New tires for 92 Landcruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:beer:I am ready to buy a new set of tires for my 92 FJ80, i have been looking at the Yokohama geolander AT+2 and the BFG
KO tires in 31x10.50 15 what would you guys say would be the best for 90% on the road, rain, snow/ice and cornering are the most important concerns.
What would be the next size taller i could go with without rubbing at stock height? Then i want to do some suspension changes, new shocks, springs.best brands
Any ideas.
I like a smooth firm ride
Thank you
Randy

Welcome to the board. We are finally getting a sizable force of 3FE 80's here. I run BFG KO's 31x10.50x15 on mine with the OME hvy-1" lift on mine. Running that combo for about 9k now and it is a world of difference compared to stock. As far as how big you can go...most agree you can run 33" without rubbing issues depending on if/how you wheel. You will have some performance issues with 33" and stock gears, but it depends on who you talk to.
In sum... go OME suspension products, tires - depends on your use BFG AT KO's are fine and durable, size - up to 33" stock. If you are contemplating larger than a 2" lift there are a myriad of concerns to deal with(go to sleeoffroad.com and read the technical articles).
You'll find a lot of helpful info here.

Randy, I have the Yoko geolander AT=II. I have used both those and BFG AT KO,s. The BFG,s on another truck. The yokos are quieter on the road and are stickier on snow and ice. They corner better on pavement and seem to be better in rain. Thats for the on road portion. Offroad I used the yokos at Cruise Moab and had no traction problems at all. That said the BFG,s are better in deep packed snow, 1 foot +. They chew through better. In mud they both clog up. The yokos are also less expensive. Tire wear seems to be about the same so far.
Like seminole said you should be able to run 33, stock w/o rubbing, but I would do the suspension as well if you can afford both. I would go with OME, (old man emu). Go to sleeoffroad.com . I went with australia offroad and their springs worked great until I added a bullbar, winch and sliders. Now it is apparent they are too soft. Am now trying to figure what OME spring to get. Also after looking at the articles on sleeoffroad, and you need some advise for your needs, just call them.
Regards
Sean.

RandyS-

[90% on the road, rain, snow/ice and cornering]

BFG AT KO's are great for the above. They are less than good in sticky mud. They are almost impossible to clean in 2-3in of sticky mud. But are excellent for what you state above.

I'd love to get some muds, but with only 20k mile on the KO's I afraid I'll be with them for a couple more years (unless you want them, they are 16").

Randy,
welcome to the 3fe brood.
I am currently running a 92 with ome 850,863 medium load range set springs and 33 bfg at kos. I love this set up. the only issue you will find is by going to 33" tires the 3fe valiant beast that it is, will have a harder time on hills and holding 75 on the highway without regearing. I currently depleted the #6 fund on knuckle rebuild and forementioned 33"s so will have to save up for a bit before turning diffs to 4.56. I also thought about the geolanders but I know I will get 40-50k out of my bfgs. they might be a little more expensive but I knew what I was getting. not to bag on the geolanders but I just didnt know them as well.
Dave :beer:

Randy,

Welcome. I run BFG AT KO 31x10.5 15's on my 92. I am very happy with the performance both on dry and in the snow. I live in MN so that helps. My truck is stock but had thought about going with the 33's. I decided not to because I was told by the tire shop it would affect the performance and you know as well as I do that a 3FE is already under powered.

Brian

I've run BFGs on my last 4 landcruisers, and currently am running the 31x10.5 BFG MTs. Excellent tires. The BFG ATs will work for what you want and then some. Excellent treadwear; expect 40-50K out of them.

-H-

Randy
Welcome!

Now drop the coin and get the BFG AT KO's - you will not be sad. I run them 295/75 (about 33.5") for street and any time I'm too lazy to throw on the trail tires. Best frickin all around tire you can get.

Then get swampers for the trail. :D

sorry saw junks name and knew there would be a shameless plug for the swampers.
two things you can rely on junks allegiance and my lack of typing skills.

sorry saw junks name and knew there would be a shameless plug for the swampers.
two things you can rely on junks allegiance and my lack of typing skills.

Don't forgot a very usefull reply from someone :D

Cooper Discoverer S/T. Mine are great on long highway runs, even in slush. Great in dirt, good in wet mud/clay/sand/snow (but I'm running little tires). They're becoming more popular here and in Australia for on/off road use. Wish I'd gone 285, but probably better off with 265s on the highway.

:beer:Thanks for all the tire opinons, i did go for the geolander at+2 today partly because they were in my price range. I realy like them,they are quite and corner well. one question i have is there a preferd tire air pressure i should use or should i just go with whats on the tire?

:beer:Thanks for all the tire opinons, i did go for the geolander at+2 today partly because they were in my price range. I realy like them,they are quite and corner well. one question i have is there a preferd tire air pressure i should use or should i just go with whats on the tire?
Start with whats on the tire and then play with it until you get what you like.

I saw something a while back about tire pressure that was very interesting. I don't remember the source but it goes like this. It seems that the variance between cold and hot tire pressure should be 4PSI. Say for example If your cold pressure is 32PSI then your hot should read 36PSI. If it reads lower than 4PSI above cold the cold pressure is too high and if it reads greater than 4PSI higher the cold pressure is too low. I checked this against the factory pressure of 32PSI in the 275/70/16's I set mine cold at 32PSI and buzzed 98 miles to a highpower match. At the other end my hot pressure was 36PSI, right on the nose. I have also tried it with my 305's and found the same variance. I don't know if this is urban legend or not, I wish I could remember where I read it :dunno:

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom