New to the cb world help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I am new to CBs and all things related. I just installed a new Cobra. 75 wx st. I am using a 5 foot firestick with the adjustable tip for tuning and a firestick low profile coax cable. All seemed to go well, power up, hooked up to an swr meter and adjusted to channel 1 and 40. Got both to under 1.5, the weather band works fine, but I am not receiving or transmitting. Even when on a traveled interstate. The squelch will adjust as it should but I just don't seem to be getting out. The power output on the radio itself will indicate levels of transmission and reception. It is wired direct to the battery. Any help is much welcomed.

IF there is an RF and Mic gain control, turn it up. Chances are nobody is hearing you transmit or wanting to reply. Welcome to CB.

Thank you, but no RAF or Gain Control.

Have you tried it with someone else you know with a cb around? Not unusual around here for the airwaves to be completely dead.

I will give it a shot.

It seems pretty likely that there just isn't anybody out there. If you were able to adjust the SWR, your radio is transmitting and if you can turn the squelch down and can hear static, your receive is most likely working. It is "possible" that your mic is not working--unfortunately that radio has the mic integrated so there is no way to swap it out to verify function. Definitely find someone else with a CB to test it with.

Thank you all, I will keep trying.

I agree on checking the mic squelch. Since you have good SWR, and you receive on weather band, I agree, maybe nobody is around? Find someone in a local 4X club (any club, even Jeep!!) who you can check with. Or go for a drive on the interstate using channel 19 - the common trucker channel.

Thanks I will keep trying

Antenna is connected. I am going to try a new ground placement and try the SWR meter again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom