new squeak after replacing shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 Land Cruiser, 198k miles. Just finished replacing my shocks and now there's a fairly loud squeaking from the front end as the truck moves over bumpy surfaces. Is this just normal noise from the new cushions settling in? Did the changed geometry due to the new shocks set off a ball joint or bushing in the front end? How can I test to figure this out? The sound appears to be coming only from the front end, which makes me think it's not normal settling-in of the cushions. But I'm no expert at diagnosing these sorts of things.

BTW both old and new shocks were/are OEM Tokico, so I don't imagine any change in geometry would have been very substantial - but maybe enough to push an old ball joint or bushing over the edge. All other suspension bits except the new shocks are factory original (i.e. pretty much worn out).

TIA.

I am having the same issue. Replaced upper control arms and still squeaking. Any thoughts?

I recently replaced all four shocks. From OEM to OEM. Both of my rears then began squeaking. It was a pretty quiet squeak that could really only be heard at super slow speed, but it barely took anything to make it squeak. Just driving on a gravel driveway at 3mph for example. Anyway, I decided to "reinstall" the shocks (and springs and stabilizer bar links) and really pay attention to torques and anything else I may have missed. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my issue was I had the shock cushion retainers in the wrong place/orientation. On the bottom cushion, I had the top retainer placed wrong. I had it on the top cushion, on the bottom side. Squeak went away after fixing that. I also torqued everything a little more accurate. I think I had the top shock nuts too tight, since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there. That could have also been the cause of the squeak, but I'm 99% sure it was the retainers. The over torque could have increased the squeak volume though. Next time I may do the access hole from inside the cargo area instead of guessing the torque amount.

Hope this helps! It was very satisfying getting my last squeak taken care of.

Last edited:
I recently replaced all four shocks. From OEM to OEM. Both of my rears then began squeaking. It was a pretty quiet squeak that could really only be heard at super slow speed, but it barely took anything to make it squeak. Just driving on a gravel driveway at 3mph for example. Anyway, I decided to "reinstall" the shocks (and springs and stabilizer bar links) and really pay attention to torques and anything else I may have missed. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my issue was I had the shock cushion retainers in the wrong place/orientation. On the bottom cushion, I had the top retainer placed wrong. I had it on the top cushion, on the bottom side. Squeak went away after fixing that. I also torqued everything a little more accurate. I think I had the top shock nuts too tight, since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there. That could have also been the cause of the squeak, but I'm 99% sure it was the retainers. The over torque could have increased the squeak volume though. Next time I may do the access hole from inside the cargo area instead of guessing the torque amount.

Hope this helps! It was very satisfying getting my last squeak taken care of.
Thank you for the help. I had the rear tightened and then the wife drove it for a few weeks and it disappeared.

From the symptoms you mentioned, it is likely that it wasn’t torqued back to spec. I will start with that especially on the UCA bolts (if you loosened it).

Check tightness, spray cushions/mounting points with silicone. go play on a bumpy road, squeaks should resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom