New Ride: 67 Stout (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just added this one:

So the hunt for parts is on! It shares some parts with the 45LVs . . . .:D

5I85Ne5M43E93N63Hdc73f17e0ac378581051.jpg

Sout.photo.jpg

Shares rear tail lights with the 45LPB. So... where do you live exactly?

Nice score, by the way.

Steve,

Its good to be back. Been working my tail off in the last year for a new boss. Nearly 70 days in Charlotte this year.

Cirbo,

I spend a bunch of time in Charlotte, so I won't be bringing the Stout there now :grinpimp: !

She might be purdy on the outside, but I have my work cut out underneath. First task will be to remove 45 years of oily crud from underneath, then move on to replacing oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Remarkably, the little 1.9 L 4 cylinder engine is still strong no smoke. Gotta bunch of little stuff to do:
1. Get wipers working;
2. Make sure the brakes really, really work;
3. Rhinoline the bed (this is going to be a working truck);
4. Find original wheels (or FJ 40 wheels);
5. Tighten up a bunch of fittings on the engine (read here very loose fit on air cleaner to carb);
6. Replace a bunch of plastic lens;
7. Wire brush/sand/ blast frame and apply POR;
8. Get the Temperature gauge working.

While there is no parts source for these trucks (other than junk yards), a lot of the non-engine parts are the same as the 45LVs from the same time period. I have ordered a bunch of engine gaskets from Rockautoparts for a Corolla from the same era as they share the same engine.

If you need help wire wheeling the frame and applying POR... I think I owe you...

Beautiful. SO this is going to be your resto thread? I'm looking forward to this. The Stout has always intrigued me as to how it was put together. I've really only seen exterior shots. And little to no literature.

Last edited:
Nice looking truck, David. If you ever want to grab dinner or a beer while you are in CLT, we are usually around with a little notice. :beer:

Thanks guys! This is probably a resto thread. Like every seller, the guy who sold it to me said it was frame off resto. I say Nay Nay. While the work he did was good, I've got a laundry list to do. Lots of wire wheeling the frame like we did on jays 40. Lots of little issues and some big, like brakes.

Hopefully. It will be roadworthy enough to make it to Marshall's in November.

Good to hear from you, been awhile. Looks like a fun project. Hope to be at the parts swap to see it as well. Be sure to update your sig. ;)

That is a nice truck. I think Marshall is hinting at some interior pics until he gets to drool on it in person.

Here are some pics

Not as pretty as little JP, but

image.jpg

Last edited:
That is sooo retro and cool! Better find some OEM size tires for it!:cheers:

Very very cool David!

there is still one at the shop where I was scoping an HJ45 and almost got distracted
nother nice one in CLT for sale; both tug at my attention at times

Spent all weekend removing rust from underneath and crud from the engine compartment. Found a good parts source in Long Beach, California (Cabe Toyota). Using a sandblaster on the underside of a truck is a bear!!! Thinking about calling the mobile soda blaster, might be worth the $300-$400 - - been picking sand out of my ears for days!

The 1.9L 4 engine is an amazing little workhourse. 45 years old and still sputtering along, no cloud of smoke!

Project 1 completed

The spare on the Stout is mounted underneath the bed. Pretty modern for 1967. After blasting it down to shiny metal, I painted it land cruiser grey. This will be a recurring theme.

I call this part "burning man."

image.jpg

The bed is in good shape, but I don't understand why the PO didn't blast and paint the underside. I plan on taking the bed off like jp did, flip it over, and blast away. Lots of surface rust and scaling...just in time to save it.

image.jpg

Engine compartment

Plan to take everything out, clean, prime and paint compartment red.

image.jpg

You should reach out to Forrest5000, a Charlotte-area member of ONSC who has a FJ45 and has or had a 1966 Stout (he listed it for sale once upon a time).

Just passed the NC DMV "theft bureau" inspection, but just barely! The VIN plate was in less than pristine condition (read here screwed in, not riveted) so, we had to sand down the frame to find the matching VIN number. Found it!:clap:

The DMV guy was super nice and shared with me that there are only 2 other stouts in NC, with mine being the oldest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom