New to NorCal 40th build...need advice/help in the Sacramento area! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking on here for a few months, and finally found a rig. I grabbed a 1997 40th Anniversary (no lockers) from some Pakistani wholesalers for less than $5k and now I'm ready to spend more than the purchase price (x2, probably) on modifications. I've tried to read as much as possible on the series 80 tech pages, but after a hundred pages (only 900 more to go) I seem to be no closer to a consensus. I'm hoping the resident experts will take a look at what I want to do and tell me the best ways to do so. (Local experts around Sacramento may be forced to accept alcohol or cigars as a sign of my appreciation.)

I'm hoping to modify this rig to run local trails with camping gear for four people, but don't know what I'll need. I'm from Alaska and no rock crawler...but now I live near the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc. so I need to adapt. I'm used to bigger and wider tires for floatation on deep snow or mud (and sand when I was in Florida) and hunting in rice fields around here I will still be facing deep mud at times.

My local buddies say articulation is everything for rocks, not necessarily just larger rubber. I believe them, so is there a tried-and-true setup for this rig that matches my needs? I don't want anything smaller than a 35" inch tire, and 37 or 38 would be cooler...but probably unnecessary. I don't want to hack up a 40th model too much, call it a "tasteful build."

Now that I'm almost 40, I'm more cautious when wheeling, especially with my kids, so I'd rather pay more for a lift that is proven and keeps the steering safe. Slee keeps coming up in conversations, but I'm not sure which kit. I am still open to other manufacturers...but "new and exciting" is not what I'm looking for. I weld, but I don't trust my welds on anything in a suspension. Bumpers, roll cages, yes, but not panhard bars or shock mounts, etc. So lift kits should be bolt-on, if possible.

Reliability is my other requirement...after being broken down on a deserted beach for 3 days on one occasion and almost freezing to death in Alaska on another have made me more conservative. I'd love a dual battery/solar setup and have read a few articles on Blue Sea.

The honest use of this rig will be 60% pavement, 20% hunting and 20% camping/running trails. I know it is never going to be a great rock crawler, and I don't mind winching or using bypasses if needed...I just want to get my kids out there to enjoy the outdoors!

I have an old Warn XD9000i but I don't know if that is enough for a rig this heavy (planning bumpers/swingouts and sliders)? Perhaps put that in the rear and a new 12k Warn up front?

Since this rig didn't have e-lockers (at that price, I didn't care) I knew that ARB's were on the list...I hear they are stronger, anyway. It seems that 4.88 is appropriate while I'm in the differentials?

Finally, I'm going to need some techno-nerd help on electronics. They didn't have LED lighting and iPod adapters when I was wheeling. So, if there is a nice big radio replacement that fits in an 80 that will play blu-ray to monitors in the back for my kids...please let me know.

I THINK I've covered everything...sorry it is so long. I'm planning on traction first (lift kit, arb lockers, ring and pinions to 4.88 and new tires), followed by armor (sliders, front/rear bumpers, swing-outs) and then supplies/recovery (winches front/rear and jerry cans/rotopax for fuel) and whatever I've not thought of as I go along.

Your help in this is greatly appreciated, I just don't want to repeat any work if possible, i.e. do the ring and pinion/arb's when axles are off for the lift, etc. I'm happy to post pictures as this progresses, I'm hoping it will be an entertaining build to follow. Here are the original photos as I bought her. The front damage multiplier was removed on day one and is available in the Sacramento area for whatever they go for.

Sincerely,

Chad Jones

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Welcome! Check out the build thread in my signature line. I think we have similar goals in mind. And I'm from the Sacramento area as well. My build will be on hold for a while though, just blew the head gasket a few days ago :(

If I go with 5.29 gears, shouldn't I do the t-case upgrade for lower gearing as well? However, I do want this thing to drive at highway speeds and not get 4 gallons per mile while doing it! I'm not really worried about fuel economy, but does anyone have this setup that can cruise (comfortably!) at 65-75?

If I go with 5.29 gears, shouldn't I do the t-case upgrade for lower gearing as well? However, I do want this thing to drive at highway speeds and not get 4 gallons per mile while doing it! I'm not really worried about fuel economy, but does anyone have this setup that can cruise (comfortably!) at 65-75?

No need to do the T-case gears with 5.29s and I get 11+mpg in mine. Here are some pics of my rig on 37s. First pic is on OME J's and 37" Toyo MTs (Expo/Rock Crawler), Second pic added the liner and 1" Body Lift, third pic is how she sits now (post flop)

I think the first pic is what you are looking for, got my wife and 3 kids and I out wherever we wanted to go.

232323232fp53998_nu=335__95;_777_WSNRCG=36954;38_;337nu0mrj.jpg

liner1.jpg

002.jpg

Quantify "need" please. Haha.

TCase gears, 5.29s, and 37s work well, very well.

Trust me, I "want" them but don't "need" them and can wheel the piss out of the rig without them. They are on the long list of wants along with coil overs, high steer, etc...

Welcome man:flipoff2:

Nice to have another Nor-Cal resident on here. I will "probably" not be going to 37"s and gears, but have the rest as a similar end point. Sounds like you have way more experience off road than I do. I have only two very small trips under my belt.

Like jcardona1, I have my build thread in my sig line for any info or ideas. I've tried to take pics of every step I have made. Hope I can help in anyway and maybe get some ideas from you as well.

Congrats on the best LC out there!:grinpimp:

Oh, and the first thing you need to do, is de-flare that truck right away. I will help you get rid of them ASAP!!!:poof:

Thanks, guys. I'm waiting until the wife goes to visit her parents to upgrade...and then it is going to be lift, arb lockers and new gears while she is gone. Do any of you know where to get new plastic gears for the power seats? I took apart my passenger seat this morning...wasn't working...and the gear is just worn down. Thanks.

seat gears

Lots of threads on replacing the seat gears. Replacement parts can be bought Gamiviti.com or PM nakman

Jeez, I'm eventually going to learn to search here before I spend half an hour disassembling the seat (with no idea what I'm doing) to finally figure out what the problem is. Can you believe it is stripped plastic gears?! Amazing...I'm sure you're all shocked. I placed my order 20 minutes ago with that parmesan nakman Italian guy. I've gotta say this forum is unbelievable. I've never been part of a group that shares information like this so freely, and it just makes owning my girl "Kusaka" even more enjoyable. Now I've got to rearrange the garage so I can be ready for the lift, arb lockers and 5.29 change as soon as the wife leaves to visit her parents. Hard to believe I'll be 40 this summer (and just got a 40th Anniversary LC) and I still have to sneak around so she doesn't freak out when I make a mess!

What lift did you decide on?

Since you are going with 5.29's, I guess you are going with 37's. California80 did a thread recently about fitting 37's that you may want to read up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom