New to me trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the new proud owner of this

M716 into a Camp Trailer

Very excited to get my hands on it and meet the builder. I do have some time to plan as I won't be able to go get it for a month or so.

My question to the community is this. The trailer has the original pintle hook. I had been looking for something with a max coupler or the like. If you were buying this rig would you immediately try to swap it out? Or live with the rig as is for a while?

The seller has very kindly offered to help me switch it out if needed when I go to pick it up.

I have done a bunch of reading on the advantages/disadvantages of both. Of course real world experience would be a lot more useful than some internet research. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

The loop and pintle hitch system works reliably, especially off-road. Depending on how well matched to each other, there will be noise, mainly when coming to a stop, but it's less intrusive than you'd think and easy enough to get used to. No need to rush into another coupler system, what it has works and works well. You may find you're OK with the existing set-up and save yourself some dollars to spend on something else.

Have a M416 and M101A1. But still have the lunnet and use the pintle hook. Never notice a real noise on the road. Off-road they tend to make noise. What takes get use to is backing up. Short tongue need to be sure you don't tag your tow vehicle's rear corners. Will also lock once it hits a certain angle and turning the steering wheel will not straighten it out. You have to pull forward. Had mine for a while and even with the longer wheel base FJ62 gotten pretty good at backing the M101A1 in between pines trees on our property. Almost the only thing it's used for is hauling pines needles, oak leaves, branches and trees off to the forest service slash pit. Get a lot of practice backing which is what it takes is practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom