new to 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long-time IH8MUD guy, who has spent the majority of time in the truck section.
A friend let me borrow his 80' series for a few days and I loved it. The problem is since I gave it back, I can't stop thinking about it. Now I am searching High and Low for a clean one.
I have been spending a lot of time on here reading up on what to look for and preventive maintenance.
I do like to hear owners' opinions and some knowledge on these trucks.
If anyone knows of a clean one that will not break the bank please feel free to let me know.

If anyone knows of a clean one that will not break the bank please feel free to let me know.
Ehh, need to pick one of those. Clean or inexpensive.
That said, Craigs shows a few here in Denver/Springs @ sub $10k.
Can't speak for their condition beyond the pics tho.

edit:Oh and welcome to the slippery'er slope.

@jgallo1 just run away now. The rig you get will haunt you in your dreams. You WILL wake up at nights after nightmares about torque specs to the front end and …..

Screw that, get one!!!! Come on in brother, the waters fine. Glad you caught the passion, hope it rewards you.

A friend let me borrow his 80' series for a few days and I loved it. The problem is since I gave it back, I can't stop thinking about it. Now I am searching High and Low for a clean one.
I have been spending a lot of time on here reading up on what to look for and preventive maintenance.

I have a buddy that was talking about selling one of his rigs. I think it's a green 94 with the factory lockers.

If your interested send me a pm.

Thanks for all the support haha.
I know they have issues, and will need love. I daily drove an Fj 60 for a few yrs, then a 62. For a while, I was daily driving a 1987 pick up. I have an idea of what is about to happen. You can say "we warned you" when I complain about it in future posts

A few yrs back I bought a 100 series. It was really nice, after driving a 60 series, I just felt the 100 series was missing something. I went back to a 62. After a week in the 80, I had that old LandCruiser feeling again and I was even comfortable driving, the a/c was cold, I could hear the radio etc.. I am thinking the 80 is the perfect combination.

@jgallo1 I must tell you that I currently prefer my 100 series. I say that because a lot of my driving for previous work included a few hours in the rig several times a week. Life slowed down in May and now my drive is a few miles-three times a Week. Wouldn’t mind getting back into the 80 for awhile. We will harass and belittle you with the best of them but it’s all in good fun. LC’s are a great platform and there are many different variants world wide. Me, I want a 79 series after visiting the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.

I am really lucky b/c for work I am project-based, so a few days a month I have alot of miles to cover but then the rest I am home. I am Rangeland Manager or a Grazing manager.
I have an F250, I drove mostly for that stuff. I am beating the F250 pretty bad on the ranch roads. In the winter, sometimes the F250 is way too big, for the roads. The 80 would love to come to work with me ha ha.

I am really lucky b/c for work I am project-based, so a few days a month I have alot of miles to cover but then the rest I am home. I am Rangeland Manager or a Grazing manager.
I have an F250, I drove mostly for that stuff. I am beating the F250 pretty bad on the ranch roads. In the winter, sometimes the F250 is way too big, for the roads. The 80 would love to come to work with me ha ha.
Sounds like a sweet day job. 👍 Would hate to expose a good 80 to those conditions tho.
A 100 would suit better imo.

I’ve had mine for 15 yrs now. Great truck. Quality is top notch. Seats are generally uncomfortable. Rear leg room sucks for tall folks, including driver seat. Tons of room in rear. Comfortable ride (with ride springs/shocks), world class off-road vehicle. Too low engine power for vehicle size/weight. Poor fuel economy for engine size/power output. Parts/ maintenance is expensive unless you can do work yourself. Many parts are now obsolete and used stuff is crazy expensive. I haven’t done one bit of maintenance on mine in over 5 years, and she just keeps running. So this is a testimony to the build quality, and I needed to address lots of key things, but she just keeps going.
I’ve been absent from the tech forum for probably over 5 years, and I’m really surprised to see many folks wanting to keep these vehicles stock and use them as DDs. With today’s fuel prices, and for the other reasons mentioned, I do not see this vehicle as a DD as much as I love them. They’re really made for and shine when touring off/road and not on city streets. Just my 2 cents.

I absolutely love my 80. It's my 3rd child and working on it is therapy after spending long days in the office. Sure it's noisy, rough around the edges, and smells a little bit but I love the character. After 10 years, 2 axles jobs, 4.88 regear, electrical work, an engine rebuild, 3 different lifts, and a massive amount of maintenance, it still beats a new car any day.

Good luck with your search @jgallo1. I had the opportunity to ride in a HDJ80 yesterday (@AWOLDoc) and today I've been searching Japanese Classics inventory and Facebook Marketplace for diesel 80's.

Welcome to the club! It's gonna be a wonderful ride!

I'm up in the PNW so if you want to travel, here's a 1996 for $12K near Seattle and then a 1995 for under $9K outside of Seattle - If you want to ever fly out this way, I'd be more than willing to meet you at the airport and drive to where they are...give me a chance to check out another Cruiser, hahaha!

Outside of those two examples, most 80's up in the Portland/Vancouver (and surrounding areas) are anywhere from $17K to $25K...they're still a high premium, but there ARE outliers.

Cheers, and again, welcome!

And a note...two things you should think about changing immediately upon buying a rig...the Heater Control Valve (Top dead center to the firewall) and the PHH (Pesky heater Hose).

The 80 series is the best Land Cruiser platform by far, but expect extensive and expensive baselining before you get to the fun stuff like bumpers and lift kits. Once you've got all the original wear items replaced, they work great and are fun to drive.

Welcome to the club! It's gonna be a wonderful ride!

I'm up in the PNW so if you want to travel, here's a 1996 for $12K near Seattle and then a 1995 for under $9K outside of Seattle - If you want to ever fly out this way, I'd be more than willing to meet you at the airport and drive to where they are...give me a chance to check out another Cruiser, hahaha!

Outside of those two examples, most 80's up in the Portland/Vancouver (and surrounding areas) are anywhere from $17K to $25K...they're still a high premium, but there ARE outliers.

Cheers, and again, welcome!

And a note...two things you should think about changing immediately upon buying a rig...the Heater Control Valve (Top dead center to the firewall) and the PHH (Pesky heater Hose).
Thanks for the offer.
I have a good buddy in crescent city and have always wanted to do some of the trails from the bottom of Oregon up into Washington. Once I get the cruiser set up maybe we could all get a trip going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom