked Alfredo why Toyota would make this thing such a pain in the arse to replace and he said Toyota probably chose this design so one can safely kick open the windshield in the event of a roll-over. Ok, then. There had to be an intelligent reason!

Unlucky that I inherited someone else's sht work. Lucky in that I discovered the rust well before it spread. Thankfully, I live in Sunny Socal so I likely would've never noticed it, but glad I found out.

Alfredo's wall of achievements

file-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I gotta do this too, windshield and rear hatch leaking @beno

Mine isn't leaking that I know of, but I did find some rust underneath the seal when I was doing a bunch of other stuff this fall.

I would like to get the one I have out and just use a new gasket after I prep the area under it, which might include a smidge of welding in new steel as I noted at least one hole after I slathered POR15 in there as a stop gap.

Would it be possible to save a windshield that has had a couple of repairs done by Safelite?

I am not sure what the best plan is, but I know i want to get into the rusty area before it starts to spread further and becomes a bigger problem.

Any thoughts?

I am fairly certain the bronze windshields are gone in the US. I was told I received the last 2 in the US back in 2014/2015. They were close to $1100 retail at the time.
Scotty any idea how you can tell if still have original Windshield?

Mine isn't leaking that I know of, but I did find some rust underneath the seal when I was doing a bunch of other stuff this fall.

I would like to get the one I have out and just use a new gasket after I prep the area under it, which might include a smidge of welding in new steel as I noted at least one hole after I slathered POR15 in there as a stop gap.

Would it be possible to save a windshield that has had a couple of repairs done by Safelite?

I am not sure what the best plan is, but I know i want to get into the rusty area before it starts to spread further and becomes a bigger problem.

Any thoughts?

Yo RM, I see no reason to get rid of the windshield you have already unless you have a boner for OEM parts like I do. It always bothered me that I had China made glass, but nothing was functionally wrong with it. It was leaking because the idiot that installed it didn't do the job right.

I was pretty happy with the OEM windshield gasket being ~$65 when the front window rubber runners are $84 each. Totally cheap for something that should last a long time. My installer said the aftermarket gaskets usually glue the corner sections together whereas the OEM gasket is all one piece. I'm sure there are other material differences as well.

Yo RM, I see no reason to get rid of the windshield you have already unless you have a boner for OEM parts like I do. It always bothered me that I had China made glass, but nothing was functionally wrong with it. It was leaking because the idiot that installed it didn't do the job right.

I was pretty happy with the OEM windshield gasket being ~$65 when the front window rubber runners are $84 each. Totally cheap for something that should last a long time. My installer said the aftermarket gaskets usually glue the corner sections together whereas the OEM gasket is all one piece. I'm sure there are other material differences as well.

I don't really care at this point where my glass came from. If it was replaced, it was done so a long time ago. I did have a few chips repaired with Safelight and I really wondering if it is possible to remove and then replace a piece of otherwise good glass or if I should budget for a replacement unit.

I think I will give them a call...

Thanks for the feedback!

My windshield is totally pitted and needs to be replaced. I do not want to spend a fortune if I don't have to. I'm going to buy an OEM gasket but don't care if the windshield itself is OEM if the quality is decent. I've read that some have had decent luck with Safelite. Any suggestions / lessons learned would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom